Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-07-2009, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

recession worries?

Anybody worried this recession will have a big impact on the lawn biz?

I started my first business during the small recession in the late 80's early 90's.
I didn't even think about it. I just advertised like nothing was going on and things were fine.

This time I was thinking of using some type of recession topic in my ads though.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I plan on addressing some financial questions in my advertising, like why they should keep spending money. But I will not mention the words "recession" or "economic downturn" becaue I think that will just make people remember where everyone is at and throw my ad away!

I am worried about things though. That's just because my generation (I just turned 24) hasn't really been through something like this. At least not when we were aware. I work in aircraft here in wichita (aircraft capital of the world) and I'm going to be laid off the end of this month. I've already got my hours cut back to 23 a week so It's kind of forced my hand into trying to find more mowing work. I know I won't find any aircraft jobs because I'm just one of around 6000 workers around here that are getting laid off right now.

I know things will improve, they always have and hopefully always will. All we have to do is hang tuff and know that when things start going upword we're in place to ride the big wave of more work coming in! If you back out of things now because you're financially worried then you won't have your ducks in a row for the rebound. Thats just my thoughts.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

just about ALL advertisements these days are pushing the horrible economy, and then they try to sell the consumer something.
My original plan was to talk about the economy, but I couldn't get myself to do it....
ya know...

"Is your 401k shrinking and yet your grass is still growing????" Call us!

of course, I would never do such a thing, even though it might bring about a 'chuckle' or two.... on the flip side....I could get death threats.... )

So I just chose to plug away with the usual advertising that's worked for the past couple years... simple, dependable service, simple, economical prices...

CAROLINA CUTS
Landscape & Lawn Service
Not your ordinary pain in the gr@ss lawn service...
Old 02-08-2009, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Cuts View Post
just about ALL advertisements these days are pushing the horrible economy, and then they try to sell the consumer something.
My original plan was to talk about the economy, but I couldn't get myself to do it....
ya know...

"Is your 401k shrinking and yet your grass is still growing????" Call us!

of course, I would never do such a thing, even though it might bring about a 'chuckle' or two.... on the flip side....I could get death threats.... )

So I just chose to plug away with the usual advertising that's worked for the past couple years... simple, dependable service, simple, economical prices...
This year I am offering prepay, if they want to. I will offer a discount for prepay, one amount for monthly prepay and a better one for yearly. Not sure what the discount will be yet. Depends on if I decide to raise prices this year or not.
I had thought of having them call if interested and then deciding the discount. Unfortunately that could lead to some unprofitable negotiations.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have been thinking about running a new advertisement in the newspaper something like:

Check out our lawn & landscape "stimulus plans" your golden parachute has arrived
Old 02-08-2009, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess we are bless here in southern Louisiana, the recession has not been that bad for us...still seeing help wanted signs around the area...

Chad Clark
225-257-5566
chad@clarkunlimited.com
www.clarkunlimited.com
www.facebook.com/culawns
La. Licensed Landscape Horticulturist
La. Licensed Ornamental & Turf Pesticide Applicator
La. Licensed Irrigation Contractor
Old 02-08-2009, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Same here in Texas Big C, we are still going good here (knock on wood).
Lesco application equipment

Having employees that enjoy what they are doing and care about quality is what makes happy customers.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
I guess we are bless here in southern Louisiana, the recession has not been that bad for us...still seeing help wanted signs around the area...
Thats good to hear finally some good Karma, from Hurricane Katrina
Old 03-12-2009, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Member

as long as it rains we will work . most jobs that will be lost are in sales and bulls@#$ing jobs in corpurations were thier overstafed because of vacation days and holidays. the grass will still grow. but you might not want to get to far into the hole with your clients

Last edited by ruffs; 03-12-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Funny story on the economy. Last year I had a customer that lived down the street from me, and I hated mowing her lawn. She never watered and had two huge trees in front so it never got enough sun either. DUSTBOWL. Anyway, this year I noticed she'd been watering alot and the grass was starting to fill in nicely. I was happy to see that I would actually enjoy mowing her lawn this year (it's two houses down from mine, so if hers looks good it makes mine look good). Turns out, the reason she'd had time to do so much watering and lawn maintenance was because she was laid off. In the same conversation she informed me that she wouldn't be able to afford my services this year. Bummer.

Other than that the economy has not affected everything too much here in West Texas. Everything hits here slower though. A few people have gotten laid off, but they aren't having that much trouble finding more work.