Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-29-2009, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would stay at home forever just lock the parents in the basement and collect their mail. j/k I am 24 and have a house payment 2 supply yard lot payments 2 machine payments 2 truck payments and I can't keep up with all the insurance it really sucks. I wonder sometimes if it is even worth it especially around this time of year when I do my taxes. My friends and siblings are still in school becoming doctors, pharmacist, and vets and I work 24/7 while they go on spring break and such. Some my envy owning your own business I did too. But now that I am up there competing with some of my friends dads in business and have employees it is hard to keep it all rolling.

And I know what you mean about peoples comments I have my share of haters they can't wait to see me fail. I just tell everyone I am an employee and I don't have to listen to that but your so young bs.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm impressed my man, really am. I would be trying to do the same thing as you but I know eventually I will take over the family business so I'm just doing my best to keep a good name and a perfect work record. I already run it like I own it, thats the way I am and the pride I take.

So do you pull your equipment home everyday or leave it on the jobsite? This may have been answer but I don't want to to look through 18 pages lol.

Keep on keeping on

"Life is like running a motor grader. You have to look down the road and plan for whats ahead and not down at your feet!"

http://www.youtube.com/user/letsdig18

New facebook fan page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Letsdi...3541611?v=wall

Old 03-29-2009, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Canon- like I said, I envy people like you who have reached a certain level of success and are striving for that next level. I'd be really interested about hearing about the supply yard side of business as that is a direction I am contemplating going in the future. We should talk sometime. I'd probably go after more of the construction aggregate side of the market with a screening and crushing operation on site, but I have to imagine the basics and economics of the yard business would be the same.

And ya, I hear you on the spring vacation and all. I got some lovely calls from buddies of mine mid-march while they were all in tropical paradises. It's real fun hearing the sun and waves are awesome while you're crawling around in the mud and snow!

Chris- The machine is usually only home on weekends when I can't find a secure place for it in the wilderness, or like this weekend when I had to do another job with it. The warm weather and those flip flops must be making you lazy these days huh? (JK) Please send some of that warm weather up this way- just keep the mud and bugs with you though
Old 03-29-2009, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARP View Post

Chris- The machine is usually only home on weekends when I can't find a secure place for it in the wilderness, or like this weekend when I had to do another job with it. The warm weather and those flip flops must be making you lazy these days huh? (JK) Please send some of that warm weather up this way- just keep the mud and bugs with you though
haha, I was actually in shorts and flip flops today lol. it was 75 out. I'll send you some of those swamp skeeters with the warm weather

It's almost warm enough to work outside again LOL

"Life is like running a motor grader. You have to look down the road and plan for whats ahead and not down at your feet!"

http://www.youtube.com/user/letsdig18

New facebook fan page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Letsdi...3541611?v=wall

Old 03-29-2009, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Geez, looking back this thread is getting a little serious! Since I'm a picture kinda guy, here's some pics:

First day with the new mulcher. Had to clear this 400' by 100' hill side of vegetation so that a skidder crew can set up and take down some damaged trees. Couldn't walk through the place beforehand.

Before:
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2009, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

And now some after pics:
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2009, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

hows it run the mulcher? any thing you pay close attention to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 03-29-2009, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Oops, almost forgot- the ceremonial 100 hr mark where the machine either keeps working or falls apart around me. (Hoping it was put together on a good day in the factory and that it keeps working).
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2009, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ouch Chris, ouch.

Junior- the head works real well. While I'm still fairly new to the mulching side of things, the big things you have to look out for are as follows:
1. Go slow. Even if the ground looks like you can run real fast, don't because someting will be there to ruin your day. I run at less than 1 mph most of the time in dense brush like that pictured above. Also helps to protect the machine and hydraulic couplers from branches falling on them. Even going slow doesn't save you all the time from the stuff listed next:
2. Rocks- hit one hard with the carbide teeth and you can pop a tooth off. Already had that happen with a rock buried under the snow when and the machine teetered over a hump in the ground and the head hit the ground. Again, its all about the learning process, and I'm still learning. Expensive learning process though .
3. Petrified stumps- see rocks above.
4. Steel cable. Hit this yesterday. Wrapped almost 100' in the drum of 1" braided steel cable. Got too ambitious and got too close to it. Man does that like to wrap tight in the mulcher! Ruined a set of bolt cutters and lost an hour of production getting it out. Also knocked two carbide teeth out. It's been my week with these carbide teeth.
5. Tires- just not fun.

Basically, you really don't want to hit anything hard with the head and you really don't want to hit anything metal. It just happens that all the places I work are either "junkyards", or the worst terrain possible for this type of machine (ie electrical ROWS with junk, rocks, stumps, and hills that allow the machine to fall into said obstacles). It doesn't help that the ROWs don't give you too much room to manuever and approach work and obstacles from different directions.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Member

I wish the terrian was that easy here it would make brush clearing easier. When B.C. Hydro (provincial hydro company) does ROW clearing they have a contractor with a modified Madill feller buncher. The buncher head is replaced with a mulching head

A Madill Buncher like this one

http://usediron.point2.com/Photo/Equ...510471-1-M.jpg

A buncher can crawl over some extreme terrain where no other machine can go.