Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-18-2009, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Where does everyone dump?

Im doing some research, where does everyone get rid of their "green waste"? i.e. grass clippings, branches, leaves, ect.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

They might charge a fee but you might check with some mulch yards.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Oh,...THAT kind of "dump". i was just gong to say, I like going at home as much as I can...Don't like strange places
As far as dumping my debris? Same thing. I am blessed to have a large property and keep and maintain a large brush pile (right now, it is about 50 ft. across...I have GOT to get it burned.
Sometimes, I will let other lco's (friends) come and dump stuff if they're in the neighborhood, and it saves them a trip. I burn once or twice a year, but I haven't burned in a few years, now. Once this snow melts off this pile, I am going to torch it. I was just looking at it the other day. Here, we now get 1 permit that lasts the whole year...regardless of how many times we burn...It works out better that way. I just have to stay on top of it now, though..lol

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The one dump near me hasn't ever charged me for anything green. You can pick up some O.K. mulch or killer compost free.

60'' Gravely pro-turn 29 hp
60" Exmark lazar 23 hp
48" Snapper pro walk behind 14 hp kawasaki
21" Lawn boy
echo blower trimmers etc.
2005 Ford ranger v 6 4x4
Go O's
Go Raven's
Old 02-18-2009, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

We try not to bag any grass. That's impossible to get rid of. Don't know anyplace that accepts commercial grass (i.e. from an LCO). If I do have to bag the clippings it gets tossed in my yard. I mix it with shredded leaves in the fall and the occasional load of fill dirt...walla my own compost. Pretty good stuff I might add.

Sticks, limbs, brush, etc. can get taken to a few recycle places in the area (no grass!!) for a fee. The make mulch out of it. The cost itself is minimal its the cost of the labor, wear/tear, and fuel that adds up. Most of our customers have a place on site (wooded area, compost pile, etc.) where we can place these items. Some of the towns we work in also accept leaves/sticks curbside during certain times of the year.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I used the same co I get my fert and mulch and anything else I need, they charge me, if I remember correctly its about 4 bucks a yard, of anything, sticks, grass, dead plants you name, they are great, yeh its a hassle paying ofr dumping but where I am at their is not alot of place.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Around here we take it to our countys public works lot, they have big roll-off dumpsters and as long as you dont make a mess, you can throw it all in their dumpsters for free! I took 8-10 loads of leaves this past fall. It takes a while to get it all into the dumpsters but its free. You all should check with your countys public works dept. They never charge a fee to get rid of this stuff.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Most of my customers have large properties that they want me to dump the debris on, as it saves them from paying a dump fee. There are a couple transfer stations around here that charge around $85 a ton (one acre typically produces between 6-11 tons a year, to put it into perspective). I am going to try to contact local farmers this year, as they all have a ton of property. I'm sure I could give them $20 a load or so. I'm looking for anything that will be cheaper than $85 a ton. I still cannot comprehend how they get $85 a ton for stuff that decomposes within a few months, what a business.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a green waste dump that charges $8 to $15 per load. You can also get free mulch there.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are near any farms, check with the farmers. They will normally let you dump (grass and leaves) for free in there fields. That is what we do, and several other LCO around us.