Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-04-2009, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
lemme guess ... you rigged something up with a volks beetle engine.
Doppstadt 720 Trommel dont worry Kiril you will see.............
Old 02-04-2009, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah I have drooled over big machinery like that for a while. This is a pic of my main supplier. The pic is over a year old. You can see they have one screener in there, I think they have more.
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2009, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddstopper View Post
By the way,after taking another look at the pic, they did incorporate a jackshaft/pulley system for a gear reduction. I still think it was more for slowing the drum down than it was for torque.
Considering the size of that electric motor I think we are both right?
Old 02-04-2009, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Don't screen it at all ... 1/2" is acceptable IMO.

Seems to me any "cheap" solution will not be very scalable or cost effective. I suppose if you only need to do 1 yard of compost per month, not a big deal .... 100 yards + of compost per month makes it an entirely different game.

You are probably right for most situations, but I have a unique reason for wanting it screend down to smaller sizes. I have tried to find a way to efficently mix compost in my hydroseeder for seeding applications. The cheap compost with larger pieces simply causes more cloggs than its worth. 1/8 inch compost seems to be pretty acceptable. Screening down to that size can be a problem, but I think I have the moisture problem figured out.

Two options. One, add a brush attachment to rub against the outside of drum as it turns, this will pull the small particles thru the screen. This works on moist clay dirt and should work on compost.

Second option, spray more water and make a slurry. This would wash the small particles thru the screen, but would require doing quanities in advance and letting the material dryout before appying to a lawn. Even if used in the hydroseeder, handleing the extra weight of wet compost isnt my ideal of a fun day. Not to mention the possible loss of nutrients. Wait, make compost tea with the extra water.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

you should be able to get a small1/16 size if thats what you want to do..............
Old 02-04-2009, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
You are probably right for most situations, but I have a unique reason for wanting it screend down to smaller sizes. I have tried to find a way to efficently mix compost in my hydroseeder for seeding applications. The cheap compost with larger pieces simply causes more cloggs than its worth. 1/8 inch compost seems to be pretty acceptable. Screening down to that size can be a problem, but I think I have the moisture problem figured out.

Two options. One, add a brush attachment to rub against the outside of drum as it turns, this will pull the small particles thru the screen. This works on moist clay dirt and should work on compost.

Second option, spray more water and make a slurry. This would wash the small particles thru the screen, but would require doing quanities in advance and letting the material dryout before appying to a lawn. Even if used in the hydroseeder, handleing the extra weight of wet compost isnt my ideal of a fun day. Not to mention the possible loss of nutrients. Wait, make compost tea with the extra water.
Anyone interested in one ton bulk sacks of 1/8" screened worm castings delivered at economical pricing? Save your labor and time. Great for topdressing, planting, tea making.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 02-04-2009, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
Anyone interested in one ton bulk sacks of 1/8" screened worm castings delivered at economical pricing? Save your labor and time. Great for topdressing, planting, tea making.
that's a large screen for casts???most I have used are a little smaller.360$ a sack???
Old 02-04-2009, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Bill,
I am going to call you, was a bit busy today.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUtah View Post
Bill,
I am going to call you, was a bit busy today.
what are you going to call him???

ok so back on track, low cost try and find some wood say some 2x4's and some wire mesh, maybe some 1/8 mesh??

then stand it up on legs, and let gravity do the rest????? average labor can shovel about a yard or 2 an hour???
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2009, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
You are probably right for most situations, but I have a unique reason for wanting it screend down to smaller sizes. I have tried to find a way to efficently mix compost in my hydroseeder for seeding applications.
Yup, in your case I definitely agree, 1/2 is too big unless your using a fire hose