Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-10-2007, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Work pics from today

Here is a job that we did today. The owner is a grass cuttng client that i have for 5 yrs now and she wanted something quick, cheep and that looked good. She gave me a budget of $400. She already had the bricks left over from years ago, So I put them to good use. I put this project together in 2 days and she is so pleased with the way it turned out that she handed me an extra $50 to take my (2) Guys out to lunch today. I think this turned out really good for me not putting a whole lot of thought into it.

When this dry spell and 100 degree temps ends (hopefully soon) she wants us to come back and do some plantings in the new flowerbed.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2007, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks nice, good improvment, I hate trimming under decks. I woulda just made a nice edge instead of using the bricks.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

fantastic job!
Old 08-10-2007, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm confused as hell.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Neater yes - but confused also - I would of trenched in those brick so there in the ground - the pic makes it appear that there above ground??
Old 08-10-2007, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think it looks nice for the effort and the $ 400 price tag !!
2010 LESCO 48" Stand-On
2008 LESCO 36" Hydro WB
2008 Quick 36" Samurai Dually WB
Old 08-10-2007, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The bricks were something she wanted added because she had a big pile of them sitting around. It was my idea to make a nice edge but she shot that down LOL. The bricks are in the ground but only 2 inches, She wanted them to stand out and be above the ground. (1) Remember I had a budget which I had to stay within which would of been used up. (2) There was about 30 bricks sitting around , which the customer wanted used up (3) You cant really tell by the first picture, but there is paver's down in the background which had to stay along with a concrete slab that the pool equipment was sitting on. There is a 3 inch height difference between the paver's and the ground. I had to make the stone meet up with. (4) I put my 10 cents in and let the client decide on what they wanted and this is how she wanted it to be. She liked it enough to pay me an extra $50.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Why the contrast between brown mulch an white stones? You need more shrubs in the front there! The bricks look ok though.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The homeowner was tired of seeing the dead yard under the deck and the pool equipment. She wanted this area cleaned up to match other areas of the yard and around the pool (The brick throughout the yard was done by her husband over the years, He passed 5 yrs ago when I took over the lawn care). She wanted to stay with the same theme as her husband started but with a newer look. I like the darker mulch (almost black) which I use on 90% of my yards but this is the same mulch as the whole yard has. If I would of changed the type and color mulch for this project then It wouldnt of matched up with the rest of her yard, Plus the price increase.

This job had a $400 budget (Due to other work we had done or are about to take on- Almost $2,000 worth this month and that doesnt include the weekly lawn mowing -$160 each month) We came in and walked out just shy of 2 hrs later with a finished project. It costed $165.00 for supplies, plus $35 for labor. I walked away with $200 dollars, a completed project, a picture for our project book and mostly a happy customer. Not bad for aproject that was a last second add on with at tight budget and one days advanced notice. This is part 1 of a 5 part job to be done this year in that area of her pool,patio and deck that are all conected. I will try to get a pic this week of the over all area in which this work is and will continued to be done.

At this point due to the drought conditions we are having (5 weeks with no rain, Havent even seen 1 rain drop) and being close to the end of summer we decided to wait until early spring to do any plantings. She has a few ideas but not 100% sure on what to plant, So I gave her the winter to think it over and when we come in in early spring to do clean-ups and re-mulch (hopefully with darker mulch) we will plant whatever she has picked out. I will post updated picks when we finish up.

I have worked with this customer for 5 yrs now. She is a regular weekly grass customer and I average 5 -6 other jobs/projects throughout the year which brings in good money (last year including grass $7,600). This is one customer that I make sure I take care of because she has taken care of me.

Thanks for the compliments

Last edited by HBLandscaping; 08-11-2007 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

looks like you threw down some mulch and rock and edged it with bricks... I wouldn't have paid you $400 for that job.