Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-13-2009, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm liking my Kubota ZD331 w/72" deck.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a John Deer M655 (1600 hour) with 54 inch deck, a Ferris IS1000Z (400 hours) with 52 inch deck and bagger, and two Toro 400 series with baggers (both around 700 hours).

John Deere has 25 horse Kohler Command engine - only ever had to put a new key start and pto cluth on this tractor. The thing is ten years old and is my most reliable ZTR. The cut is great, the deck is rock solid, the design and access to the deck, belts, battery, etc...all great. I wish John Deere would go back to the basics and to this design.

Ferris IS1000Z is a PIECE OF **** and all gimmick with the shock system! The bagging system has too many bends and always clogs even with the driest of dry grass. I removed it after half a season of cutting. The cut of this deck also sucks...leaves grass clumps. The engine is a 23 horse Kawaski and the engine is garbage. Thank goodness for the full 2 year warranty. This tractor was in the shop over 10 times in the first two years. I never use it anymore.

Toro 400 series with baggers are ok. These tractors both have 23 horse Kawaski engines...and...once again the engines are garbage. It seems like every 200 hours there is going to be a major problem. I actually had the one engine rebuilt at 400 hours. Many of the repairs were covered under warranty, but they are both over 3 years old and it's getting harder to have Toro pick up the repairs. The bagging system in the one went to hell at 500 hours...cheaper to buy a new system than to rebuild. Toro covered 75% of materials cost for that repair. The Toro dealer is only 10 minutes from my house so that is the only reason I don't ***** too much about these machines...great service, timely repair, warranty, and location. My overall complaint about the Toros...engines on the tractors. Kawaski engines suck in my opinion. When it's time to trade in my tractors, I will request a motor swap and go with Kohler. Also, the lugs that hold the braking/wheel mounting system for the back tires continues to come loose on both machine. The one wheel will start to lean in. The one time the whole wheel came loose (two lower lugs came off) and hit my hydrolic system and broke the line. About once a month this happens and I have to retighten the inner lugs/bolts. Maybe I just bought two lemons!
Old 03-02-2009, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
See a local hustler dealer for what reason? So he can buy an over priced mower that doesnt leave a nice cut like the 7 Iron does? Hustler is a joke in my mind. There have been way to many posts on here with cut quality issues and hydro issues etc etc from hustler owners. I agree the NEW deere mowers are junk but the 7 Iron deck is second to none and MILES better than hustlers decks.
Can't knock em' till U try em'. I love mine never had a problem after 500 hrs.
2008 New Holland Skid Steer with Tracks and Trailer
2-18' Landscape Trailers
Hustler 60" Super Z
Hustler 52" Mini Z with accelerator
Exmark Metro 32" Walk Behind
Lawn Boy and Toro 21" Mowers
4 Stihl weed trimmers
3 Stihl backpack blowers
2 Stihl hedge trimmers
Muiltiple Misc. Power Equipment

Old 07-28-2010, 01:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronayersmotorsports View Post
i will back up good mowers even if i don't sell them. But i can't stand a deere. Overrated overpriced, and under engineered. See a local hustler dealer.
im a bobcat guy myself, but as for all the deere quotes, i 100% agree, not to mention cut quality is horrrible
Old 07-28-2010, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I think JD 7IRON Cut is hard to beatEspecially in wet grass.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivervalleylawns View Post
Ok moving from phoenix to oklahoma, i notice a big difference in ztrs out here. In phoenix I had the exmark 52 and now that just looks like crap out here. Anyways im looking at the John Deere Z520A 60 in deck for most of my commercials and larger residentials. What would you guys recommend for a ztr for my smaller properties. This Z520A is huge. Thanks for all the help.
How does the Exmark look like crap? What grasses were you cutting before and what are you cutting now?
Old 07-28-2010, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrew View Post
How does the Exmark look like crap? What grasses were you cutting before and what are you cutting now?
prob a noob with a triton
Old 07-28-2010, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Erler View Post
ok this is for mr. pirates landscaping. first off just out of curiosity where in ok are you moving to? second off im not gona get into all the technical crap everyone else is i just want to say i demoed alot of mowers ranging from hustler to scag dixie chopper toro ferris dixon and a few others that i cant think of right now but in the end i went with gravely. it was the best mower for my money and it cut the best. the deck is built very strong and its very fast and comfortable. i havent found anything that i dont like about it. hope this helps...
i would have listened to this guy who lives there and says straight up that the gravely mows fast! and good. @ 13mph and having riders from 34 to 72 with cool turbo diesel options id be looking at them too if i was in OK, i must say that john deere has a similar type of deck like a gravely i bet they might be alright down that way too. i think another guy in the OK said toro which in fact has a very similar deck to the gravely and the deere. and the toro is adjustable and it will cut in the deep wet stuff good too! and i like the g3 chassis cause well i have a exmark and i like that chassis.

OKC durantula! so fun to watch their games!
Old 07-28-2010, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

try checking out the exmark phazer 34inch deck for small stuff.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
Here is what I can tell you.

4. I seen alot of them in florida and they cut that crap people down south call grass just fine. Lets face it pretty much anything with a blade that spins fast will cut that stiff bladed crap.

Anything with a blade will not cut Bermuda seed heads in one pass, lets not get carried away, and before you think you are going to tell me something, I grew up in the midwest (MO) so yes I am familar with blue grass, fescues etc.

Now with that said - the most important thing in a mower = dealer

and with that said - I have a 36 inch mini z that I started with down here and still use currently cutting 74 clients a week with. So I would say that Hustler makes a fine machine, but I have seen lots of Gravely, Exmark, Toro and Scag do just fine down here too. Scag has my eye because they are used alot in commerical down here and I see people just beating the Sh8t out of them.....there price scares me a bit though

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!

Tags
best ztr , mower , ztr