Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-06-2009, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Andrew, I am curious as to how you ended up with a new Mseries? did you ask for it? or was it all they had?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 08-06-2009, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't understand cutting the wall off at one point and leaving embankment unsupported. I could understand if the wall was to be done in phases, but since the ends are cut it leads me to believe that's the whole wall. Oh well, not a big deal, maybe that's all his parents wanted? I myself wouldn't do something like that even if a customer wanted it done, but this wasn't for a client so it's all good. Corner blocks aren't necessary, the stairway looks fine IMO. Guys who bash others work, why don't you post up some pics of yours? Real easy for guys to tear down others work without representing some of their own. Just a thought.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 08-07-2009, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Talus- I don't think water will be an issue, but if it is we will fill the cracks in with a fine mortar. I presented that potential issue to the homeowners (my family) when they made the change to granite steps from the concrete at the last minute and they all felt that the way it is would work for them. On hindsight, I would have made sure that the ends of the granite came squared off, and not the natural face that they had here. Doing so would have allowed me to fit it in tighter with the wall. As it is, there is no sand under those steps, but rather about 6 tons of compacted dense grade (3/4" process). Again, the homeowners wanted it that way, but I can definitely think of a few things I would do to improve the next project just to make it look better in my eyes.

nnj18- Thank you for your comments. You certainly found every little "unfinished detail" (reference my comment of a "few small details still being tied up") on the project. I'd like to address your concerns so that others can learn the reasoning behind what we all see here.
1.) I agree that ideally the wall needs to curve some more. However, NStar (our power utility) and Verizon would be really upset if I dug any closer to their power pole to install the wall.
2.) Due to an issue with the thickness of the blocks in the wall, the cap on the wall had to be installed by a mason to set it level and straight. Additionally, since I had to return to my landclearing duties off cape and the homeowners were not sure how they wanted the wall to end by the time I had to leave (either straight or stepped) the mason was also charged with capping the end of the wall.
3.) I know I may be an ignorant landclearer, but yes I have heard of corner blocks (reference corners by steps). Again, refer to my discussion of Point #2 above to find out why the wall is that way.
4.) Reference my response to Talus. As an additional note, I will say that I would be more than open to any suggestions of how to tie an irregularly shaped 7" tall granite step into a 6" tall concrete block. Again, this was one of the points I brought up to the homeowners before the project even broke ground.

nnj18- Final note: I will be the first to admit when something is not right. I enjoy and cherish well thought out and constructive criticism as I enjoy improving my skills everyday. Your comments however, smacked of condescension. I (as well as others here), do not appreciate that type of attitude here as it does not work to promote the learning environment that is this forum. This is a big boys forum- please act like you should belong here.

Now to everyone else:
How could the steps have been tied in better to the wall (short of having to cut each concrete block)? I really am curious and would appreciate any constructive comments. I know there are many good hardscapers on here.

WWW.ARPLANTE.COM

A.R.Plante on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...0670251?ref=ts

Check Out Our Videos on YouTube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/arplante...s?feature=mhee
Old 08-07-2009, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That embankment is the original embankment (read has been there for 40 something years). The loose soil on top is actually what happened after I raked the face of the embankment to clean it up at the end of the project. By stepping back the end of the wall, we can pull the dirt over the end of the wall more gradually. The goal is to have the end of the wall buried about 2-3' behind a slope of dirt to replicate what was there originally and to protect the end of this wall from damage from snowplows. By the time everything is said and done, you won't even be able to see the end of the wall.

In terms of the wall, the end was stepped back and a cap was placed on each "step". I'm sorry I don't have the final photos as I have not been able to get back down there yet. I've been told it looks great, so I am as excited as all of you to see it. I will post some more photos of the "completely" finished wall soon.

WWW.ARPLANTE.COM

Check Out Our Videos on YouTube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/arplante...s?feature=mhee
Old 08-07-2009, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

scagtiger- Thanks for your kind words. I too think the end could look better and am looking forward to see what the mason did. The blocks were only placed there for the mason to be able to work with them if they were needed. It is stepped now.

Junior- All the dealer had was an M-series. So it was pretty much luck that I got it. (Glad I did too!)

Scag- Thanks for your comments. How's work for you these days? I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of the PC400s and 600s. I miss those days...

WWW.ARPLANTE.COM

Old 08-07-2009, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Member

You have done a nice job there. Lots of work it must have cost your parents a good chunk of money in materials.

I have helped with enough block walls I refuse to do them anymore my back can't take the bending over.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
haha I'm sorry but this is HORRIBLE.

#1 wall needs to come out more an curve into the embankment .
#2 there are blocks and cap NOT cut to same end point of wall??
#3 ever heard of corner blocks with the chiseled face on a corner to give a clean presentable look???

Quote:
nnj18- Final note: I will be the first to admit when something is not right. I enjoy and cherish well thought out and constructive criticism as I enjoy improving my skills everyday. Your comments however, smacked of condescension. I (as well as others here), do not appreciate that type of attitude here as it does not work to promote the learning environment that is this forum. This is a big boys forum- please act like you should belong here.

What would we ever do without nnj18's benevolence?? His wisdom just pours out onto his keyboard for all us peasants on lawnsite to behold. Maybe one day we can even begin to hope to garner as much landscaping wisdom as he has accumulated over the course of his long and fulfilling life.

It must really be true, that darned old saying that dogs so many adolescents; "Its not the years in your wisdom, but the wisdom in your years".

Now back on topic, ARP, awesome work, this thread is really a great testament to what dedication and long hours will get you. Its nice to come on here and see real hard working individuals who put life into their work compared to what you see on television, those who rack up debt, living beyond their means, etc... Continue the great work, I'll be following this thread closely.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

end is a not right. the stairs you could/ should mortar the ends between the wall and stairs or something to keep water from getting in there
Old 08-07-2009, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering why you need a mason to put the caps on? I have done alot on walls like this and they were always level on the top of the wall, and we just glued them on. I like to "string" the caps, so they are always end up looking good and square.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scag48 View Post
I don't understand cutting the wall off at one point and leaving embankment unsupported. I could understand if the wall was to be done in phases, but since the ends are cut it leads me to believe that's the whole wall. Oh well, not a big deal, maybe that's all his parents wanted? I myself wouldn't do something like that even if a customer wanted it done, but this wasn't for a client so it's all good. Corner blocks aren't necessary, the stairway looks fine IMO. Guys who bash others work, why don't you post up some pics of yours? Real easy for guys to tear down others work without representing some of their own. Just a thought.
I pretty sure Andrew knows I wasn't ripping on him. He has seen my yard and it's not going to be in Better Homes and Gardens anytime soon I had a messed up sitiuation with my fulltime job for a while so I have quite a few unfinished projects around. Plus he knows the only thing I pick on him for is his love for the orange and white. Even that is all in good fun. He has quite the operation going. For someone his age to have the business sense that he already has is impressive. I wish I did what he's doing when I was that age.

P.S. I also have to stay on good terms with him because in 16 years from now I'd like him to put my son to work