Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-15-2009, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I love my Toro's.

Last edited by garmel; 02-15-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Member

My father and myself prize our Lawn Boy 2-cycle mowers. Please bring back the 2-cycle mowers to Lawn Boy.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes glad to see them here..my Toros have done me good. Too bad the sales/service place closest to me does not get my business. Dont even go there to grab a spark plug. Excited about the Grandstands. Our home and garden show is the first week in March cant wait to check it out
Old 02-25-2009, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

well since you're asking us what you can do to improve anything, why did you guys take the scalp wheels off the grandstand deck? i know the front wheels and back wheels are close but i can think of a few situations where the edge of the deck will dig into the ground, where if you had scalp wheels there would be no problem? even your 36" mowers have scalp wheels on them, i just don't understand...it's really the only thing holding me back from buying a few
Old 02-25-2009, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't mow any grass but my wife thinks I have a crush on my Dingo. Great machine.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I''d like to see a Toro rep on this forum to talk about or answer any questions we have. I 've had Toro's since 1998, they keep on trucking. Can't killem.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:00 PM
Sponsor

Anti-scalp wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell36 View Post
well since you're asking us what you can do to improve anything, why did you guys take the scalp wheels off the grandstand deck? i know the front wheels and back wheels are close but i can think of a few situations where the edge of the deck will dig into the ground, where if you had scalp wheels there would be no problem? even your 36" mowers have scalp wheels on them, i just don't understand...it's really the only thing holding me back from buying a few
A very good question, jbell36, in fact you are not the only one to ask. If you saw the concept machine that Toro unveiled at GIE+EXPO 2007, you may know that the original design actually did contain anti-scalp rollers on the cutting deck. In order to obtain feedback on the design, we placed prototype machines (built with the anti-scalp rollers) in the hands of several landscape contractors. The contractors who used the prototypes overwhelmingly suggested that we remove the anti-scalp rollers in order to decrease the length of the machine and keep it as compact as possible.

We built another fleet of prototypes without anti-scalp rollers (along with a number of other recommended changes) in order to verify that the performance didn't suffer without them. Through testing at our product evaluation facilities and extended placement in the field with landscape professionals, we found that the anti-scalp rollers were not required on the GrandStand (due in part to what you said about the tires being closer to the deck). At the same time, the cleaner, more compact design was universally appreciated.

Based upon the outstanding guidance that we received from a number of very insightful landscape contractors, we are quite confident in the performance of the machine. I don't believe the absence of anti-scalp rollers should deter you from purchasing the GrandStand, but if you haven't done so already, I encourage you to arrange for a personal demo in order to verify the performance meets your own expectations. If you are not already doing business with a particular Toro dealer, you can visit www.toro.com/smooth and use the Toro Commercial Dealer locator to find a commercial dealer that will have a demo unit on hand. You also mentioned you may have an interest in buying a few machines, so make sure you ask your dealer about special fleet pricing that is currently available. Thank you for your inquiry and best wishes for a successful season.

The Toro Company
Old 02-27-2009, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Toro company can you give me some insight on a mower i'm looking at. its a 2001 62"cut liquid cooled 38hp kaw. with 322 hours, i've never ran a toro but heard many good things looking to purchase this but dont have a clue on a value can you help? thanks
Old 02-27-2009, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Member

got a little more info on the mower its not a 38hp motor a local dealer said 22 or 23 v-twin and its a 2000 model said it books around $2500.00 sound about right?
Old 02-28-2009, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toro Company View Post
A very good question, jbell36, in fact you are not the only one to ask. If you saw the concept machine that Toro unveiled at GIE+EXPO 2007, you may know that the original design actually did contain anti-scalp rollers on the cutting deck. In order to obtain feedback on the design, we placed prototype machines (built with the anti-scalp rollers) in the hands of several landscape contractors. The contractors who used the prototypes overwhelmingly suggested that we remove the anti-scalp rollers in order to decrease the length of the machine and keep it as compact as possible.

We built another fleet of prototypes without anti-scalp rollers (along with a number of other recommended changes) in order to verify that the performance didn't suffer without them. Through testing at our product evaluation facilities and extended placement in the field with landscape professionals, we found that the anti-scalp rollers were not required on the GrandStand (due in part to what you said about the tires being closer to the deck). At the same time, the cleaner, more compact design was universally appreciated.

Based upon the outstanding guidance that we received from a number of very insightful landscape contractors, we are quite confident in the performance of the machine. I don't believe the absence of anti-scalp rollers should deter you from purchasing the GrandStand, but if you haven't done so already, I encourage you to arrange for a personal demo in order to verify the performance meets your own expectations. If you are not already doing business with a particular Toro dealer, you can visit www.toro.com/smooth and use the Toro Commercial Dealer locator to find a commercial dealer that will have a demo unit on hand. You also mentioned you may have an interest in buying a few machines, so make sure you ask your dealer about special fleet pricing that is currently available. Thank you for your inquiry and best wishes for a successful season.

The Toro Company
thanks for getting back to me on that, and yes i'm definitely going to demo one this coming friday...i'm just a big fan of floating decks (with scalp wheels), to me it's a day and night difference kind of like belt drive compared to hydro, i feel more comfortable with a floating deck...i understand where you guys are coming from i was just really surprised when a company like toro didn't have the scalp wheels...toro is obviously a very respectable company therefore you pay for what you get, and for $7500 i would prefer to have everything i want...with that being said i know toro took them off for a good reason, i would just prefer a slightly longer machine that had a true floating deck...to be honest with you i see us having grandstands in the future