Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-17-2009, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skennedy04 View Post
Unfortunately i think we are going to see more of this....What a huge difference..Sorry it didnt work out for you.
No sweat, we're swamped with work so its not a big deal. I just can't imagine working trying to get by on ~$26/hr every other week?! Some peoples calculations, just make no practical sense.

We'll get the good stuff. Let them work for free!
www.qualitylawncare.biz
Serving Western New York since 1998.

"Everyone has bad breaks but everyone also has opportunities. I think luck is the sense to recognize an opportunity and the ability to take advantage of it..." -Samuel Goldwyn
Old 03-13-2009, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qualitylandscaping View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHA WHAT A JOKE!!

I just heard back on the bid opening.

Group 1:
My bid $20,400 season ($77.25 per acre)
Low bid $5,047.35 season ($18.96 per acre!!!!!)

Group 2:
My bid $88,000 season ($31.00 per acre)
Low bid $42,900 season ($15.12 per acre!!!!)

Now our rates may be alittle on the high side, but the low bids are down right disturbing.

So much for bidding city projects ever again.. Not worth the time.

This is astounding! What a shame but I guess as the economy falls so does the pricing. For those prices with litter clean up I wouldn't even get out of bed. You have to wonder about some companies but we will never actually find out their motivation behind their decisions.

Good luck to you on the rest of your year.
James
Old 03-17-2009, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Wow, that's pretty crazy. Was it a big company that won the bid?
2001 Ford F-350 4x4 SD XLT 7.3PSD
6X16' Tandem axle trailer
5X8 BIG MAX trailer
Exmark Vantage 24/52
Bobcat Predator Pro 61" 26LC
Simplicity Legacy 60" Vanguard Diesel
Redmax EB7001, 7150, 7500
Stihl BG55, SH85
Echo SRM-210, SRM-225 (3), Dolmar 22C
(2) Echo PAS-265
Old 03-17-2009, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Im curious as to what your estimation was for man hours for each section. I really would like to see what you thought your cost was. $15 per acre sounds good to me if you can truly mow 8 acres in an hour. I know were in completely demographics but down here all a 60 inch mower will bring is 45 dollars an hour, and each additional man will bring 25 to 35 dollars an hour. Exactly how long is a season in new york? Please dont take this as criticism, I'm just merely asking questions as I would like to see a breakdown.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superscapes View Post
Im curious as to what your estimation was for man hours for each section. I really would like to see what you thought your cost was. $15 per acre sounds good to me if you can truly mow 8 acres in an hour. I know were in completely demographics but down here all a 60 inch mower will bring is 45 dollars an hour, and each additional man will bring 25 to 35 dollars an hour. Exactly how long is a season in new york? Please dont take this as criticism, I'm just merely asking questions as I would like to see a breakdown.
I am in a different part of NY so it may be different here, guys run from about now with spring cleanups to mid november sometimes first of december with cleanups generally 30-32 cuts.

BUT, it does not matter when your at the beach we go to sunset beach great spot you have, you hiring??
Old 03-17-2009, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qualitylandscaping View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHA WHAT A JOKE!!

I just heard back on the bid opening.

Group 1:
My bid $20,400 season ($77.25 per acre)
Low bid $5,047.35 season ($18.96 per acre!!!!!)

Group 2:
My bid $88,000 season ($31.00 per acre)
Low bid $42,900 season ($15.12 per acre!!!!)

Now our rates may be alittle on the high side, but the low bids are down right disturbing.

So much for bidding city projects ever again.. Not worth the time.
Ya that sucks. But are you surpised? I stopped wasting my time with municipal work a long time ago. Maybe some people can sift through the crap and find a good account. But I have found I am NEVER competitive with the winning bidder. I'm usually in line with the bulk of all the bids but there is always someone way low! This economy is down but I have found even in a good economy municiple bids are usually won by a dirt cheap bid.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Thats city work for you.....I bid a bunch of city work this year, trying to add a fourth crew...All the work went for about $15-$20 per man hour....Thats enough to make you wanna PUKE!!!..If someone out there can explain how you run a company on $20 per man hour, Please explain it to me..cause ive been in business 16 years and i must be clueless...I will run 3 crews and protect the work i have...
Old 03-17-2009, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So... someone out there is going to get bonded and run 5 million dollar liability, and obviously WC and such (in NY, mind you) and work for $15/ acre?? Wow, hope they dont wake up till its over, cause it will surely be a rude awakening!
Old 03-18-2009, 06:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfromNY View Post
So... someone out there is going to get bonded and run 5 million dollar liability, and obviously WC and such (in NY, mind you) and work for $15/ acre?? Wow, hope they dont wake up till its over, cause it will surely be a rude awakening!
Hey Matt, what do you think they will do when the request payroll records to show that they were paying prevailing wages?????

Most city/town/etc jobs are prevailing wage around here and they will check documentation as well. We bid a job over the winter that they ran background checks before they announced the award
Old 03-18-2009, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf hokie View Post
I am in a different part of NY so it may be different here, guys run from about now with spring cleanups to mid november sometimes first of december with cleanups generally 30-32 cuts.

BUT, it does not matter when your at the beach we go to sunset beach great spot you have, you hiring??
After going back and looking at some of our bigger maintenance accounts thats about what were getting is $45 to $50 per acre. Sorry for the questioning Ive just always priced everything by the hour on a bid.