Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-02-2009, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Craaaig- will do

landscapesc- Thanks for the compliments! I am a sub to another national company that has the contract for the pipeline. It is very tough to get in with the utility directly as you need to demonstrate a track record of that type of work, you need to be familiar with their safety protocols, your equipment has to be in good condition to meet their approvals, and your insurance has to be rather hefty.

WWW.ARPLANTE.COM

A.R.Plante on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...0670251?ref=ts

Check Out Our Videos on YouTube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/arplante...s?feature=mhee
Old 10-03-2009, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeah its tought to get those contracts....about 2 yrs ago i was going to do what you are doing and instead took a job as a Div Pres for a large southeast landscape contracting company and there are days when i wish i had ventured out on my own, does that national contractor work down here in SC? Did you know somebody that could help you get the work or was it a low bid situation....if you dont want to say anything i understand. What do you do if you have a breakdown on that pipeline???? I hate when one of our bobcats break down and the dealer is only 20 minutes away! That must be a pain in the a**....anyway keep up the good work!
Old 10-03-2009, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by landscapesc View Post
Yeah its tought to get those contracts....about 2 yrs ago i was going to do what you are doing and instead took a job as a Div Pres for a large southeast landscape contracting company and there are days when i wish i had ventured out on my own, does that national contractor work down here in SC? Did you know somebody that could help you get the work or was it a low bid situation....if you dont want to say anything i understand. What do you do if you have a breakdown on that pipeline???? I hate when one of our bobcats break down and the dealer is only 20 minutes away! That must be a pain in the a**....anyway keep up the good work!
What company? Wouldnt happen to be Marshall landscaping would it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 10-03-2009, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Landscapesc- I sent you a PM. If something breaks, it is a pain in the butt. I mitigate that by having a bunch of common spare parts (filters, fluid, blades, teeth, etc) on hand. I also make sure my equipment is in top notch condition before I take it anywhere by doing a thorough cleaning and service before it leaves for a job. Also, I have been relatively lucky so far with my equipment (besides my truck....). Only one minor electrical problem with the Bobcat earlier this summer. Other than that, it's running very well with 545 hrs of hard work on the clock. But yes, being 2 hrs from any dealer has the potential to be a big pain in the butt.

WWW.ARPLANTE.COM

Check Out Our Videos on YouTube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/arplante...s?feature=mhee
Old 10-03-2009, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
What company? Wouldnt happen to be Marshall landscaping would it?
No its Piedmont Landscape Contractors, we are based in ATL, GA but i run our SC/NC operations...lots of travel in North and South Carolina...
Old 10-03-2009, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by landscapesc View Post
No its Piedmont Landscape Contractors, we are based in ATL, GA but i run our SC/NC operations...lots of travel in North and South Carolina...
Never heard of them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 10-03-2009, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
Never heard of them?
We are a large Southeast regional contractor, we were ranked 35th in the country last year, not sure about this year. Its a big company....
Old 10-03-2009, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARP View Post
Landscapesc- I sent you a PM. If something breaks, it is a pain in the butt. I mitigate that by having a bunch of common spare parts (filters, fluid, blades, teeth, etc) on hand. I also make sure my equipment is in top notch condition before I take it anywhere by doing a thorough cleaning and service before it leaves for a job. Also, I have been relatively lucky so far with my equipment (besides my truck....). Only one minor electrical problem with the Bobcat earlier this summer. Other than that, it's running very well with 545 hrs of hard work on the clock. But yes, being 2 hrs from any dealer has the potential to be a big pain in the butt.
Hopefully you received my PM as well...i know it sucks when something breaks huh???? Sounds like you travel a lot...do you stay overnight when you work in VT or is that close to home? We travel a lot and work out of town a good bit and sometimes that gets old because when your machines break down out of town its that much harder to get them fixed...i think we have about 13 or 14 Bobcats all T190's and S250's and a few MT55's and some of them have 3K hrs on them and they always need some attention...so i feel your pain
Old 10-03-2009, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I did get your PM- sent you another one back.

For projects that are over 2hrs away from home, I tend to stay overnight. The project I am on now is almost 4hrs from home so I'm enjoying a nice rainy day right now from a hotel up here.

3000 hrs? That's getting a bit high. I hope your guys take better care of your machines than large landscapers do up here. At those amount of hrs the machines up here would be breaking down daily. Tough to run an operation based on that reliability. But then again, they are Bobcats

WWW.ARPLANTE.COM

Old 10-03-2009, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARP View Post
I did get your PM- sent you another one back.

For projects that are over 2hrs away from home, I tend to stay overnight. The project I am on now is almost 4hrs from home so I'm enjoying a nice rainy day right now from a hotel up here.

3000 hrs? That's getting a bit high. I hope your guys take better care of your machines than large landscapers do up here. At those amount of hrs the machines up here would be breaking down daily. Tough to run an operation based on that reliability. But then again, they are Bobcats
Yeah we are really wanting to trade some in but we are just trying to keep the expenses down. Our guys are really good about servicing and doing PM everyday. Knock on wood but we have not had major breakdowns...we just replaced some sprockets and filters and the other normal wear and tear items. you working sundays? if you are that sucks but you got to do what you got to do!