Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-28-2009, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Member

It is easier to carry a machine on the back of a truck especially when you have a 5-6 ton hoe you can drive the truck down the road where a trailer can't go. It sure saves walking the machine for miles. There are places where guys have had to walk a hoe that took 1.5-2 hours can't get a trailer down the road.

I'am a Ford man but I don't think I would buy a newer truck than a 07 the thought of taking the cab off to work on the engine.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

you have to take the cab off to do any major work since 99 LOL
Old 09-28-2009, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Member

When I looked at a 08 had a good look under the hood of a engine shoe horned in the engine bay slammed the hood and said no thanks.

The 6.0 you can see everything the 6.4 you can't see anything.

Getting the turbo off of a 6.0 is easier than a 7.3 in a "Superduty" body.

Nothing is as bad as working on a diesel powered E series.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the offer Picasso. I think for the time being I'm going to stick with my setup. When I get another employee to drive the second truck, that's when I'll think about something else.

I understand the arguments against the newer superdutys due to the difficulty on servicing them. My take on that argument is that I'm not a mechanic, I'm a businessman (and operator for the time being). My time is not well spent under the hood of my truck doing major repairs. If I'm not running a machine completing the work that I land, I am out networking and looking for more opportunities. Therefore, if my vehicle (or any equipment)needs a major service I will just send it to a dealer. I manage the cost of going to a dealer with extended warranties that cover everything.

While the older superdutys were great trucks, I don't think that it is a good business decision to purchase and rely on a vehicle that is over 10 yrs old. Heck, I'm having trouble with a vehicle that is 2 yrs old! At least the 6.0s and 7.3s had a great sound to them

WWW.ARPLANTE.COM

A.R.Plante on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...0670251?ref=ts

Check Out Our Videos on YouTube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/arplante...s?feature=mhee
Old 09-29-2009, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Our business outlook is exactly like ARP's. We are not mechanics, we are pool installers, if a machine or one of our trucks needs any work done to it we take it to a certified mechanic. People pay us for our expertise and we have no problem paying a mechanic who specialized in thier respective field. I know not everyone feels this way but it takes everyone to spend money on other trades and services to make the world go round. JMO.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

While I agree with both you and ARP I think GR has a point. Not only is it extremely difficult to work on these engines there design is poor. Most people expect a diesel engine to last for 200-300k of real work daily. With routine maintenance. These engines have a ton of important parts that won't even last 70k. And the new EPA freindly equipment is a total joke. Sure your emissions are less but you burn twice as much fuel so tell me how that actually reduces pollution. When you purchase a HD truck to tow/haul and fork over almost 8k more for the engine and tranny it should not have any engine related issues until at least 150k. And that's hauling heavy loads.

Matt
Old 09-29-2009, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't get me wrong, I wish they still put the 7.3s in the new trucks. I don't think anyone is doubting the reliability of the older engines. Its just impossible to plan a business while hoping to find a truck that was produced almost 10 years ago. This puts us in the position of relying on these new trucks with emissions equipment that reduces the overall reliability of the vehicle. (Seriously, what genius said, "Hey! Let's burn more fuel to pollute less!") I'm all for protecting/managing the environment that we live in (heck, I make my living doing that), but seriously, some of the "green initiatives" these days boggle my mind

WWW.ARPLANTE.COM

Check Out Our Videos on YouTube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/arplante...s?feature=mhee
Old 09-29-2009, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Member

ARP, Where did you go to school, just out of curiosity?
Old 09-29-2009, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Boston University's School of Management

WWW.ARPLANTE.COM

Old 09-29-2009, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Andrew here is a pic of my flatbed carrying my s205 and my s70. The bed is 21' long but what we originally wanted was to be able to carry at the time my bobcat 341 mini and my t190 but we needed another 10' feet or so for them to fit the way we wanted on the truck. But of course it was more money and cdl came into affect which none of my guys had a cdl. The last job this truck came in handy because it was on a dead end street and absoluty no turning anywhere for a trailer it was so bad that when the nursery delivered the trees on a Trailer we actually had to disconnect his trailer and turn it around with my machine it was horrible. where i am everything is so dam tight and never any parking.

I would love to sell this truck and get a bigger one to haul my 305 and my 190but i cant justify selling this truck and buying a new one
Attached Images