Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-15-2015, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Standard flow with a brush mower

i need to get a new skid steer in the next couple months and would like to know if hi flow is completely necessary. I wanted to get a hi flow machine but the chances of my buying a mulcher head are slim. If I just get a nice brush hog for mowing overgrown fields and invasive bushes, 2 inch saplings and that kind of stuff, is hi flow a big advantage?
Old 01-15-2015, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I think high flow will beat up a rotary. You will get more torque and blade tip speed but at what cost? Balance and striking hard objects will shorten the life of the mower. I have always run standard flow on my mowers except for the Davco but it's a different design.

I think you will be better on fuel and maintenance with a standard flow mower but it can't hurt to have a high flow machine in case you buy high flow attachments.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 01-15-2015, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Okay. What attachments need hi flow besides mulchers and stump grinders? What is the difference between the Davco and a normal cutter?

Last edited by 4 seasons lawn&land; 01-15-2015 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Asphalt planers are usually high flow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-15-2015, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some snow blowers and trenchers are set up with high flow, but personally, unless you are using a milling head or a mulcher, I don't see the need to pay the extra money for it. I like a machine in the 23 gpm standard flow...can even get a mulching head for this app.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The other attachments mentioned so far are not things I would use. I would be interested to know why the Davco uses hi flow because I would like to get a higher end mower for a svl90 or t770. If I could run a nice mower on standard flow then the money saved on that would nearly pay for a good mower.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm having similar thoughts. Very interested to see what kind of machine is suggested for this application.

The high flow bobcat track units I've looked at are quite pricey and have me worried about maintenance. A guy i know with an S185 and a brushcutter says his high flow no longer works.

4 Seasons, do you have a skidsteer or machine you use now for this type of work?
Old 01-15-2015, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

No. My skid steer just sold. It left for Georgia today. I'm looking at bobcat t770 and kubota svl 90. I can get the high flow bobcat with low hours for 50k or a similar high flow kubota for 40k. And About 10 grand less for standard flow! Although there are not many standard flow kubotas with cabs. They are open rops.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Member

What kind of skid did you get rid of?

The bobcats are pricy and the kubotas seem to be decent machines. Bobcat stopped running kubota engines and are running doosans now I believe.

I'm very interested in kubotas financing options, which usually seem pretty good. Not sure if it would be a bad idea to get std flow. Is there the option to upgrade the machine later? You could always enclose the machine yourself with lexan or something. A lexan door might be better than glass for cutting brush.

Let me know what you end up getting!
Old 01-15-2015, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Cab machines also include HVAC and side windows. Stuff that can't be added. I sold the smallest of the takeuchi track machines, tl120