Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-04-2009, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone using cement curb makers?

Hi guys, im new to this site. i have a small lawn business and im thinking of expanding into landscape a little more.I love the look of curb landscape, and i have been researching some equipment and prices.But i was wondering if any of you guys have any of this equipment{such as lil bubba,curb-king,etc} and what you think of it and if it is really worth buying.

thanks in advance
Old 02-06-2009, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Member

i am also intrested in seeing what people have to say about these products. seems like it could be a nice add on service.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'd like to see some comments, but I don't think that it looks to good. I also would bet that it break into smaller sections over a winter or two.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I agree, must be a reason we don't see it much up here. Likely the never ending freeze-thaw action of our winter. See tons of it in warmer climates though, you could always do a nice stone edging though.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This site is very northern concentrated I think, thus the destruction of these curbs in winter. I think all the rebar and such to reinforce would just price the curbs out of the market if they were offered up here. I don't think there's many people setup to do that kind of work on here. Could be interesting though to see some $$ figures and if they're as good as some of the lofty claims.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm in the south. I've seen a couple of installations. I would bet, that since there's no real foundation, curbs are shalow, long and skinny, they would have to crack. I met a guy a few years ago, that was gung-ho with his new curbing business. I think he gave it up after a couple of months.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

There is a probably one hundred of these posts on here. The same lawn mowing guys ask the very same question every month or so. The number of franchises for sale for almost nothing and the number of equipment auctions should answer your question.

But hey concrete goes in one end and curb comes out the other. What could be easier right...
Old 02-08-2009, 02:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The problem that I'm seeing with the curbing industry is that the projected net income from the business leads guys that should never be doing it....into the business. I'm talking about guys looking to make a quick buck. However, in the south it works pretty well - from what I can tell. I am planning on picking up a used set up so that we have a lower cost edging option to provide our clients. If you spend the time to prep the base right and finish it right, I think you can provide a very nice looking, long lasting, edge.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Most paver and wall block companies have some sort of curbing block, that is what I use.
I agree that any poured concrete with a shallow footer will crack sooner or later, and I don't want to be called when it does.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bru75 View Post
Most paver and wall block companies have some sort of curbing block, that is what I use.
I agree that any poured concrete with a shallow footer will crack sooner or later, and I don't want to be called when it does.

As for "shallow footer", I was under the impression that they used the "no footer' method