Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-18-2014, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Pass or dive in and get our feet wet??

My goal is to just do bushhogging,clearing, & dirt/machine work. We have done a few small clearing jobs. Our largest one I subbed out and got screwed on. I'm confident we can tackle something this size.

We were referred to this property owner by a realtor we do bushhogging for. Property is 230' x 1100'. So a lil over 5 acres. 90% is junk tallow and hackberry trees under 4-6". Owner said if we find any trees worth saving to go ahead. It's thick, but I don't think work a dozer. A Skidsteer with open front brushcutter could prolly knock most of it down. Wants to clear the whole property, and possible put in a driveway all way to rear of property. We can burn the debris.

I could rent a dozer if need be, but if we get the job ill go sign the paperwork for our new CTL.

Due to the thickness I was thinking along the lines of $2k-2500/acre. Price range.

The first pic is an aerial view. It's the middle property, thts not cleared.

Most of the vegetation is under 4".

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2014, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I enjoy reading your threads about different goals, in January it was to focus on getting back to your roots and cut residential lawns. Even had your trucks re branded. Then we got the sand bag thing going on. If your goal now, for what ever reason, is to just do bushhogging,clearing, & dirt/machine work, then this job looks like it fits the bill. Your question is probably is $2-$2500 per acre enough to make a profit? Only you know your costs and how much equipment you have to rent.
BUT, why do you keep changing your focus? I read your posts in the beginning of the year and you acknowledged you were all over the place and were not focused. Pick a focus and go man
Old 06-18-2014, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

will a open front brush cutter clear it ? Maybe ! But it will be slow going and hard on it. A drum style mulcher will do it faster and leave a better finished product. As for dirt work, around here guys with skids work cheap and a ton are fly by night guys or weekend worriors.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just got a price for a week rental on a Bobcat CTL w/ forestry package and mulcher head. Thanks Marek.
It's a T770 w/ forestry package and bobcat head. $3k for the week. Good opportunity to get some seat time and get a good clearing/mulching job under our belt.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2014, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If you are going to burn, you could rent a tree shear and make short work of those trees then mow the whole place and it will look good minus the brush piles.

Renting the mulcher will be good practice... but you might be disappointed mulching taller hackberries.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 06-18-2014, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A good Dozer operator could clear it in 2 days. To build a road to the back you likely need 20 to 35 loads of chert, and still need a Dozer. See if you can rent a D5, if you like it real nice ones come up for sale for around 25k all the time.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
Just got a price for a week rental on a Bobcat CTL w/ forestry package and mulcher head. Thanks Marek.
It's a T770 w/ forestry package and bobcat head. $3k for the week. Good opportunity to get some seat time and get a good clearing/mulching job under our belt.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's high. I can get a 289 and 315 mulcher for 1600/week

4800/month
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2014, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
That's high. I can get a 289 and 315 mulcher for 1600/week

4800/month
Posted via Mobile Device
I've only found one place tht rents a mulcher. I'm gunna try another Cat rental.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2014, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

3 seems high . How far away is the Cat dealer ? Like Wiffy said around here they are about 2k per week plus damaged teeth
Old 06-18-2014, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

what is there plan for the property after? mabee they want/need the stumps removed so a mulching head won't do it. Looks to me like a job for a excavator with a thumb , and a skid with a root grapple to help clean up. Knock the trees over and pull the stumps out with them at the same time.

A.E.L

Excavating, Grading, Demolition, Land Clearing, Custom Grinding Services, Storm water management, Erosion Control.

Check out our new YouTube account!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWI...YEpKMXUcrB1jBw