Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-04-2009, 11:35 AM
OrangeToys's Avatar
OrangeToys OrangeToys is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SW MO
Posts: 1,001
Solo question

I am looking to go full time this up coming season and I only have one major fear right now. I am solo (unless the weather puts me behind) and I have a scag 61" mower and big question is "what is the biggest yards some of you solo guys can do in a days time?"

And yes I do realize that this is a difficulte question to answer but I'm just needing and estimate.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-04-2009, 12:17 PM
BQLC's Avatar
BQLC BQLC is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: South Mississippi
Posts: 578
do you have smaller mowers? the reason i ask because there will be alot of gates that mower will not get thru.
I personally do not have any large accounts but i do have my own yard that is about 2 acres and it takes me about 3 hours to cut it but i have alot of trees and things that i have to trimm around hope this helps
__________________
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming..."Wow! What a ride!"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-04-2009, 12:17 PM
JS Landscaping's Avatar
JS Landscaping JS Landscaping is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Orange County NY
Posts: 186
Kinda hard to give you a exact answer. There are too many variables such as size of the property, number of obstacles, the topography of it as well. If you have flat out fields to mow, with minimal trimming you will be able to get more in one day. Hills, and obstacles will naturally slow you down and take you longer. Your best bet is to time each of your lawns and figure out how long they take and plan to have at least one day to catch up such as a saturday or saturday and sunday if need be. Remember spring and fall cuttings will take longer due to higher turf growth, summer time you might be able to zip through them quicker due to slower growth. Also figure in drive time and load and unload time into each of your accoutns, it adds up.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-04-2009, 01:23 PM
White Gardens's Avatar
White Gardens White Gardens is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bloomington IL
Posts: 6,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenbowLawn View Post
I am looking to go full time this up coming season and I only have one major fear right now. I am solo (unless the weather puts me behind) and I have a scag 61" mower and big question is "what is the biggest yards some of you solo guys can do in a days time?"

And yes I do realize that this is a difficult question to answer but I'm just needing and estimate.

If you have a good urban route with minimal travel, efficiency, etc... Then you can easily pull 15 residentials a day. Keep in mind it takes a while to establish that.

I've known some guys that pull 30 a day.


If your solo, then always think SAFETY. As soon as your hurt, you can't make money.
__________________
White Gardens On Facebook.......WG Thread......Greencare For Troops......... mywhitegardens.com(under construction)

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-04-2009, 02:35 PM
OrangeToys's Avatar
OrangeToys OrangeToys is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SW MO
Posts: 1,001
ok this is going to sound rude but nobody has evan came close to answering the question. I know how many I can do in a day. My question was "what is or what do you think the biggest job size that a solo person could complete in a day"? An example would be something like mowing an elementary school or something.

Is there a solo operation doing this?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-04-2009, 03:21 PM
djagusch djagusch is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 3,414
My largest is 34 town home unit that takes 4.5 hours in and out. After that I start dragging not because of being tired just because it seems like there is no end. I still do 4 to 5 more hours after that but it is broken up. It's a matter of what a individual wants to do and their mentality. Some may be able to work on one site all day but not me.

Also by looking at properties by size is misleading. 20 acres with your mower would take a long time, but the same guy with a 15ft batwing mower on back of a tractor can easily do that in a couple hrs and still be solo.

So what you are asking is very dependent on you and your equipment. I would say most can do 5 acre sites without a problem with a 61" ZTR. When you get 8 to 10 acres then it gets a little longer.

Is this what you are looking for?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-04-2009, 05:38 PM
lawnprosteveo's Avatar
lawnprosteveo lawnprosteveo is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenbowLawn View Post
ok this is going to sound rude but nobody has evan came close to answering the question. I know how many I can do in a day. My question was "what is or what do you think the biggest job size that a solo person could complete in a day"? An example would be something like mowing an elementary school or something.

Is there a solo operation doing this?
Ill try to answer...If I understand you correctly, you are wondering how big of a job is too big for a solo guy. True?

I can mow, trim, and blow an acre by myself in about 45 minutes. This is using a 48" Deere Quik Trak and trimming a chain link fence around the entire perimeter.

I had a condo association that wasnt as big, but had little mini yards...about 15 of them plus an entry way. It took me 1 1/2 hours. So it all depends on how large, how much trimming and blowing...lotsa variables.

As a solo guy, smaller properties are best IMO. I will have my son helping me this season so I will look to add some larger properties.

Hope this helps
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-04-2009, 07:07 PM
OrangeToys's Avatar
OrangeToys OrangeToys is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SW MO
Posts: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by djagusch View Post
My largest is 34 town home unit that takes 4.5 hours in and out. After that I start dragging not because of being tired just because it seems like there is no end. I still do 4 to 5 more hours after that but it is broken up. It's a matter of what a individual wants to do and their mentality. Some may be able to work on one site all day but not me.

Also by looking at properties by size is misleading. 20 acres with your mower would take a long time, but the same guy with a 15ft batwing mower on back of a tractor can easily do that in a couple hrs and still be solo.

So what you are asking is very dependent on you and your equipment. I would say most can do 5 acre sites without a problem with a 61" ZTR. When you get 8 to 10 acres then it gets a little longer.

Is this what you are looking for?
Thank you for helping me out on this that is more of what I was looking for.

Also djagusch thank you for your input.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-04-2009, 07:14 PM
RGM's Avatar
RGM RGM is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Baltimore Md
Posts: 924
with a 60'' lazer I could cut and trim atleast 4 large (3-5 acres) in a day solo
__________________

60'' Gravely pro-turn 29 hp
60" Exmark lazar 23 hp
48" Snapper pro walk behind 14 hp kawasaki
21" Lawn boy
echo blower trimmers etc.
2005 Ford ranger v 6 4x4
Go O's
Go Raven's
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-04-2009, 08:36 PM
djagusch djagusch is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 3,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM View Post
with a 60'' lazer I could cut and trim atleast 4 large (3-5 acres) in a day solo
Completely agree with you there. But if it was 20 acres at one location for that day would be a drag, at least to me.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:41 AM.

Page generated in 0.10822 seconds with 7 queries