Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-04-2009, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Maine is a quirky place. I grew up and started landscaping in NJ, with all of the competition, prices are held in check. Up here, there really isn't a lot of competition for anything...except maybe snowplowing....so that guy could almost name his price! That is why I would consider doing the worms myself, so I better talk with him, and then look into suppliers of waste materials to feed the worms!

Now for the brewer.....I will be researching that and will need to figure out how to build one! Stay tuned for more questions, I can already feel them coming on!
Old 02-04-2009, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pristine1 View Post
Maine is a quirky place. I grew up and started landscaping in NJ, with all of the competition, prices are held in check. Up here, there really isn't a lot of competition for anything...except maybe snowplowing....so that guy could almost name his price! That is why I would consider doing the worms myself, so I better talk with him, and then look into suppliers of waste materials to feed the worms!

Now for the brewer.....I will be researching that and will need to figure out how to build one! Stay tuned for more questions, I can already feel them coming on!
Where in NJ?
Make sure you get to the ELA show in Springfield MA.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 02-04-2009, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Grew up in South Plainfield, did landscaping in Middlesex, Somerset, and Hunterdon Counties. Mostly Hillsboro, Montgomery, South Brunswick, and Princeton areas. I am going to try and get to that, gotta work out the kid stuff with my wife!
Old 02-04-2009, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok, there is a ton of stuff on compost brewers out there....no surprise I guess! One that caught my eye is the "BobOlater". Odd name, but seemed decent. Also had a 500 gal brewer/applicator, not sure if that is realistic due to the amount of brew time needed.

Anybody know anything about this brewer???
Old 02-04-2009, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

you want a cone based high air, known design. look at the features like does it come with a pump? does it use that pump to get the tea to the truck?, air pump life??? is it easy to clean?? open top and all that?? can you repair the tank if its damaged or is it a poly tank that is meant for static liquids??? is it stock parts that are available even if the manufacture is gone later??? did they teach you about it or let you go it on your own???

then there is the cost..................
Old 02-04-2009, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Getting warmer.....
Old 02-04-2009, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Start small and things will become clearer...
Old 02-04-2009, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Member

That's of course if you don't have money to burn...
Old 02-04-2009, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Member

If you are truly serious about making good product and understanding for your self the micro world??

You will need a microscope. You can find cheap scopes on ebay I believe but If you got It? buy a new one, if possible get one with phase contrast. High end scopes are valuable instruments and life long investments that lose really little value as long as you take care of them? You Do Not need to have a 1000+ scope to get a view of the micro world. Ive seen bright field scopes on ebay starting at hundred bucks that would do the job?

You could wing it making tea's and not get a scope as some don't have thembut you will never fully understand what you got.

Did I mention about a Dissolved oxygen meter needed so you can tell if your tea is aerobic or has gone anaerobic that's a bad thing making AACT.

Start with great worm cast, and go from there learning to use other types of biology sources.

get a five gallon bucket, couple small air stones, some tubing, and the best dame little aquarium air pump you can find under 50 bucks.

O'yeah you will need some food to feed your bugs

Black strap molasses , liquid kelp or meal"Fine grind", Fish Hydrolysate"not emulsion" Use these in different proportion's accordingly.
These are the basics, the sky the limit when it comes to what you could possibly use to feed but lets keep it simple for now? Use at lest one of those or even table sugar will do you fine.

You will be surprised how little you will need to feed when brewing "remember the DO meter?"

Start making 1-2 gallon batches and give it a go.
once your there some will help you with recipes?
Put under scope and view....Life? who?
Now you have your scope you can take soil and compost sample's too and view what most can't see
Old 02-05-2009, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Thank you Mr. Nice! I will be checking ebay today for the 'scope, and then playing around with a 5 gallon bucket before I "invest" in a full blown brewer....just so I know what my best choice for compost is.

In terms of a sprayer, is 2 gal/1k a good baseline for spraying CT? I will probably build my own to start, so I may go with a 100 gal tank and go from there. If I should plan on more per thousand, then I will need to up my tank size.

Also, ballpark #'s only, what should I expect to need to charge per square foot? I know that there are a lot of variables in this, so I know it would be a rough number.

Thanks again for all of the info, I feel like a sponge right now!