Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-26-2009, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Member

try to find a places that do compost or with a grinder . you would be surprised to se how much organics make it into a garbage dump. That space is for trash and the sooner they fill it they move on to the next place. Not much better than leaving trash on the side of the road.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffs View Post
try to find a places that do compost or with a grinder . you would be surprised to se how much organics make it into a garbage dump. That space is for trash and the sooner they fill it they move on to the next place. Not much better than leaving trash on the side of the road.
Thats actualy why I asked the question. Ive been kicking around some potential business Ideas. I've got a few Ideas to try and hopefully make it easier for contractors in the area to get ride of their green waste and hopefully try to decrease the amout ending up in the dumps.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Member

there are many uses for this waste. green waste combinde with dried shreded leaves can be used as compost or sold as 'leaf grow' leaf mulch as shown to pull heavy metals from soil maily lead .there is a huge indistry for compost. As far as the wood makes bad mulch it can actuly leach the soil. but can be sold for wood pellets. there are cretain zoning and containment steps you may have to abide buy. Some times since you have debries from unknown origins they may test your ground for run off and they should. somtimes a sideefect is high lead levels in the soil.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Member

one things for sure you will need a loader
Old 02-26-2009, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Member

There are a few facilities in the area that do composting and accept the waste as an alternative to just throwing out. However, there are still alot of people who do not utalize them. Any Ideas on how to get people to better utalize the existing facilities?
Old 02-26-2009, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Member

you could start a waste service. get a hook hoist truck and several dumpsters the rollof type find a nich.make it convenant and be reliable. Sell your service as a responsible method of disposal. it would de like crab fiching you drop the dumpster let them fill it and take it for them charge buy the load or buy the time it sits. My experiance is that ppl are eather lazy, dont have the time ,or dont know you are going to have to do it for them
Old 02-26-2009, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Thats what I was thinking. small to medium sized dumpsters off a hooklift truck. Another idea Ive been kicking around is dump trailers with higher side boards, drop them at their shop in the morning, let them drive it around all day prop to prop. then pick it up from their shop at night.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I dump on my 300 acre farm any organic stuff i have then mix with my brothers cow manure and spread on fields the following year
Old 02-26-2009, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Member

the less they have to do the better dropping the dumpster can be deliverd befor there on the job. they might need there hitch. Plus at that point all you have done is rent them a trailer witch needs a tag, the dumpster dosnot. in the mean time wile your dumpsters sitt you can get a vack and pick up leavs grass clippings curbside with a dump bed.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Image TLM View Post
city near me but where I actually do most of my work has a dump for grass, leaves, tree limbs, etc. They charge $10 per yard but usually charge less than you have. They make mulch and compost out of it also, but I don't know what they do with it.
Just noticed that you are from St. Charles. Im in Ofallon Im sure we have passed, us guys gotta stick together, the way I look at it there is enough grass for everybody. And if you ever need to dump brick ( I thought i saw one of your patios on here) or any rock or stuff like that give me a call. My shop is in Foristell, about 20 miles up 70 but the dump is free. I am currently trying to fill in some areas that I am expanding for an addition to the shop in the future. Either way Im sure I will see you around.Give a wave. Thanks Tim