Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-31-2014, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Would you sacrifice...

all out performance for operator comfort? the tak tl12 we demoed is an absolute beast for dirt moving. but its loud, crude, rough riding, and did i mention loud?

No point to having a radio in there bc of the engine and track noise audible in the cab.

I was picking up buckets of sandy clay that had the azz end up in the air and dragging the bucket on the ground. I even stalled the machine out a few time driving into a pile. Picasso, this is your new machine.

The cat 289d on the other has a super quiet cab with a lot of adjustability in the seat and sticks. the visibility is also amazing, 270* around the machine. The arms do flex side to side and there is twisting when picking up in the corner of the bucket.

The cat is also about 5-6k cheaper, although a more fair comparo would be the 299d.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Are you in the machine 100% of the time? How long are you running it consecutively?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-31-2014, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd go with performance if you need it. Some comfort issues can be resolved with aftermarket seats and earplugs.

I know you mentioned visibility. Personally, most of the work I end up doing would put me more in favor of something I can see out of just because of all the fragile things and tight spaces I have to work around.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

It really depends.I own an older Tak and I will agree that they are a little loud inside and they do ride rougher than the Cats but the Cat ride has trade offs as well. Neighbor has a Cat and I would not take it over my Tak for what I do with mine. If my job was running the machine 30 to 40 hours a week I might reconsider.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just for the sake of owning a taki for three years and it never returning to the dealer and the cost is a no brainier for me.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would never sacrifice operator comfort, I'm too old and now 30% deaf in my right ear from years of loud equipment. I've done too many jobs where my former TL130 would rattle my balls and teeth loose from driving full speed across concrete floors with cut slabs and choke me out with concrete dust in the cab.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 08-31-2014, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm getting older, I need a new ctl because I can't sit in mine all dusty, deaf, teeth rattling. I find I don't even want to go to work when I know I have to run it all day. I ran a nice new deere for a 14 hour day and jumped out at the end feeling good. I know the same holds true for employees running the machines also. You can't just say " well are you the one running it all day?" Well no but if my employees arnt productive then I can't make money.
Next machine I get is going to be able comfort over brute force.
It might be a future purchase for me or it may be the next purchase. I'm looking at a 924k cat right now, some semi dump trailers, b-train trailers, EB-60 and a new 2500hd. Lots of stuff I want, have to figure out what I need.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-31-2014, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The Taks are not that uncomfortable. Only a Ctl with some type of suspension will ride better. As far as cab comfort the Tak wins due too size alone. The new cabs are much more air tight so they should be inline with the majority of machines plus you can run the machine with the door open. That alone is priceless if you do tasks that require people outside the machine. As far as hearing loss I agree that cab noise needs to be at a min but I also think that hearing protection while using equipment is largely ignored.
I really think either machine will work and both will have there =/- so really just depends on what you wan or need from a machine.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Operator comfort 100%. Sure the machine might have the power and performance but if the operator is getting the crap kicked out of him he isn't going to be always pushing it to the limits because he won't want to be sore at the end of the day.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-31-2014, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTouch Groundscapes View Post
all out performance for operator comfort? the tak tl12 we demoed is an absolute beast for dirt moving. but its loud, crude, rough riding, and did i mention loud?

No point to having a radio in there bc of the engine and track noise audible in the cab.

I was picking up buckets of sandy clay that had the azz end up in the air and dragging the bucket on the ground. I even stalled the machine out a few time driving into a pile. Picasso, this is your new machine.

The cat 289d on the other has a super quiet cab with a lot of adjustability in the seat and sticks. the visibility is also amazing, 270* around the machine. The arms do flex side to side and there is twisting when picking up in the corner of the bucket.

The cat is also about 5-6k cheaper, although a more fair comparo would be the 299d.
Are you running TL12 with a cab? I know they are a bit louder than some machines. But they are not bad to me. We run ours in sand, gravel and clay soils, approximately 30 hours each per week. I would not trade our TL240 or TL230 series 2 for any other CTL on the market. We run full cab, with radio, heat and AC. Most of our guys use a radio headset anyways.
Posted via Mobile Device