Register free!

Old 02-05-2009, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Member

My first pond

Alright, I'm 19 years old and have always wanted to put a pond in the back yard. So I got going at it in November. Keep in mind this has been an on going project and I plan on putting plants around the pond and getting more stone that is diffrent than what I already have. Anyways here are the pictures. What do you think for a first timer? I learned a ton doing this myself.

Before

Partially done. I have done alot more work with the rocks and it looks alot better than this picture. I don't have any really recent ones but when I get some new ones I'll post them up here.
Craftsman 21" 7hp mower
Ariens LM22s 22" Walk behind mower
Stihl FS 90R Trimmer (2011)
Stihl FC 90R Edger (2011)
Stihl BR-600 (2012)
Husqvarna 125BT Backpack blower
Husqvarna 455 Rancher (professional chain)
Poulan "wild thing"
Proudly volunteering with Samaritan's Purse U.S Disaster Relief team since April, 2011

Insured by GLOCK
Old 02-05-2009, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Member

hey man good effert. i like the design. i just wanted to let you know that flag stone is a very UNnatural stone for water features. i learned that the hard way on my first pondless. can i give you some poiters? i would take all of that stone off and make a very nice patio or walkway with the flag. if you do a patio you and your family and friends will be able to get right up next to it and really enjoy it. i would replace it with some nice cobble and your local landscape supply yard should have a "pond mix" which is from 2"-18" cobs. That way you can handle all the stone with on person and not have to rent any equipment. maybe some small boulders that you can move. I like the size and the design but those are just so ideas. stay open minded and youur pond will beeome your master piece. ventureweat is another pond guy that will have some great ideas. keep up the good work man.

The Bug
Old 02-05-2009, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nice job for your first pond. Scooterbug311--You seem very knowledgeable....if and when I do ponds ad waterfalls (maybe someday) I will be sure to post pics for you to critique.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 02-06-2009, 07:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good job. Like said before you might want to change the stone around a bit.
I can see that flag stone being used as a patio around that pond now. I even see you sipping on a glass of tea sitting next to your pond. I keep wanting to try my 1st pond but have not gotten to it yet.

It's the only job i know,
Where i can walk in circles and talk to myself
And no one thinks i'm crazy.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Member

I would love to use the flagstone to make a patio back there by the pond. Maybe one day I'll convince my parents to let me "redo" the pond, or atleast the stone around it. I really want to put some boulders around the pond too. I haven't run an electrical line out there other than the extention cord that I have running to the pump. I still need to get conduit and run a line from the house out there. I also plan on doing some low voltage lighting out there. Any ideas for lighting the pond? I think it would be cool to have lights in the water. I appreciate yall's kind words.
Craftsman 21" 7hp mower
Ariens LM22s 22" Walk behind mower
Stihl FS 90R Trimmer (2011)
Stihl FC 90R Edger (2011)
Stihl BR-600 (2012)
Husqvarna 125BT Backpack blower
Husqvarna 455 Rancher (professional chain)
Poulan "wild thing"
Proudly volunteering with Samaritan's Purse U.S Disaster Relief team since April, 2011

Insured by GLOCK
Old 02-06-2009, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Be careful with the extension cord, I don't know how long it is but the longer the cord the less amps getting to the pump which will cause damage to the pump if it's not running on the amps that's needed(void warranty and some major distributors can tell). Hey all first timers before you go and try to build a pond take a look at the pics that are on this site. It will save you alot of first steps that we had to take to get where we are. I wish I would've know about this site when I first got into ponds. And yes please stay away from flags on a water feature. Try and use less rock it makes a big difference.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Member

dlawns, i would love to give you some ideas on your first pond/water feature. i have not done that many myself, but i have grown up in colorado my whole life and i visit to mountains a lot so i know first hand what a water fall or stream or pond is suppose to look like. i have also researched the crap out of water feature construction and have been a member with lawnsite for awhile now. i have asked a lot of questions and have talked to a lot of good pond builders on here as well. my first pondless i research for four months looking in books, on line, and my boys on lawnsite. and after all the research my install flew. i felt like i had built ponds my whole life. i DO NOT like all the people on this site that has something to say about every water feature that is shown on here. i feel there is more bashing then critiquing. NOT everyone wants a natural looking feature nor want to hear all the s!*# talking. i like when people are kind with their words and give GOOD pointers and not what they would do. in my eyes thoose guys are my competitors and i feel they are sad cuz i got paid and not them. WE are the perfesionals and that is why WE take care of OUR customers. WHAT THE CUSTOMERS WANT....THEY GET! if they want flagstone then thats what they want. i WILL NOT turn down work. its too hard to come by these days. SO yeah i felt like i needed to get that off my chest. there has been some members on this pond site that have bugged me for over the last year or so and now i am seeking out. VENTERWEST..... your my boy. thanks for the GREAT advice on stuff and THANK you for your KIND words.

The Bug
Old 02-07-2009, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Member

oh after studying your feature i have some ideas so hit me up.

The Bug
Old 02-07-2009, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Name:  lighting.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  27.3 KB

what do you think'

The Bug
Old 02-07-2009, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hey thats a good effort for your first one. Thanks for being brave enough to post it on here and being willing to take critique. Personally I am not a big fan of flagstone or cobble type water features as I believe they don't really look too natural. I have yet to go hiking and see one like it in nature. Let nature be your guide and study how they look and perform in the wild. I realize the smaller stone is easier to handle but you can handle 350-500 pound boulders with an extra guy and a sturdy ball cart. On your next one, try working with some larger stone and think about it going together like a puzzle in a way. Go back through some of the pics on this site from many of the participants here and you will find some good examples of that. Good luck and keep creating!

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com