Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-31-2014, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Im sure you all ready have said in the past but what type of chipper do you have coming?

I would have thought your reyco would work good for whole tree chipping.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a Morbark M20R Forestry edition coming on a Cat 312 undercarriage powered by a 400 hp Deere engine. The chipper will comfortably handle 20-22" trees while the Rayco will only do up to 17" (it likes 12" diameter logs a lot better. The Rayco also only has 240 hp will the Morbark will have 400 hp. For us, the chipper was necessitated by a need to be able to blow chips into the woods rather than just being able to discharge a big pile of grindings that would need to be reloaded.

WWW.ARPLANTE.COM

A.R.Plante on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...0670251?ref=ts

Check Out Our Videos on YouTube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/arplante...s?feature=mhee
Old 02-02-2014, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What's a ball park $ on that rotobec Andrew? We've been thinking about one for our 315D, the thumb just isnt t productive handling all the wood we have been.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2014, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It is just under $50k with the installation costs.

WWW.ARPLANTE.COM

Check Out Our Videos on YouTube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/arplante...s?feature=mhee
Old 02-02-2014, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Member

How does the 160 handle all the weight on the end of the stick? It kinda looks like your ready for a 2154!
Good luck with your rotobec grapple. Hopefully they have improved on some of there flaws.we had one on a 250 log loader and we had lots of problems and ended up putting another brand grapple on after 1500hrs
Old 02-02-2014, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARP View Post
It is just under $50k with the installation costs.
Man they want a pretty penny for those Rotobec's. Is it a dual motor model for the rotation?

We had 2 Rotobec's on our CX75 and the new model wasn't any better so we traded the tired CX75 in and ordered a Doosan DX85-3 and are having a AGS050 Towtem built to our specs. The new DX235LCR is getting a custom built AGS072-02 Towtem and it wasn't anything near 50 and it's got to be pretty comparable.

No one really runs Rotobec's around here since they can't hold up to boulders. Ours was pulling apart even when it was new. Our Towtem's on the other hand handle abuse much better.

Maybe the tine buckets push the price up since ours are just boulder buckets.

Last edited by Cornell; 02-02-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I had extensive conversations with the owner of Towtem, Keith, before we decided to go with the Rotobec. Keith was excellent to work with and to be honest, if he was closer we probably would have gone with a Towtem over the Rotobec since they were both around the same price. My concerns since this was a new attachment to us, was local support and popularity of the attachment in my area. In both areas, Rotobec won since they are manufactured just north of us in Canda and have a local shop in NH. Our John Deere dealership was also familiar with fitting a Rotobec to a machine whereas they had never dealt with a Towtem attachment before. I also like how all of the hydraulic plumbing for the Rotobec is contained on the attachment versus the Towtem which was going to require mounting a valve on the catwalk of the excavator next to the cab. With all of the wood chips and debris the machine is exposed to on a daily basis I like to keep everything as protected as possible and it was my personal preference to not mount anything extra on the outside of our machine.

Based on the positive reviews I have received from several land clearing contractors in my area who run Rotobec's I have high expectations for our new grapple. If it does not live up to expectations, I would not hesitate to call Keith up at Towtem and get one of his grapples for our next machine.

WWW.ARPLANTE.COM

Old 02-03-2014, 01:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Understood, I wish you good luck with it! Nothing more displeasing with buying a new attachment and having issues with it.

As for your reasoning it makes total sense, I don't however understand why your Deere dealer said you have to mount the extra stack on the exterior of the machine, ours are plumed in right behind the cab and fully protected just like anything else on a machine, swing the service door open and its all right there... also easily serviceable in the event that a relief goes or something similar. Now I usually just keep the parts on hand and do it myself. From the times I've watched our service guy fix something over the past 4-5 years I learned and it's just quicker that way and I like knowing how it all works and it's very simple to fix most of the time.

No idea if your Rotobec is going to be plummed the same as ours was but with our CX75 we either had the rotate function, or the open/close. On our Towtems with the extra stack (valve) I can run both functions simultaneously and it's a lot safer and more productive. Also with the Towtem there are no electronics or valves run out to the attachment.... Our CX75 had the valve on the attachment and the plug was constantly being jarred/pulled out even after I protected it and taped it up. With the Towtem the only thing sent down the boom/stick is hydraulic pressure.

Also when our Rotobec was maybe 6 months old we were clearing a few smaller trees and the bolts on the turn table sheared off and the whole attachment dropped 5' along with the tree it had in the clam. Very scary.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd be curious to see how you mounted the valving on your machines. Could you maybe send me a picture of your setup? Deere didn't suggest mounting it on the catwalk, Keith actually told me to put it there. I never brought the attachment before Deere since I wasn't fond of that idea so I didn't get their input on mounting it elsewhere.

The Rotobec operates off of solenoids on valves that only allow me to rotate or open/close at one time. I can see where building walls you would want to be able to multifunction a bit more. For my work, as much as I would like to have more multifunction and proportional control, the Rotobec will more than work for what I need to do. And again the local support on the Rotobec kinda sealed the deal for me right now.

There are several guys that run Rotobecs on 200-300 size machines in my area that do large land clearing and pipeline work. I have yet to hear from them anything bad about a Rotobec yet, but I will keep an eye on the turntable bolts hearing your story now. I know handling woody material is a lot less abrasive than handling rocks all day long and I wonder if the jarring associated with handling the rocks caused the bolt failure? Either way, still not a fun thing to happen and I'm glad no one got hurt.

WWW.ARPLANTE.COM

Old 02-03-2014, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I'd be curious to see how you mounted the valving on your machines. Could you maybe send me a picture of your setup? Deere didn't suggest mounting it on the catwalk, Keith actually told me to put it there. I never brought the attachment before Deere since I wasn't fond of that idea so I didn't get their input on mounting it elsewhere.
I gotcha, just trying to go off what you said. We're lucky enough to have our dealer and they seem to do a great job with equipping Towtems on machines, they are constantly outfitting 1-2 machines when I stop by to say Hi.

I've seen just about everything with the extra stack and mounting. I saw someone mount the stack directly on the stick and it was rachet-strapped on.

The DX85 will be done Thursday, it's a little different setup than our DX180 but they still added the stack. The DX180 is on a jobsite right now about an hour away or I would go take a picture for you. The DX235LCR will start getting plummed the same day the DX85 is done and I may have them put the stack in the battery box since it's a reduced tail swing so space is tight. We shall see. I'll get pictures when I can.

Quote:
The Rotobec operates off of solenoids on valves that only allow me to rotate or open/close at one time. I can see where building walls you would want to be able to multifunction a bit more. For my work, as much as I would like to have more multifunction and proportional control, the Rotobec will more than work for what I need to do. And again the local support on the Rotobec kinda sealed the deal for me right now.
Yep, with the rotobec the issue I had was when I would switch from rotate to open/close or vise versa there would be a surge/drop in hyd pressure from the solenoid switching functions resulting in a larger boulder most of the time being dropped or slipping from how I wanted it, between that and the single motor with a low relief is was almost impossible to rotate good sized rocks. The dual motor Towtems have a lot more rotating power and stand up to the constant jarring of boulders from personal experience. If one motor goes down I can bypass it, pull it, and run on just one in less than an hour so I'm not down very long which is critical to me. While using one function at a time isn't horrible (We did it for 7 years with our Rotobec before we outfitted our CX160 with an older model Towtem) using both at the same time is a lot more natural and fluid if you have to do work in tight spaces (next to houses in my case).

Quote:
There are several guys that run Rotobecs on 200-300 size machines in my area that do large land clearing and pipeline work. I have yet to hear from them anything bad about a Rotobec yet, but I will keep an eye on the turntable bolts hearing your story now. I know handling woody material is a lot less abrasive than handling rocks all day long and I wonder if the jarring associated with handling the rocks caused the bolt failure? Either way, still not a fun thing to happen and I'm glad no one got hurt.
Those turntable bolts seemed like a fluke/unlucky, even our Turntable on the DX180 after 1 year of boulder use had 3 broken bolts. There are 30+ but it does happen so we go over them every winter and replace them. Rocks are hard on equipment...It happens. It happened very early in the year right after we went through the attachment so it was a bit scary.

For you the only thing that really concerns me would be the solenoids on the attachment. I could see sticks and branches getting in there from the nature of your work and changing the clamping force or pulling the electronic plug out. I suppose handling trees vs boulders makes a huge difference but I would keep an eye out and see if it can be shielded better somehow. With our Towtem's I wasn't happy with the standard design so I made a few changes to help me out and Towtem gladly built it to our spec.