Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-17-2009, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Member

To Partner or Not

Hello guys, I am about to enter my second year in the lawn care business. I am about to get laid off from my full time job so I am trying to get serious about this. I have a good friend who I worked with on a private golfcourse for about 3 years, I have known him a total of 5. He is a very hard worker and very intellegent in the turf industry. He seems to be pretty interested in partnering with me because he just lost his job as well. I do see pros and cons when it comes to this. But I feel like it would help me more than hurt me in more ways than one. Do any of you guys have a business partner? If you do, how has it worked out for you? What do you suggest I do?
Old 02-17-2009, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i do as of right now and hate it mixing freinds with buissness puts a huge strain on things and is always very stressfull. we are always seeing things differently and it just doesnt work out. i will be going solo next year as i can't take this anymore. another huge thing is you have to split the money 50/50 if you run it and hire an employee it won't cost nearly as much and then you won't mess up your freindship
Old 02-17-2009, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I personally feel that it usually doesn't work out. That's not to say that there aren't successful partnerships. It's just tough, because if it doesn't work out you almost always lose a friend. Just my thoughts.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 02-18-2009, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

IT depends, do you want to keep this guy as a Friend ?

If NOT go into Business with him.

If so, DONT
Old 02-18-2009, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Every time that I've 'gone into business with a friend/associate', I have wound up with one less friend.

If you 'were' to do this, who has the most $$$ into the partnership? You, the other guy or shared equally. If it's you, simply work out something for him to work with you. Somebody has to be in charge and make the decisions.

The other question is, 'Who approached who?'.

You have already put in a year in on your business - just keep moving forward.

Shindaiwa Model 285S Chainsaw (14" bar)
Shindaiwa Model T282 String Trimmer
Shindaiwa Model DH230-24 Hedge Trimmer
Shindaiwa Model EB802RT Backpack Blower
Honda HRC2163HXA21 Mulching Mower
Sears Edger

Backup Equipment
Echo String Trimmer
Toro EasyStart 21" Trim Mower
Snapper 42" Lawn Tractor
Old 02-18-2009, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Have him work for you, it is that simple.

If it's running, it's cutting!

And Yes, Licensed and Certified...
Old 02-18-2009, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

trust me .........don't do it . i did last year. worst mistake i have done in a long time...split and not friends by no means....keep him as a worker if needed
Old 02-19-2009, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Member

In my opinion, the keys to a successful partnership are not being equal, and picking a partner as a business decision as opposed to a "friend" decision.
One of you needs to be senior partner. Business decisions should still be made as a partnership, but when there is a difference of opinion on an issue you should have an established system for conflict resolution.
Most partnerships fail because you start out with great intentions and do not protect yourself. You think your partner and you will mesh great and never have conflict. Not so. My brother and I are partners and have a 11 page partnership agreement that spells out every aspect of our business. We have never had problems due to this contract. We have had conflict, but never anything detrimental to our business.
Partnerships have pros and cons. When you are solo, all your cash is yours after expenses. When you are partners, you have to share. But, if you ever throw a second truck on the road, or have two jobs at once, you partner with a vested interest in a successful business will do a better job with out you being there than an employee making 15 an hour.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have two other partners, one equal and one with a bit less of the pie. I will admit the three of us have equally contributed to the growth and direction of the company in the last 15 years but not without heartache. I constantly hear from friends of mine in the biz venting (wishing) they had a partner-as they seem to be split between wearing so many different hats including doing the work.

All 3 of us dont agree on everything, but having 3 minds and perspectives at times sure helps in making the right decisions. Its a tough racket regardless if you have partners or not, in my case, we have 3 sets of eyes and ears with a vested interest in the company and it works. It all depends on what each partner can bring to the table and what their roles and strenths would be.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not is the over all message, in case no one else noticed the trend.