Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-18-2009, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworker View Post
The big boxes buy quality stock. But , better get it the day it comes in because no one will take care of it after that. Doesn't help that their set up is usually on asphalt and in hot sun most if not all day.
I don't know about the other stores, but it was SOP for us to thoroughly water the stock (especially on the asphalt) every morning and monitor the condition of the plants continually. It was not unusual to see senior management people with a water wand in hand in the middle of the day. The newer stores have shade netting over the stock and are on concrete instead of asphalt.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

BTW...Wad'ya think "quality growers" pay their workers? Do they provide health insurance and benefits? ESOP plans? The last CEO of Lowes to retire (Bob Tillman) started out as a stocker in the Goldsboro, N.C. store.[/QUOTE]

GM paid all this and look where it got them.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markam70 View Post
box stores may be cheaper but the quality there is questionable. i would rather pay twice the price from a quality grower who knows their material than buy from a box store who depends on a $7/hr employee to care for their product.
Hey, all I was trying to do was point out that the worker at the box store has a vested interest (stock, benefits) in taking care of the inventory. Its none of my business what a grower pays his people as long as its legal.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I guess im lucky then .
I have 3 or 4 growers in my town That can get me any thing and way cheaper then The box store.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Member

McMinville Nursery pricing

I'm a grower with operations in 5 states, one of which is in McMinville TN.
McMinville has over 1200 growers in Warren County alone and sold about $850 Mil. worth of greengoods in 2007. So lots of places to buy. Cheaper prices in McMinville usually relate to quantity ordered. Truck load quantities is the cheapest. Pick loads are 10-20% more. The really cheap Leylands are not in McMinville. The Big box stores do not buy much in McMinville either. They buy in Florida where they grow Leylands by the millions. That said a Florida Leyland often is root bound, loaded with chemicals, and not climate adapted by the time it makes it way North to say the Walmart in Ohio. They die easy in the dry summers and cold winters of the North. To get the best climate adapted trees and not even pay for all the fuel to get to Florida or McMinville you should buy from local growers. Yes they may be a little more but they got tougher trees, and are just a few miles away. Your state Landscape Assoc. can point you to who they are. TreeLocater.com can too. As a grower I grow about 10,000+ 3-5 gal. liners a year and sell none of them. At $8-9.00 I'm only making a buck or so a piece so we hold them til they're 6-7ft and sell them for $45-50 instead. A lot more likely to survive and we make a $10-15 margin. Tree biz is way off this year and most likely for years to come. Will that make trees cheaper? Not likely. Short term some nurseries will dump their inventory, but a shortage of growers planting new trees will drive the prices even higher. Remember if millions aren't planted every single year then millions less available, makes for a lot less availability and a sellers market. Also remember with all the government cash flooding the economy, dollars are being devalued and will buy a lot less within a year or two. I'm planting all I can and don't plan to sell much for 3-4 years. Good luck on cheap trees. You get what you pay for.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan528 View Post
A 3 Gallon Barberry costs $18 at my local "wholesale" nursery. I abolutely need to charge $45-50 when you factor in the time to pick it up, plant it and then garentee it for 1 year.
My nearest 'wholesale only' nursery is $21.50. Where the hell am I goin?
Old 05-23-2009, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laketreefarm View Post
I'm a grower with operations in 5 states, one of which is in McMinville TN.
McMinville has over 1200 growers in Warren County alone and sold about $850 Mil. worth of greengoods in 2007. So lots of places to buy. Cheaper prices in McMinville usually relate to quantity ordered. Truck load quantities is the cheapest. Pick loads are 10-20% more. The really cheap Leylands are not in McMinville. The Big box stores do not buy much in McMinville either. They buy in Florida where they grow Leylands by the millions. That said a Florida Leyland often is root bound, loaded with chemicals, and not climate adapted by the time it makes it way North to say the Walmart in Ohio. They die easy in the dry summers and cold winters of the North. To get the best climate adapted trees and not even pay for all the fuel to get to Florida or McMinville you should buy from local growers. Yes they may be a little more but they got tougher trees, and are just a few miles away. Your state Landscape Assoc. can point you to who they are. TreeLocater.com can too. As a grower I grow about 10,000+ 3-5 gal. liners a year and sell none of them. At $8-9.00 I'm only making a buck or so a piece so we hold them til they're 6-7ft and sell them for $45-50 instead. A lot more likely to survive and we make a $10-15 margin. Tree biz is way off this year and most likely for years to come. Will that make trees cheaper? Not likely. Short term some nurseries will dump their inventory, but a shortage of growers planting new trees will drive the prices even higher. Remember if millions aren't planted every single year then millions less available, makes for a lot less availability and a sellers market. Also remember with all the government cash flooding the economy, dollars are being devalued and will buy a lot less within a year or two. I'm planting all I can and don't plan to sell much for 3-4 years. Good luck on cheap trees. You get what you pay for.
A more correct counting of plants would likely be in the billion range. Within a 25 mile radius of here there are thousands of nurseries. From small 5 acre ones to hundreds of acres. Plants leave this area by the semi truck loads headed north.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Im sorry if I offend any of you southern guys but, Your very much so mistaken on quality for the southers states (florida,georgia) in particular most of these nursurys are hurting real bad and they simply arent taking as well of their plants ad they used to because of lack of funds, fyi florida gets almost all its plants& palms from miami

Now my advice to you is to get something from homedepot or lowes they have the funds to maintain them
Old 07-30-2009, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I was at a homedepot 3 weeks ago their stock was fantastic what was not in the greatest condition was almost free.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you are getting anything from a nursery, it will never be wholesale price. Nurseries are middle men just like any other operation and they want to make some money too.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.