Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-04-2002, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

blacktop sealing..do you do it?..$$$??

Last year when the turf when dormant I pushed blacktop sealing to primarily neighbors, friends and a few good clients. Very profitable work and EZ to do....just be very careful where you step!!! made that mistake more than once..dah...

Used only an Agway sealer (not filler)...$7 for 5 gal.....did a very nice job...( was told by a guy who has the largest paving company in the area that the worst thing people do is place heavy filler material sealers on...the driveway needs to breathe or otherwise it will crack sooner than if you put nothing at all on it.)..I mention this b4 any of you say this product is junk... driveways were all in pretty good shape b4 I started. The prices charged here in my area are between $225 and $300.( rough avg of about 1500 to 2000 sg ft rolled on) I charged on avg $150 and easily netted $100 for 1.5 hrs of work. I only found a few posts here on this...do any of you smaller guys find this profitable as I have? I dont price per foot unless the driveway is huge... if you do this how do you price?? thanks much...Kitzy
Old 03-04-2002, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess if you was using a good sealer, and doing quality work, it may be something to consider. You see a lot of people doing this around here, and they use cheap,watered down sealer that don`t last. I would not want people to associate my company with them. I may be checking into this to supplement my income.

I have some customers that get their drives sealed all the time, and are asking if I know anyone that does it. Mabey this year, I can say, I can take of that for you, would you like a bid?
Kitzy: How did you come across info on a good type sealer to use.
I would be interested on how to bid a larger drive also.
Old 03-04-2002, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Member

I was thinking of offering this service, but got so busy last year that it never materialized. Is there a lot of compatition in this service in your area?
Old 03-04-2002, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Premo...a couple of years ago I bought someof this Ageay product and used it on my bigggg driveway...after a year it looked as good as my neighbors who paid the big bucks to have it done ...soI started using it for clients...and they are very pleased

Around August a couple of companies here do major door to door fliers for sealing.. they all do very good work...but like I said, the price they charge is frankly ridiculous...b4 I started doing my own I had them estimate for me...it was like $250...no way I would pay that...and I'm not 'lowballing' either...I guess since this is one of their core services they want a higher price

I have not, and will not market this service separately...I do this primarlily for existing turf customers...if you try to match these companies who do this full time they will eat your lunch in marketing penetration...now if someone stops by and asks me for a quote, I'll give it to them but I dont do any mass cold call advertising...and since a driveway should not be sealed every year I dont do that much of it but its a nice sideline
Old 03-04-2002, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Member

kitzy,
i was wondering if you could give me some more info on the way you seal the driveways? do you use a roller or one of those brush squeeges you see in the home depots?? i too was going to offer this during a dry spell but i need some suggestions on product application and pricing. Does the job look as good as the guys who spray it on with the agway stuff? any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks

Dman
Old 03-04-2002, 03:22 PM

Location: PRETTY SOON BETWEEN PALERMO AND AYRSHIRE BUT RIGHT NOW SWEET HOME CHICAGO
Around here guys are out in trucks with their spray equipment knocking on doors everywhere .Ive seen em give a price and do the job right then and there.
I never really thought about sealcoating until this summer seeing these guys running over one another doing it.
What do you guys use to spray the stuff with?
Old 03-04-2002, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

DMON...I'm no expert at this but my results are excellent:

I use a roller not a brush or squeegee
trim the grass back at all edges..then blow off the driveway
tape the edges around walks and tape a straight line at the street so a nice straight line is created

NEVER DO THIS IN THEHOT SUN...IF YOU CAN'T GET A JOB DONE BY 10 am wait til another day...the spray guys can do it anytime...in the heat and applying it by hand it creates brush marks...looks like Harry Homewoner did it

take a bottled water jug cut in half and use this to scoop the material out of the 5 gal can..do small areas but keep moving and keep a 'wet edge' just like painting a wall..and be careful where you step!!! wear old sneaks for this and keep them

suggest you go to an abandoned store or warehouse...you really need to practice this but once you've done it and get a feel for it you will find it very easy money...but again the number one most important thing to remember is to do it as early in the moring as possible...its a nightmare if the driveway gets hot..hope this helps
Old 03-04-2002, 05:04 PM

Location: PRETTY SOON BETWEEN PALERMO AND AYRSHIRE BUT RIGHT NOW SWEET HOME CHICAGO
kitzy

I see these guys around here spaying the stuff on
Old 03-04-2002, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

yes they do that here also...I just don't know anything about the spray technique...I'msure someone here will reply on the spray technique...I just haven't looked into the spray apparatus...my old fashined works for me but spaying looks even quicker and the learning curve might be less
Old 03-04-2002, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Member

kitzy,
thanks for your reply and help. Where do you get the roller you need and what size is it and is it like a paint roller where you can just replace the nap??. Alot of guys spray but i don't have the capitol for that kind of unit now. Do you use masking tape to tape off the drive?? I don't have a agway around me so i assume any of the regular(inexpensive sealers) would do ?? Thanks for the info!!

Dman