Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-06-2011, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you in a partnership with someone now Andrew? Congrats on the new purchase and the busy schedule!

A.E.L

Excavating, Grading, Demolition, Land Clearing, Custom Grinding Services, Storm water management, Erosion Control.

Check out our new YouTube account!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWI...YEpKMXUcrB1jBw
Old 02-06-2011, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm in partnership with a few people now. How did your trip go? Shoot me an email when you get a chance.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-06-2011, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

im sure TSS can tell you a few things about partnerships...
Old 02-06-2011, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea they are the only ships that should never leave the harbour

A.E.L

Excavating, Grading, Demolition, Land Clearing, Custom Grinding Services, Storm water management, Erosion Control.

Check out our new YouTube account!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWI...YEpKMXUcrB1jBw
Old 02-06-2011, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So who's going to run this while you're out doing ROW work? Seems obvious to me that you do not get the "Tree and Landscape Trader" magazine, if you did you would have realized how foolish it was to spend this kind of $ on this machine. There are guys selling fairly new full size grinders with low hours for less.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-07-2011, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What was the guy with all of the equipment processing the stumps and slash with before you bought the new grinder?

Old 02-07-2011, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For the most part, ROW work does not happen at the same time I am grinding. But if it does, I have people to fill in for me to keep things running. And yes, I am aware of all the larger grinders out there for "great prices." However, owning one of those now does not make sense for my operation for a variety of reasons.

The individual I'm working with owned the largest Peterson tracked grinder made and processed everything with that for several years. A few years ago he sold the Peterson and then hired contract grinders to come in and do all his grinding for him.

I have talked with TSS and others about their bad experiences with a partnerships and those situations certainly stink for all of those involved. I've found though, that in general a partnership is only as good as the relationship between the parties and the written agreement that is created to protect that relationship.

WWW.ARPLANTE.COM

A.R.Plante on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...0670251?ref=ts

Check Out Our Videos on YouTube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/arplante...s?feature=mhee
Old 02-08-2011, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Have you thought about expanding your ROW abilities? Differnt machines that can get you more work.

I know in my area they only hire 1 company with bucket trucks, one to spray herbicides, 1 for tractor work, 1 for mulching,etc. I think they do this to keep everyone small, if you know what I mean.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

hahahaa you really have no idea how nasty a partnership can get even with the best contracts and agreements. I've seen it happen.

How does owning a larger machine that can produce more per hour and actually handle stump for LESS then what you paid for your toy not make sense? I read the bs about you getting more per yard as you claim. However have you accounted for the fact your machine WILL be taking 10x the abuse and strain as a large grinder? Have you taken into account that even though you make make $1-2 more a yard on paper its going to take you 2x as long to make it?? So really you are making less money then having a large grinder.

Maybe you should've like others have said focused on ROW work. There is a reason why any company that's serious about making mulch doesn't d1ck around with machines that get pulled by a glorifie pickup.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by KE-llc; 02-09-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

someones a bit touchy?

andrew didnt come on here asking about advice on the grinder, if he did and everyone told him to get a large unit then I'd understand feeling a bit frustrated. secondly its his money, his company and his equipment = zero liability for you. there is no reason to use caustic remarks like that.

"Andrew, personally i dont think the grinder you went with is the best choice because in my opinion there are larger units for reasonable prices able to do twice the output with less upkeep cost per yd."

doesnt that get the same point across without making you look like a dick? I dont remember an "I told you so" situation has arisen where any of us have told ARP to do something one way and he disregards the advice and comes on here complaining that his way didnt work out. I can think of a few other members that that would apply to...

Last edited by ProTouch Groundscapes; 02-09-2011 at 09:54 AM.