Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-08-2009, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That last photo on the hill was a good half a mile away from my truck. I was sitting up there waiting for the skidders to come up the hill. And ya, the morning sun just made everything look real nice.

Thanks Chris for the compliments- the grapple is used to move large trees out of the way of the skidders and then stack up all the debris along the edge of the ROW after it has been shredded.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That a very nice lookin KW. I've seen it a few times on 95.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I would have thought the skidders could go pretty much anywhere. Did they have logging chains on them?
08 F 550 Dump 9.5 Xtreme V
07 Cam Superline 6 Ton tilt deck
07 20ft Enclosed Trailer
08 Bobcat 430 mini
Old 03-08-2009, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Skidders have their limitations and anytime you have snow and tires it doesn't mix. You would have to have chains on all 4 wheels with ice picks on the chains.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The skidders only had chains on the front tires. The orange skidder made it up the hill the day before. But the morning they tried it again, both started slipping. Ice sure is a finicky thing.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ARP, thanks for all the pics I enjoyed following this thread. Is the mulching unit your's also or are you just running the bobcat/wgrapple? Are you working with Lewis tree service? I'm in the power industry and in NE also. Usually they clear the ROW's for us with either two modified skidders with rotary mowers or a fecon 140 and 10k mini ex with Cimaf head. They sure make quite abit of progress considering the terrain. Do you know the line number your working on? On the truck did you buy new or used? I'm looking into a 450 and was really leaning towards used.

Matt
Old 03-09-2009, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

GW,

I'm glad you have enjoyed the thread. Stay tuned, as I will be adding more photos of this job and others as I keep going here.

In regards to the equipment I'm running right now, I am just running the T320 with a grapple and bucket. This week I am demoing a mulcher head and probably will be adding one to my arsenal in the next 2 weeks. Once I do that, I will be bouncing around even more to different sites. I'm also chasing some more projects where I might be able to add a excavator and various attachments.

I'm working for Asplundh Tree who works for National Grid. I don't know the line number, but we are in Princeton, MA right now.

What do you do for the power companies? I'm intrigued.

My truck is used. I got it in NC with low miles and for a great price. So far it has been great, minus the issues that the 6.4 motor has with radiators. Nothing an extended warranty can't cover. It tows like a beast and the interior is extremely comfortable for those long hours on the road.

Andrew
Old 03-29-2009, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Time to blow the dust off this thread and report on some good news.

Finally bought the first machine for my company. After just about a year in business, I signed the papers this week on the T320, combo bucket, pallet forks, forestry grapple, and mulcher.

From getting up at 4AM everyday, to dealing with equipment, it's been an interesting month to say the least. Just this week I put 1500 miles on the truck with everything going on.

For the picture fiends on here, here's the "Beast" on her "home" and in the "wild":
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2009, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Nice pics!! Ford and bobcat two of the best
Old 03-29-2009, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's awesome especially in this economy. Is the head a rebadged fecon? Are you working steady with more work lined up? I'm seeing some really good deals on lighty used 450's so we'll see where that goes. Congrats on your success and I hope it continues. Keep the pics coming.

Matt