Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qualitylandscaping View Post
Yep. The backhoe story is true. I actually got a call from the guy, who had posted that ad on Craigslist. Asked if I would be interested in splitting payments and use of his machine 50/50. Now why would I do that? I could just let him keep his mistake, go out of business, and buy the thing outright for the 50% I would have given him to share it!

People dont think.....
He was thinking ..... on how he could still keep useing it if someone was lame enough to buy into it !!!
Old 02-19-2009, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Awesome post and some really great responses. I would love to see more threads like this. Never mind, What mower should I buy?

Dave...
Old 02-19-2009, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have said this over and over here on lawnsite and get laughed at everytime, but here goes.

RUN YOUR BUSINESS DEBT FREE
Old 02-19-2009, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Just a little backround how this went down.

I do make it sound like my "crash" was worse than it was. It was bad. But I am still here today.

3 years ago is when money started getting tight. What I did was send a supervisor out to follow each crew through their route and time every job.

Once that was done we had time data on how long it took to do each job and the drive time.

That is when I realized that the average profit off of a $30 lawn was about $3 if everything went right.

That was gross profit. Meaning profit after just the direct costs to do the job, not including overhead.

So obviously if you looked at that, you can see once I figured in my enormous overhead, I was dead.

It was hard because my houses were so close. i had the perfect route.

Once I calculated the numbers, I would have almost had to double prices in order to cover the expenses, and have a reasonable profit.

We know in this business, that wouldnt be possible.

So the decision was made to sell the lawn routes. I sold most of them that year. Unlike what most people say on here, I got very good money for them, a fair price, and there were no contracts.

That left me with one route left that was about 200 homes that were all in one subdivison. This particular route was profitable. One 2 person crew could spend the whole week in there and it made some nice money at the end of the week. A tank of gas for the truck lasted a month practically, thats how close these houses were.

So now I had sold most of the routes but still had the overhead that I had, and most of it I was stuck with including debt payments. So I wouldnt be able to make it on one route alone.

At the same time as mowing I had a few years ago added sealcoating to my list of services and that had done well. More and more I started expanding into commercial work and started realizing that was the direction I wanted to go.

I like commercial customers better, I like the limited competition, I like that other things are looked at besides price. I also like that the margins are better.

So I focused all of my effort on that business and got it really going. I started going full steam after large commercial work and got real busy.

At the end of the next season 2 years ago I sold off the last mowing route, and Im still collecting a check monthly for that.

Now Im totally out of mowing and full time into the other work.

I never got as bad as having trucks repossessed or buildings foreclosed. But it did get bad enough that collections calls outnumbered customer calls.

Overall, as sick as it is to say, I think its the best thing that ever happened to me. Im in this newer business now with the knowledge fresh of the dangers that are hidden below the surface.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
I have said this over and over here on lawnsite and get laughed at everytime, but here goes.

RUN YOUR BUSINESS DEBT FREE
And that right there is the answer.

Thats how I do it now. No credit for anything.

If I need a machine I wait till I have the money to buy or I rent it. Everything is paid in cash.

If I cant write a check for it I dont buy it.

If you have no debt, you are much less worried if the work slows down. Then you just make less money, instead of going further in the hole.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

this is a great thread. hopefully this thread will prevent others from making those mistakes and going under
61'' Scag V-Ride 29 HP Kawi
48" Exmark Lazer Z HP
48'' Bobcat Ransome Mower
21'' Husqvarna Mower
Stihl FS55R Weedwacker
Stihl FS100RX Weedwacker
Stihl BR600 Backpack Blower
Stihl MS180C Chainsaw
Giant Vac Walk Behind Blower
Kawasaki KHT600S Hedge Trimmer
Giant Vac 16HP Leaf Loader
Old 02-19-2009, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROCUT1 View Post
And that right there is the answer.

Thats how I do it now. No credit for anything.

If I need a machine I wait till I have the money to buy or I rent it. Everything is paid in cash.

If I cant write a check for it I dont buy it.

If you have no debt, you are much less worried if the work slows down. Then you just make less money, instead of going further in the hole.
Thanks PROCUT.

The other day I saw 2 BRAND NEW Duelly trucks parked side by side with the same lettering. They were there over 3 hours. So im sure they made no monwy that day. Both had new trilers with new equiptment, I just wonder how in the world someone could pay for those, the rigs would have to cost over 100k each. Im glad its not me.

I dont understand that nonsense at all, my 6000$ tuck will leave just as good lawn stripes as your 60000$ truck will, and customers know it.

As far as all the renting goes, if you use something even occaosinally BUY IT. You can buy a good useable skid steer for 12K, why rent and spent 5k for a year.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

wow, 14 awesome super informative pages and counting
6ft Aluminum Truck Craft Dump Insert
20x8 Atlas Enclosed Trailer
14x 6.5 Tandem Open Landscaping Trailer
1 2011 Walker 23/48
1 36" Scag Belt Drive Fixed Deck walkbehind
2 21" Toro Super Recylers
1 Blue Bird Lawn Dethatcher
1 Classen 30" core aerator
1 Sthil FS 90R (love the 4-mix)
1 Sthil KM 90R with trimmer, edger, poll pruner and tiller
1 Stihl HS 45
1 Stihl BR429
1 Sthil BG 55 D

Old 02-19-2009, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ive got a question. How did your overhead get so high? Could you explain?

Dave...
Old 02-19-2009, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROCUT1 View Post
And everyone that knows you thinks youre rich. Including the employees.
Hey before I pass judgment I might have to read the whole thing, I think this is probably some good stuff.
LOL

Peace

Last edited by topsites; 02-19-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Closed Thread