Register free!

Old 06-15-2009, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Transformers

Hello everyone, I am a newby to Lawnsite as I just found it on the net. I am a "lighting only guy." I am a licensed electrician and have been doing landscape lighting, security lighting, moonlighting and interior lighting for 16 years. I wonder if someone may be able to help me in finding a new supplier for low-voltage transformers. I have used many in the past, MDL, Nightscaping, Unique, Pantech, Hadco ...etc.

I like the affordability and ease of use of the MDL and Pantech and have had no problems with either. Also like the Unique, but they are a little pricey. Nightscaping xformers are o.k. but that's the only one I've ever had a problem with. I realize any transformer can have an issue, but I am merely looking for an easy to use, multi-tap with a good price.

Can anybody recommend suppliers? All responses are appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2009, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You get what you pay for and you you know with Unque you are going to get a quality in house built unit that is easy to use, multiple styles of units including inverted, horizontal, in ground, Home Line and Multi Tap, Stainless Steel, Weathered Brass, secondary protection or none, etc....Most importantly every Unique unit comes with a life time warranty! They are all true single core units so no load ballancing on the common side, UL/ETL approved!

Of course I am a bit partial...hahaha

Welcome to Lawnsite!!! Lots of good stuff floating around here!! Let me know if you have any questions regarding Unqiue products!!
Old 06-15-2009, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Vista's new line of transformers has been greatly improved over previous versions. You might want to take a look at them. Around the same price point as Nightscaping's and a bit less than CAST.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 06-15-2009, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks JoeyD, I appreciate your response. Does Unique offer a "recession rate?" LOL
Old 06-15-2009, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks James, do you recommend a supplier for the Vista trans.?
Old 06-15-2009, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

LIGHTSONLYMAN-

I've reviewed a couple of trans in the past couple of months, check out the Volt and copper moon threads, along with a few ryco units a couple years back. I think the reviews speak for themselves.

I've installed more FX and Nightscaping than anything, and I too have had issues with Nightscaping, more voltage drop and timer issues, than anything else. FX makes an excellent trans, although it can be pricey when compared to Volt, Copper moon and Ryco.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks David, can you recommend suppliers for those units?
Old 06-15-2009, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsonlyman View Post
Thanks James, do you recommend a supplier for the Vista trans.?
Go to Vista's website and they will have links to their distributors. I know that John Deere Landscapes is a large distributor of Vista products.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 06-15-2009, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsonlyman View Post
Thanks JoeyD, I appreciate your response. Does Unique offer a "recession rate?" LOL
hahaha No problem....I cant offer you a recession rate but I can off you great quality products and the best onsite, online, and phone service in all of the industry!!!!!
Old 06-15-2009, 10:43 PM
Sponsor

Lightsonlyman,

www.LandscapeLightingWorld.com is where you can get the Volt transformers David G was talking about (DG, thank you).

We do have the lowest "recession buster" prices on professional transformers that I am aware of anywhere.

Volt transformers have:
-Toroidal cores (run cooler, quieter, are more efficient and last longer than laminated magnetic core transformers), stainless steel cabinets, 12-22 volt multitaps, separate circuits for each 300w with dedicated toggle switch breakers, built-in photocell and timer receptacles, each tap can hold up 6 runs. Very reliable (never had one returned or failed since we began selling them), consistent voltage, great professional transformer...and in my opinion the best value you can find.
10 year warranty
UL Listed

300, 600w, 900w, 1200w, photocells, timers, immediate shipping, lowest prices anywhere.

Give me a call and I would be happy to take care of whatever you need. (dedicated lighting pro's should always call me as we can always take care of things that are not listed or priced as needed on the website).

Sincerely,

Alan B
(813) 978-3700
alanb@voltlighting.com
www.voltlighting.com

Factory Direct Outdoor Lighting