Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-05-2009, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Member

So tell me why this is a bad idea. 4.9 gpm $640 new

Just to preface, I am a realtor and take care of several properties. It would get more than homeowner use, but I am not looking to start a pressure washing company. Opinions?

Harbor Trash sells this for $799 and I have a 20% coupon.

13hp 4000psi 4.9gpm

Harbor Trash link-
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=97005
Old 02-06-2009, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

"Engine speed: 3600 ROM; 17 oz. oil capacity;"

Based on this alone, I would run the other way. I think ROM is Read Only Memory, and I'm not sure what place it has on a Chinese knock off Honda engines description. Also, at 13hp, it better have more than 17oz of oil in it.

But hey, your money, your lesson.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:15 AM
LawnSite Member

I think it is a chinese knock off as most stuff from that place is. I guess I should have asked if there are any better alternatives for the money. I dont want to go below 4gpm.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You asked so I'll tell...... It is mis-represented first of all. A 13 hp wil not produce 4.9 gpm @ 4000 psi!

At best the machine is 4 gpm at 3500psi or 3.5 gpm at 4000 psi. A 13 hp won't do what is advertised. It may even do the 4.9 gpm but only 2900 psi.

I really don't know why you don't just form a relationship with a PROFESSIONAL Power Washer and refer the work and maybe tack on a little percentage. There is so much more to cleaning than folks think. These big box stores aren't helping any either selling these things with advice that anyone can do it.

That's all I'll say. Anyhow, the machine isn't worth $10 to a Pro that knows better.

Want a good relaible machine? Call Bob at http://www.pressuretek.com
Awesome Pressure Washing and Great Cleaning Service
Follow us on Facebook.. facebook.com/powerwash
Old 02-06-2009, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks for your input. I have been watching the site for a while and have noticed that this is your standard response to most questions from non proffesionals/Mowers. I have also noticed that your opinion is highly regarded.

I have read many of your posts and watched the videos and I guess more than anything, it looks like something I would like to put some time into and learn to do properly. I dont want to be a "jack of all trades", but the low pressure cleaning has peaked my interest.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKNBigFish View Post
thanks for your input. I have been watching the site for a while and have noticed that this is your standard response to most questions from non proffesionals/Mowers. I have also noticed that your opinion is highly regarded.

I have read many of your posts and watched the videos and I guess more than anything, it looks like something I would like to put some time into and learn to do properly. I dont want to be a "jack of all trades", but the low pressure cleaning has peaked my interest.
Don't let Mike fool you. He has a lawn maintenance biz too. But he definitely has a point. Hire a pro to do it and tack on a little for your time. This allows you to work on your business to get more properties to manage. It's kind of the "circle of business". It puts everyone involved in a more prosperous position.
BUT.....if you are hell bent on doing it, do like Mike suggested and go to pressuretek.com. That's where I got all my equipment.

Lawn care in Pensacola, Florida.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Member

well, i guess i'm hell bent! What equipment did you start with? what is the minimum gpm you suggest?
Old 02-13-2009, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Basic stuff... and by the way, we all start somewhere... just get insurance first. A 4 gpm 3000 psi with hot water will do nearly anything. That being said, a 10 gpm 9,000 psi "professional" machine will do it faster. lol. Got $15k? lol. Watch e-bay and craigslist but be careful about what you buy. Make sure you have dealer support for what you buy in your area. Also LEARN YOUR CHEMICALS, or cleaninig "solutions" whatever. And you become the "professional", so you can tell somebody what they should and shouldn't do. lol. Use it on your house and property first (screw your own stuff up) then get to work!

Big Nate
Old 02-14-2009, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks, does hot water make a pretty big diff? its a pretty big jump from a good 4gpm colt to a hot.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If just doing residential cleaning, then Hot isn't quite needed. I only use cold on Vinyl and driveways/sidewalk.
Awesome Pressure Washing and Great Cleaning Service
Follow us on Facebook.. facebook.com/powerwash