Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-19-2010, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedly05 View Post
This looks like it would do. Doesnt even seem hard to install. Maybe I will have to buy one for the one ton and trade my PJ tilt for a gooseneck.
Yeah like that!

They have other setups that you can get installed right from the truck body dealer or manufacturer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Foot View Post
Buy what makes you happy. You're the one thats gonna make the payments .....
Old 01-19-2010, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am not knowledgeable about 5th wheels at all but I thought I remember a friend telling me you can run a 5th wheel in a dump. They have a removable plate to expose the hitch. He had the same thing in a F350 6.0 pickup (side story)that was all pimped and modified/ reprogrammed out pulling a camper trailer weighing in at like 20K lbs. up to my house. The hill up to my house is about 3/4 mile pretty steep, and his truck pissed all the tranny fluid out!! My truck 450 6.4 slightly lower load (all the time every day) and it is like it isn't there Not saying 6.4 is better than 6.0 or anything else....it was pretty funny though
Old 01-20-2010, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieWonka1850 View Post
Yeah like that!

They have other setups that you can get installed right from the truck body dealer or manufacturer.

My flatbed on my 450 has a cover just like that but i dont think it would work to well with a dumpbody but i could be wrong... why not just get a 450-550 dump with a heavy duty deckover trailer so your not givin up space in the bed
Old 01-20-2010, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARP View Post
Thanks Willie! I had heard about that setup before but never got a manufacturer's name. Did you see any?
Cannonball Engineering makes one. Well they make a bale bed that dumps, but it's close.

www.cannonballengineering.com
Old 01-20-2010, 05:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisfarmer View Post
I am not knowledgeable about 5th wheels at all but I thought I remember a friend telling me you can run a 5th wheel in a dump. They have a removable plate to expose the hitch. He had the same thing in a F350 6.0 pickup (side story)that was all pimped and modified/ reprogrammed out pulling a camper trailer weighing in at like 20K lbs. up to my house. The hill up to my house is about 3/4 mile pretty steep, and his truck pissed all the tranny fluid out!! My truck 450 6.4 slightly lower load (all the time every day) and it is like it isn't there Not saying 6.4 is better than 6.0 or anything else....it was pretty funny though
A fifth wheel wouldnt work,(I guess it could) you would have to have the rails that the fifth wheel pins to mounted to the dump box floor, so it would get beat up by material. A fifth wheel set up is just like a mini version of a tractor trailer, where the gooseneck has a a ball type hook up that it works with. The set ups that Willie and I posted pics of work be most likely to work in a dump box, but I bet there must be someone out there that builds a job specific hitch for dump trucks.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are we talking about a 5th wheel or a gooseneck. because the pics shown are for goosenecks. 5th wheels are for campers who think they're big sh!t.

Andrew, I was also thinking about your response idea. What about a few people going down as overseers, coordinating the work on the ground and making sure that the equipment is not abused. I'm sure that there are out of work operators in the region that would love the chance to get back to work and have a crack at some new iron. Maybe you could pay them some sort of wage as well, so that they could have money to inject back into the economy.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. -Unknown

Last edited by ioilyouin; 01-20-2010 at 10:09 AM. Reason: no reason
Old 01-20-2010, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The thing that scares me about putting one in a dump is the hole. I would hate to cut a hole that big in a $4k bed. Plus that is a pretty good sized hole for the bottom of a dump bed!
Old 01-20-2010, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krafty View Post
The thing that scares me about putting one in a dump is the hole. I would hate to cut a hole that big in a $4k bed. Plus that is a pretty good sized hole for the bottom of a dump bed!
Use the system I have, Binkley, reversible fifth wheel with pop up/down king pin rated for 30,000 pounds. I carry a few spray cans of brake cleaner just in case the king pin gets crud in it, and you get a threaded handle to pull up the pin.
The king pin plate can me mounted flush with the box, or slightly raised like mine.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 01-20-2010, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That is pretty slick Ron I like that idea!! How would you mount it to the frame in a dump tho, or is that just for a flat deck?
Old 01-20-2010, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krafty View Post
That is pretty slick Ron I like that idea!! How would you mount it to the frame in a dump tho, or is that just for a flat deck?
Mine is bolted with over sized U clamps right through the deck to the frame to the truck frame, a dump box can be bolted right to the cross members, but you will need a locker to keep the box from pivoting on the deck, so something like a safety chain wrapped around the front of the box rails to the truck frame rails.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96