Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-12-2009, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Help with getting customers

Alright ive been in the buisness for about 4 years and love every minute of it. Im curently in highschool graduating this year and so i really want to get alot more customers this year my goal is atleast 30 customers hopefully more. The most customers ive gotten was around 10-12 and they are all but a few from a guy who works with my dad and last year was the first year i tried advertising i hung a couple of flyers at the local grocery stores and bought truck magnets for both sides of my truck witch only ended up only getting me one customer who only needed me when he called. So this year i would really like to increase customers but i need help with it. So is what im asking is for any tips to advertising and whats helped you the most. Thanks
Old 02-12-2009, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would just suggest making some fliers and putting them out at peoples houses. To get thirty customers you'll need to put out quite a few fliers. I also suggest doing a refer a friend program with your existing customers. If they refer you to a friend, neighbor, or relative and you get the account, you give them a small discount. Just some thoughts.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 02-12-2009, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLAWNS View Post
I would just suggest making some fliers and putting them out at peoples houses. To get thirty customers you'll need to put out quite a few fliers. I also suggest doing a refer a friend program with your existing customers. If they refer you to a friend, neighbor, or relative and you get the account, you give them a small discount. Just some thoughts.
Alright thanks for responding, I deffenetly have to get out some more fliers but im going to try to do the refer thing to.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Get a website up, nothing flashy just services and contact info. Post a link to your site anywhere you can on the internet. Look at putting an ad in your local paper or weekly advertiser. Get business cards made and give them to everyone you talk to. You should be telling everyone you talk to what you do.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntmanlogan View Post
Alright ive been in the buisness for about 4 years and love every minute of it. Im curently in highschool graduating this year and so i really want to get alot more customers this year my goal is atleast 30 customers hopefully more. The most customers ive gotten was around 10-12 and they are all but a few from a guy who works with my dad and last year was the first year i tried advertising i hung a couple of flyers at the local grocery stores and bought truck magnets for both sides of my truck witch only ended up only getting me one customer who only needed me when he called. So this year i would really like to increase customers but i need help with it. So is what im asking is for any tips to advertising and whats helped you the most. Thanks
WOW same position as me. I'm a HS senior this year. Anyway I got a few customers last year by advertising in a good classified paper in the Lawnmower section.

Also if you have some friends tell them you will give them CASH if they get you a steady customer.
T270 Shindaiwa Trimmer
RedMax Trimmer
M242 Shindaiwa Multi Use with pole saw & hedge trimmer
Echo PB620 BP Blower
EB 630 Shindaiwa BP Blower
14' Tandem Axle Trailer with racks
Old 02-13-2009, 11:02 AM
Sponsor

Hook up with another service guy like pest control or window cleaning company and cross promote each other services. Best of luck.

Buy Sell & Trade Lawn & landscaping route accounts. The online market place for route accounts.
http://Tradeyouraccounts.com
http://facebook.com/ServiceRoutes
http://twitter.com/ServiceRoutes
Old 02-20-2009, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Go to RNDSIGNS.COM. Hundreds of advertising ideas for the green industry from all over the U.S. Request a FREE marketing handbook.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I got most of my business through an ad in Sunday's paper. Try that and word-of-mouth......let people know what you do and that you are looking for new customers.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

find a neighborhood, put some flyers in the neighborhood and tell them that you'll be back tomorrow to mow their lawns for a set price(whatever is the going price for your area, you may knock off $5 to $10.) if they want to have their lawn mowed, tell them to tape the flyer to the front door by 8am along with a name, address and number. go back the next day and you'll be surprised at how many flyers will be on the front door. then do the job, and leave a bill. Then get them on a regular schedule.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mow2nd View Post
find a neighborhood, put some flyers in the neighborhood and tell them that you'll be back tomorrow to mow their lawns for a set price(whatever is the going price for your area, you may knock off $5 to $10.) if they want to have their lawn mowed, tell them to tape the flyer to the front door by 8am along with a name, address and number. go back the next day and you'll be surprised at how many flyers will be on the front door. then do the job, and leave a bill. Then get them on a regular schedule.
I read this section everyday, and this has to be the most unique idea I have ever heard. Good thinkin'