Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-07-2013, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you don't mind me asking what model morbark did you end up getting?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2013, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We ended up getting the smallest tracked, heavy duty ("forestry" version they call it), 20-22" infeed size chipper they make called the M20R forestry. It is supposed to perform like the larger 30/36 chipper which has a 22-23" capacity, but with a smaller footprint so that I can use it alongside highways. We speced the chipper out with the max horsepower (a 400hp deere engine), which is the same size engine on two of my friend's 30/36 chippers. Most of the time we will just be blowing the chips back in the woods, but if need be the chipper has been designed to easily fill a 53' live floor/chip van.

WWW.ARPLANTE.COM

A.R.Plante on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...0670251?ref=ts

Check Out Our Videos on YouTube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/arplante...s?feature=mhee
Old 12-08-2013, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The growth that you have accomplished is absolutely phenomenal and inspirational, you should be proud! How much would you pay a guy with a class A CDL that can run all of your equipment and doesn't require constant supervision??
Old 12-08-2013, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Is the mowing along the highways to reduce over growth or for highway expansion work? Are you required to remove and grind stumps?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2013, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARP View Post
Thanks Dylan. We're hoping (and its starting to look like) we may be getting in a very busy period for the type of work we do. We're actually so busy with this work that I have pulled way back on our snow work and am basically just working hourly with the loader and trackloader on some industrial complexes near my home.
Good to hear Andrew. I have never been this busy with excavation work this late in the year. Usually by now things are dead and waiting for snow. I have a month and half of work to do and still have calls coming in. I hope it is a sign of a bigger year next year. Ill have to run into you at NE Grows this year. I think I missed you last year due to snow
Old 12-08-2013, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nedly- Thanks for the kind words. It's been a long path to get to where we are and we're not done yet. Are you looking for a change of scenery? ;-)

Sean- most of our work is to reduce overgrowth and improve sightlines. The project mix is a 50/50 split these days- some jobs everything can be mulched or cut and chipped in place, while other projects require that the stumps be removed.

Is that McCloskey in your photo yours? Contract screening is a big push of mine right now in addition to this land clearing work.

Dylan- Glad to hear you're busy! Last year was a bad year for snow for everyone. We aren't exhibiting at NE Grows this year but I'm going to at least try and make it there. When the time gets closer let's see if we can try to meet up.

WWW.ARPLANTE.COM

Check Out Our Videos on YouTube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/arplante...s?feature=mhee
Old 12-08-2013, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Andrew, Mc closkey was a rental for a job we had screening a large pile of topsoil for a government project. It is one of a few machines I hope to add over the next few months to the fleet .
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-09-2013, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Was that the 621 you ended up renting? What were you loading it and managing the stockpiles with? Just curious as I'm trying to decide what's the best size machine I want to look at setting ourselves up with. Bigger may not be better for me for what I want to try to do...

WWW.ARPLANTE.COM

Old 12-09-2013, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Screening plant was being loaded with a 228 komatsu excavator , and the stockpiles with a 700 h wide pad blade and a 344 loader. The blade would alternate between pushing material down towards the 228 , and pushing up and ramping the stockpile for the loader to move material.

For what we plan to do the 621 did everything we asked of it and more . It kept the 228 steady loading considering the material had lots of concrete, rock, and garbage in it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-09-2013, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are looking for a 30 tonne machine check out the Toronto Ritchie brothers auction today- got a brand new 350G and 3 or 4 350 hitachi machines with under 2000 hours. All very well maintained and under factory warranty still.
Posted via Mobile Device