Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-03-2009, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

oooohhhhh....now theres a good question..........

I dont see Hunter changing names of the company or doing to much to say "hey we own FX" except to their distributing partners to whom they want to bring the product line in. Most contractors will be introduced to FX as FX and not as FX owned by Hunter. In all I think this will become a good thing for FX as Hunter will get the product line into more areas of distribution. But I too wonder how the relationship will change, if at all with Ewing? Only time will tell.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hasn't anyone ever told you guys that water and electricity don't mix?

(Thank you, thank you very much... I will be here all week.)

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 03-03-2009, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
I don't know if I like this. I'm a Rain Bird guy. And I'm pretty tight with them. So the last thing I try to do is support the other guys. I have always liked FX Lum. I use them sometimes. Unique is our main brand but I always considered FX to be our second brand. Now I am not so sure I'll be buying as much. I am not a big Hunter fan. Just a personal choice.

I look at it this way, what if George Bush or Obama bought out CAST lighting. I may have liked CAST before, but now if I am a die-hard conservative, no way in hell I'm going to keep buying cast if Obama buys them out. And vice versa with Bush. A lot of liberals would never consider buying anything Bush owned.

Now I know that's a little drastic example. But you don't have to be in the irrigation forum for very long to realize that Rain Bird / Hunter are fairly polarizing companies. Guys either like one or the other. And if they like one, they tend not to want anything to do with the other. So I am not sure if Hunter buying FX makes more contractors want to use them, or less.

I know it's going to make me shy away from them.
I think that kind of brand loyalty is a little misplaced sometimes.

Just like I've never understood people identifying themswelves as either Ford or Chevy fanatics either... (never mind the Mopar nuts .)

I've owned different brands of vehicles (and maint. equipment back when I did that), and they all have their strengths and weaknesses...

I'm loyal to good products and good service, and sometimes the particular product to meet a specific need, whichever brand I choose.

I want a distributor and manufacturer who listen to me now and then and act quickly on warranty issues.

I won't put all my eggs in one basket. I've learned better.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Gregg...CHEVY SUCKS!!!

LOL
Old 03-03-2009, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Member

FORD swallows.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

and Dodge Blows...

HA!

(Looks like I will be in a 2009 Toyota as of April... unless GM decides to play nice.)

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 03-03-2009, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

LMAO.....this thread made a turn for the better!! LOL
Old 03-03-2009, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Deleted Deleted
Old 03-04-2009, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I've been doing irrigation repair and install for over 20 years, and I have to admit, I have seen the polarized installers, rainbird/hunter, and toro way back when, and never really understood it. I always tended to gravitate toward products that worked and performed the best, and were easy to install and maintain. That means for me hunter rotors and rainbird controllers, but I have installed many variations of each, and toro multi stream rotors in the past.

I personally like when competitors are married to a brand, as it opens the door for me to install a better performing product. I may like FX's trans, and some of thier fixtures, but many of thier fixtures are not the best for the application, or the best price. I actually hate thier habit of using italian names, as it is nealy impossible for me to remember the name of the mini-wall washer I installed 3 years back, or whatever. I have to look back at the catalog.

it is my hope that FX and hunter continue building what they build well.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gretzmier View Post
I actually hate thier habit of using italian names, as it is nealy impossible for me to remember the name of the mini-wall washer I installed 3 years back, or whatever. I have to look back at the catalog.
It was always my theory that the Italian names came from some misguided attempt to differentiate themselves in the marketplace... maybe after a dinner at a restaurant that involved too many bottles of Chianti :-)

I just go with the letter-number combo. For instance, FaroGiardino becomes FG12... RotundaLuna becomes RL20... much simpler that way.

FX produces the only aluminum alloy fixtures I will install near the ground anymore. My experience has shown them to be far superior to Vista, Nightscaping or Hadco in terms of finish integrity and corrosion resistance...