Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-15-2010, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxridernorth View Post
Hey Giles how do you like the dumper? Sometimes I can see a clear benefit of using one but most of the time it seems like a skid steer would be more useful?
we run 4 (weight is capacity not their weight like excavators)

1 ton narrow access high tip(skip loader), residential jobs back gardens etc its 43 inches wide

ps if anyone see's this anywhere let me know, was stolen of a job. we now have the thwaites one

3 ton, 6 ton wheeled and 5 ton tracked couldn't work without them, on jobs when you are moving stuff over a fair distance invaluable, or even just if its out the reach of the excavator, we run ours on the road as well nothing major but maybe a mile down the road.

like i say wed be stuck with out them,

6 ton

3 ton

can be towed behind our nissans or the 7.5 ton truck or on the truck bed, we have some aluminum ramps

yanmar 5 ton tracked bought for this job cheap £3000 and its so good in the mud its going to get the fitters attention some tlc some bull bars and join the fleet full time

we dont currently run a skid steer but been keeping an eye out for a nice used one locally, good to take with truck or dump trailer to clean up with etc load them or with forks for narrower jobs than out telehandler could fit down

Last edited by Giles_uk; 11-15-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
I wish we could get a manual Touareg over here...

Is there a U.S version of the Navara? My god, it's stupid that there are different names of cars for Europe, Oz and the Americas...
yeah its called the frontier

http://www.nissanusa.com/frontier/

they only do it in diesel here, but you can get petrol ones ive got the crew cab aventura which has everything leather climate sat nav mp3 cruise etc etc but its my only car for me and my 2yr old

dad has teh se spec king cab with cloth and work spec. but he does have an A8 4.2tdi quatro and a lexus sc420 git lol,
Old 11-15-2010, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Member

wow you get a lot better deal than us i paid £24000 for mine new, thats $38000 according to google
Old 11-15-2010, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Giles. I can see the you certainly make use of them. Do your ex operators run both i.e. load the dumper and then run and dump, come back and load, etc or is it always a two man operation?
Old 11-15-2010, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Member

depends on how busy we are, but most cases yes as its saves having 2 guys or the labourer runs the dumper as its an unskilled job really.

its much nicer working with someone the banter etc, but we have 8 excavators and 3 drivers so try and keep them with what machine they are on the job with. its a pain swapping all the time but we match so 3 ton excavator with 3 ton dumper, 7 ton machine with 6 ton dumper then with the 13 tonners we use the deeres with 14 ton dump trailers if conditons allow then we have one of the full time guys in the deeres all day not swapping. matching them means you get a bit of seat time before have to get out etc.

there are ways to cheat though if trenching for land drain {tiles} we'll pull the dumper along with the machine save getingout all the time as with narrow trench not that much spoil but alot of movement.

over here you are no allowed to have the driver stay on the dumper as you load them unless it has a full cab.

if you are feeling particualy lazy you can drag the dumper with you as you track the machine across a field etc

Old 11-15-2010, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Giles. My spider rep owns one and I was contemplating picking it up from him

I have to say, and I'm sure people will heckle me for it, that I have a love for things euro (ladies high on that list). The trucks and cars are, from what I have observed, built to a higher standard. Diesels in everything and I'm not talking 6.7L ones so jammed into engine bays that cabs must be removed for servicing. Also,who can say that they wouldn't want a fully synchronized gearbox in their dump truck?
Old 11-15-2010, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Member

i lived in munich (home of bmw) and have been all over europe used to roadie full time for a few bands still do a bit here and there, the girls are great i met the mum of my kid at a gig in london. the cars are a lot more refined id say, my dads audi a8 4.2 4x4 350bhp elctronically limited to 155mph. i ve done 175mph on an autobahn in my old IT bosses porsche GT3, bottled it at that haha, he took it to 202mph.

audi has won the le mans 24 hours last few years with diesels, my mums v10 toureag is a best of a 4x4 quicker than most petrol cars.

porsche, ferrari, lambo etc then weve got merc and volvo for cars and trucks scania

most big dump trucks here and articulated wagons are going automatic or semi automatic. no more power shifts etc. you still have to double clutch????

i know you yanks love your fords, but over here its a dirty word

ill give you john deere tractors, nothing runs like a deere we dont get the JD construction lines over here. although the jcb fastrac is awesome and jcb hold the diesel land speed record with two backhoe engines bolted together 340mph

but we are cramped and get taxed to hell but there are houses on my rive to work older than any in usa haha

Last edited by Giles_uk; 11-15-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandContract View Post
^I sure hope that's not the future in the US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
I dont know how I'd get by driving that Nissan every day..

Granted I'd save a TON in fuel. But still.. It wouldnt seem right.
Honestly I wouldn't have a problem with a smaller truck, they would have to get decent mileage. It is a crime that we don't have diesels in the small trucks or half ton size.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Member

i dont get the houses made out of wood either, weve just built this one for a football (soccer) player

im getting 32 miles to the gallon on my truck average according to the computer, what do you boys get?

also by half ton what do you mean, my nissan is rated at 1012kg in the back to make it a commercial vehicle over here more efficient for tax

Old 11-15-2010, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Location: Louisville KY mainly... I bounce from place to place.
I get 19 out of a 7.3...

I'm so glad I have my old explorer...