Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-21-2011, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Where in MA are you, we are in Granby daily with our tri axle. How much a yard?
Kubota L3540
Scag Turf Tigers
Wright Standers
Stihl 2-stroke equipment
Old 04-21-2011, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I know your company is probably an exception to the rule. But from what I have seen and studied in biz school it never works out for most companies that start out like yours buying all new depreciating equipment and trucks. If you are going to post pics of all this shiny eye candy why not let everyone in on a little bit of the nuts and bolts behind it all?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-21-2011, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

P- no worries. Just nipping anymore conversation about the equipment choices in the bud before things get out of hand. And ya, it is funny to see those little trucks in front of a 2700 yd pile of mulch

oakhills- Thanks man! We'll load anytime day or night

hvy 1ton- Driving on the mulch compacts it and makes it harder for the liquid dye to dry. Once the mulch sits a week or two, I would have no problem driving on it to stack it higher as the heat in the pile will have helped dry it out.

SIWEL- The mulch yard is in SE MA in a town called East Bridgewater. Kinda the opposite direction than Granby lol.

Moredirt- I don't think we're the exception to the rule at all. My family has invested a lot of money and time into this company to get it set up to capture certain markets. Hopefully this will all pay off one day, but there are no guarantees. All we can do is keep adapting and pushing the envelope.

In terms of some nuts and bolts, whatever someone purchases, new or used, depreciates on the company books. What it really comes down to is can the equipment and lines of business you are involved in justify on a cash flow basis the monthly payments for all "the shiny stuff"? Without getting into private company info, I would be more than willing to share what I keep learning everyday.

As I mentioned in an PM to someone else on the site, I only post the fun stuff. All the stress (I'm still looking for my first gray hair), hard work (started at 7AM and just got home at 10PM tonight- been doing this schedule for a few months now), and other sacrifices that have been made I chose not to dwell on here. Everyone knows this takes hard work, and I'm glad that some people can get ideas from what we do. I'm small potatoes right now, but I'll be more than willing to discuss some aspects of business if people would like.

Just so I can begin to get a sense of people's understanding, what's your background in this business Moredirt?

WWW.ARPLANTE.COM

A.R.Plante on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...0670251?ref=ts

Check Out Our Videos on YouTube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/arplante...s?feature=mhee
Old 04-21-2011, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I own a chain of landscape supply stores. I am the same age as u
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-21-2011, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's pretty cool! I should be asking you some questions then

Is this a family business or something you started?

WWW.ARPLANTE.COM

Check Out Our Videos on YouTube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/arplante...s?feature=mhee
Old 04-21-2011, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Andrew, how many gallons of water do you go through per day when you're coloring material and I'm sorry if you already answered this but what type of coloring system did you get? I saw liquid but I didn't see a brand name.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

7.3- I go through 1200 gallons an hour. It equates to a little over 10 gallons per yard. We have a 9200 gallon water trailer on site that is filled up daily that we draw water from.

We use a system called the "Colorjet."

WWW.ARPLANTE.COM

Old 04-22-2011, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Started it myself.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-22-2011, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOREDIRT View Post
Started it myself.
Posted via Mobile Device
Continue....
Old 04-22-2011, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, 20 gallons a yard I was going to ask some of the coloring questions but most have been answered in this thread. I didn't realize how much water that process requires. I still want to get down there ARP, just crazy now with weddings and landscape construction booming. Not booming per say, but busy season is here. I'll call soon. Oh ya, how much to grind up bodies? Is it by the yard or by corpse Always helps to diversify