Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-05-2009, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
I'm gonna be the black sheep here and suggest looking into extraction instead of AACT given the volume you are considering. If you have a cheap and plentiful supply of compost, this could potentially save you much money on startup costs.
OK, just as I thought I was getting my head wrapped around a program, now I'm back to the beginning!LOL

So what is the difference between extraction and AACT???
Old 02-05-2009, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nice View Post
Imo good AACT provides more then just microbes?

With out a doubt compost is king! are all compost created equal?

Tea's and foods apps are just tools in the bigger picture of things. All situations are different, to me organic practices should never be set in stone. Use whats needed at the time and go from there to meet your goals. if your grow needs immediate N? use urea or other?? just keep your EC under 1..

Use what appropriate, situation depending. There are no silver bullets, not even compost is one." of course depending on existing conditions"

I know a good soil drench and light foliar app of tea at the same time does wonders for turf ,tree's shrubs, annuals/perennials

If your soil test comes back with super high OM, good nutrient profile and a truly active complete
microbe community? is compost necessary? If you start with great soil? water properly mulch clippings if turf and feed accordingly if needed..?

Moral of the story? What are your goals? take appropriate measures to complete grow.
There is no SET way to apply tea's or anything for that matter..they are tools, learn about and how to use them correctly.

As far as what to charge??? it really depends on what your client expects and your market will allow.

I find most in this biz use a synthetic program wrapped in a organic matter bow because it's easy and marketable.

Again it will become clearer over time what works, what doesn't, whats real and whats not? Im not criticizing but there's many ways to do it.

Again what does your costumer expect from you???
can you give them a realistically/economically priced program to meet their needs.

It's up to YOU to explain the realities of organic's, whats possible and whats not given the situation and economics. and what you are capable of doing for them?

GOOD LUCK!

We haven't even addressed the weed issue yet? Don't make it complicated, be realistic with your costumers...
Yeah, that weed thing has been in the back of my head, but I think that will be a little more manageable. Worst case scenario, I have to spot spray. The way I will be selling it to my customers is that a healthy stand of turf is the best weed control, and the best way to get that is organically treating the soil. But don't worry, I'll most certainly have some questions about weeds!
Old 02-05-2009, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pristine1 View Post
OK, just as I thought I was getting my head wrapped around a program, now I'm back to the beginning!LOL

The basic difference is you're stripping the microbes off the compost and not adding any foods for them to multiply. The microbes are kept in a dormant state, and then in turn have more "shelf life". 5-7 days typically. You will use roughly 5 times more compost. Some systems can do 3000 gallons per hour. You don't have the wait time to brew. This is used a lot on farms and systems that treat a lot of acreage.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pristine1 View Post
brewed you grow out the biology and extracted you are just removing the existing biology............
Old 02-05-2009, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treegal1 View Post
brewed you grow out the biology and extracted you are just removing the existing biology............
poor poor leftover compost... it's all alone

Old 02-05-2009, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
So brewed, we are basically creating our own concoction. Extracted, we only get what the compost has??? If one were to extract, then what makes the microbes active once they are applied?

One other question that I have is this: Up here, we don't begin to see warm (65+ degrees) regularly until late May. How will that affect the application of the microbes? Will the colder temps kill them, or do they just move a lot slower?

I ask that because I am trying to put together a bus. plan for this and just want to know when I would realistically be able to apply CT.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

well...........as soon as its above 40F, IMO ( hold on while i put on the flame suit) the compost tea, brewed or extracted is going to have nutrients and biology in it at almost any temp. how active or dormant the biology is??? its still there., try and brew at the soil temp. I think the real answer is what is the plant/grass doing, is it dormant or is it alive and growing, there by up-taking nutrients that it needs to grow. yes at low temps the thermophiles are going to take a hit but the mesophiles are going to still be there. some mesophiles, said to be psychrotolerant, exhibit slow growth at lower temperatures, they include soil microbes that must be able to survive temperature extremes. hope this helps some............
Old 02-05-2009, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I think the real answer is what is the plant/grass doing, is it dormant or is it alive and growing, there by up-taking nutrients that it needs to grow. .
I think I agree.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

As long as the ground isn't frozen, you should be OK.
Does it ever thaw in Maine?

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 02-05-2009, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
I think I agree.
dang it man, rod said you know it all