Register free!

Old 02-09-2009, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a question for you tea makers out there....

I know good compost is a great source of biology for tea.

I wonder how many of you are using/adding a truly active soil/compost with plant of interest growing in it for brewing. I'm finding that when I start with a truly active biology source taken from the area around plant roots that my tea's are finishing very fast with LOT's of bacteria, protozoa's in under 24hrs.
my nematodes are still alive as well in these shorter brews. I have not run larger brews yet to see if I will get the same microbe#'s/short brew time results but the spring season will be here soon....

Any reason that a short brew time would not be as beneficial as a longer one?

Anybody?
Old 02-09-2009, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadhussey View Post
Not to speak for Tim, but I do know he got the scopes and was looking at May for having them ready for sale. I think we're going to carry them on our website in the US. We already have his 50 gal brewer for sale on our site.

~Tad

Cool! keeps us updated soon as they are available.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nice View Post

I wonder how many of you are using/adding a truly active soil/compost with plant of interest growing in it for brewing. I'm finding that when I start with a truly active biology source taken from the area around plant roots that my tea's are finishing very fast with LOT's of bacteria, protozoa's in under 24hrs.
my nematodes are still alive as well in these shorter brews. I have not run larger brews yet to see if I will get the same microbe#'s/short brew time results but the spring season will be here soon....

Anybody?
Using soil (with rhizosphere) to inoculate a "CT"... Uh oh, can you call it that still? is a much better/more effective practice than compost inoculated CT IMHO... well at least when trying to populate soil with soil organisms...

http://www.woodsend.org/interview.html?part=12
(I know, I need a better source)
Old 02-09-2009, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nice View Post

Anybody?
ok someone just ask me the same thing on the phone, the way I brew is fast and lots of great worm casts,compost, some sod that has a great myco base, and some water plants that i have found have a load of what looks like in my untrained eyes to be soil borne "herd" lots of nematodes and they look like the commercial ones i bought and farmed out sooooo....

the next and only other concern with most teas is the #s that you get, if you can get large #s with warm water and lots of compost then why try and grow them out why not just use the brewed extract and get it down in a short time and not tie up a brewer for 72 hours??? go for a 24 hour brew that has large #s and use more of it per----, then have another batch for the next day.......

oh and long brew only lends well to selection......
Old 02-09-2009, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Tree what did you do?
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2009, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Diversity is what they say correct? the diversity of decomposers/degraders and nutrient's in compost's I would think would be beneficial in the end as well?

A mixture of many local sources most likely be best? let the environment make the final decision who stays...
Old 02-09-2009, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Attention!!!!!!.........clean up in isle 9!
Old 02-09-2009, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

thats funny is it soap?? on the not so funny side I have had tea foam over and make a mess, less food at the start and more before it hits the lawn!!!! we even messed wit a lid and catch basin but a kiddie pool works so well, just have to put the blower and pump up so they dont drown...
Old 02-09-2009, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Makes sense to me...

Then of course you could just add food.. and let the ones already there populate...

OM... mmmmmm
Old 02-09-2009, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I thought that is how them make foam at the clubs