Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-16-2009, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Permagreen magnum question

What have you guys done to prevent the open/shut off bar from bouncing around and keep closing the hopper a little? I just wonder why the company didn't put a spring at the bottom of the hopper like the lesco push spreader.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do you mean during transport? I found that lowering handlebars helps prevent this. My friend's tech put's an elastic bungee cord around the bar (short one) and wraps it before transporting.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would love a good answer to this also. I end up driving around keeping it pushed out with my thumb. There has to be a better way.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I also have to keep my thumb on it. It's a PITA.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I believe you can adjust the friction on that so it will hold itself open or closed better.

On really rough ground I just keep a thumb either on it pushing it forwards or just give it a bump once in a while to be sure it's open 100% on a long run.

For transport I use a bungee as well, a longer one, hook it to the hopper lever, over the handle and then back and down the backside of the spray tank, hooked the other end to the frame under the tank. There's really no reason for where I hook it other than the length, and it works good for me. I *had* a neat little velcro cord holder type deal I'd use, but then I'd forget to remove it and fold the handle back to pull it off the trailer. Snapped a couple of them in half, so I went with the bungee, it can survive me folding down the handle with it on there, lol.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks to Ross (spreadnspray) I think I have mine cured. Spring will tell for sure, but... check your handlebars where the 2 "tabs" attach(for lack of a better term). There are pan head screws through the tab and handlebar and this is what pivots when you let your handlebars up or down. Anyway, I replaced the screws and used loctite, and, added flatwashers on the outsides of the handlebars. The original assembly did not include the washers. It seems much more stable now. You can tighten these screws up pretty firm and still get the handlebars to go up and down while the screws stay tight. I know...poor description, but maybe I'll get some pics tomm. FWIW, of all the magnum design flaws, this is my biggest pet peeve-it won't stay shut and won't stay open?
Member Mich. Turfgrass Foundation (MTF)
Old 02-16-2009, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have pulled up to my next yard only to find the hopper empty and several bags of expensive fertilizer sitting in the floor of the trailer. Half of it blown away or fallen between the slats in floor of trailer. It took me several times of this happening to remember to bungee it closed.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by VARMIT COMMISSION View Post
I have pulled up to my next yard only to find the hopper empty and several bags of expensive fertilizer sitting in the floor of the trailer. Half of it blown away or fallen between the slats in floor of trailer. It took me several times of this happening to remember to bungee it closed.
Well that was a stupid thing to do! What were you thinking???

I've never done that before.

Yes, been there, done that. scooped up what fert I could with my hands and tossed it into the hopper.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by VARMIT COMMISSION View Post
Yeah,..atleast you had it to pick up off the trailer floor (been ther, done that). It's REALLY cool when you have it on the PG rack, and arrive to the next job to find nearly 2 bags of fert w/ Dimension or fert w/ something like Merit gone.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Leave a zip tie that just fits over hopper lever and handlebars.