Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-11-2015, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Problems with 299d already...

I just bought a 14 299 Cat rental. I Was really expecting to avoid problems having such a newer machine, but the problem I'm having with it is worse than anything I've ever had go wrong with my 10 year old equipment. So it runs fine at a stand still, idles and revs just fine. But when you go it will be good for a minute then it begins to slow down on its own. If you let off and come to a stop, then start again it's good for a minute or so then it slows right back down after a few feet. It bogs down engine wise just slightly. I tried once to rev it up when it started to do this and that sent the engine into a spit and sputter that made me just shut it off. The machine had 601 hours when I picked it up and it now has 614. Kinda bummed, spending so much money and having these issues after 13 hours. Anyone have any idea what is up with this thing? Dealer is supposed to call me monday.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kinda seems like fuel related. Have you cked the filters?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2015, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Not familiar with your machine but it sounds like a fuel problem. I would change the fuel filter. There probably is junk in the fuel tank since it was a rental. Might need to pull the fuel line off the tank to make sure it is not blocked. There should be a screen on the fuel tank, which might be getting plugged from the suction of the fuel if you have foreign material in the tank. Good luck, maybe someone will answer who knows this machine.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Had the same thing happen to mine this winter while I was plowing. They brought out a loaner 279 and brought mine in and they did a bunch of service bulletin stuff stuff to it, they had a couple software flashes for the cold that helped out as well as a new part for the fuel/evap system or whatever it is.

First thing though is check to make sure the travel motor sensors behind each sprocket are not plugged up with crap. I was told that this could be a possible reason because when one sensor does not read correctly the computer tries to compensate and ****** the drive motor of the other side to match up then it snowballs from there and causes the motor to idle back.

They did have a software update that address the control system to. So make sure they get all the updates for the software and parts. Also, they have an updated coupler motor out as well, so make sure you ask about that.

I still love my machine, but with the amount of electronics and emissions crap they have on all new machines, the chances of something happening increase.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks guys. I will check the primary clear filter and see if there's any junk in there. If so I suppose I'll make my way to the secondary. But with that laundry list from pro touch I have a feeling the dealer is going to have to do this. What is a coupler motor? You mean the bucket coupler?
I am on a red clay house site and the tracks were packed full yesterday and I cleaned them out. There is still more directly behind the drive motors near the hoses, not sure how to get at that. Red clay is some unholy material!
Old 04-12-2015, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
Thanks guys. I will check the primary clear filter and see if there's any junk in there. If so I suppose I'll make my way to the secondary. But with that laundry list from pro touch I have a feeling the dealer is going to have to do this. What is a coupler motor? You mean the bucket coupler?
I am on a red clay house site and the tracks were packed full yesterday and I cleaned them out. There is still more directly behind the drive motors near the hoses, not sure how to get at that. Red clay is some unholy material!
I hunt deer with a couple salesmen that sell a few different brands (most of us used to sell Bobcats) and we had a 289D high flow up to the land we hunt to brush cut trails and shooting lanes. It was doing something very similar and the Cat salesman pulled out the secondary filter screen and cleaned it out. He said that it should be changed when the primary gets changed every 500 hours but it usually doesn't and causes problems. It looks like a little metal tube just below the fuel pickup pump located on the left wall of the engine bay as you're looking into the back. The pick-up says "CAT" on it. It just unscrews out of the fitting under the pump. Once it was cleaned (he picked up a new one and replaced it after the weekend) it operated just fine. Good luck.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
Fuel filters are cheap to replace. Always keep a spare set with you . if my machine was sputtering that would be the first thing i replaced. Few jobs back our horizontal grinder was tracking across a job and just the angle it was on allowed the fuel pickups to grab some debris from the bottom of the tank . Engine started missing hard at high rpms when it was under load , changed the fuel filters and it immediately cleared up.

Another thing too that mabee a lot of people don't do is always keep the fuel tanks full on the machines. I try to fuel everything at the end of the day right up so that anytime the machine is sitting it can't build up moisture in the tank. Moisture in the tank can cause missing and lost power as well.

AEL

Site works, Land clearing, Wood Grinding, Demolition

Check out our new YouTube account!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWI...YEpKMXUcrB1jBw
Old 04-12-2015, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The replace the whole electric motor and screw assembly for the coupler.

I hear you about the clay, I'll have to post a video of us backfilling around a house basement through some nasty mud. That stuff workd it's way into everything
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-13-2015, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a small round metal filter that is before the clear fuel bowel . 100 % guarantee that is your problem. We carry a spare set of filters on the trucks for each machine.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here are pic s of the in line filter and part numbers for both filters. Make sure you have a filter on your transfer tank also.
Attached Images