Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-21-2009, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well, that line of thinking of stocks being at an all time low is exactly what I
was thinking a month ago, and just now they dropped even worse

So...
Maybe they're as low as they'll go, maybe they take another nosedive.

Because...
They're not actually at an all-time low, they went lower back in October, I lost 10% in a week but this is just a minor dip in comparison.

Really the only way I see out of that is long-term, 10, 15, 20 year investments, but at least 5 and there's no guarantees.

Last edited by topsites; 02-21-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosparkplugs View Post

Whats your source on that? cause Cat has sued the shat out of Navistar
http://www.whayne.com/PowerSystems/P...dNavistar.aspx

It's amazing how fast people change their tunes.

I also have a relative that works in the Corporate office in Peoria. I get some inside scoops of who coming and going. It all public news though too.

They started plans on a new production facility in IL, and they're still going ahead with the plans even in the market down-turn.

I though after the economic downfall, that division was dead in the water, but, I guess not.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.

Last edited by White Gardens; 02-21-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
http://www.whayne.com/PowerSystems/P...dNavistar.aspx

It's amazing how fast people change their tunes.

I also have a relative that works in the Corporate office in Peoria. I get some inside scoops of who coming and going. It all public news though too.

They started plans on a new production facility in IL, and they're still going ahead with the plans even in the market down-turn.

I though after the economic downfall, that division was dead in the water, but, I guess not.
A (MOU) "Memorandum of Understanding" just makes it known officially that two companies are exploring a project together. No ground has been broken for a production facility. Caterpillar did the same with Perkins, and if this deal goes through, Cat will simply paint the Navistar engine Cat yellow Caterpillar will survive buy gobbling up it's weak competition, without investing the billions in R&D for a new onroad diesel.

if you look at Detroit Diesel they have invested billions in it's new 2010 diesels. Cat could not afford that, but has capital to purchase whole companies or pay them to manufacture their on-road diesel engines.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Google will have the highest stock and rule the world soon! Blizzard too.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitneysegura View Post
Google will have the highest stock and rule the world soon! Blizzard too.
Crap!!! I thought that Lawnsite was going to consume the world. Imagine, a world ruled by men with green hands I Think that Catepiller will wait out the EPA regualtions. The new regs seem to be using more fuel (wasted) and costing business a LOT more money. Just like smog pumps, the diesel particle filters may go by the way side. Then Cat jumps back in produceing great engines, with a stronger company backbone. They will have more money in their pockets, as they didnt waste time and money on R&D only to never get payed back. Like I once told my girlfriend...I could be right

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
Tentatively speaking, kinda... I think... And maybe, thou I sure hope so, sure would be nice.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Invest in the company that makes the newer vented gas cans. Its a mandated thing and they will have to sell.

With regard to Cat, its true they won't hire back all those workers but in any organization there are duplicate efforts. In short, a co is usually worth more after it lays off. I don't know about Cat but my guess is that they are in the lead as it comes back around. I also think people with money and can wait will jump on Cat in a couple months.

I'm thinking anything that saves energy and so on is a good play. So companies that make a trimmr that conserves gas might be inline for some subsidy. Not sure but small engine companies that make enviro friendly engines will likely be ahead in all this.

As a side note, ancillary things such as people making things for dot compliance will likely see a boost. Not that I like investing in chock blocks, but a company that makes decent and easy to use tie downs for instance might be a decent idea. I think the DOT will make some opportunity on a local level this year. Start a quick class on DOT compliance with hands on about tie downs and so on. A lot of newbies have no idea where to begin---they are willing to work but need help getting started.

I think 2009 is a year to save money so I'm guessing there won't be a ton of new equip sold. I think the most bang for the buck would be the used equip area as more people will give up this year than before. True, many displaced workers will be buying Home Depot mowers, but if I had money and a hook into some decent commercial equipment, I'd snap it up and try advertising to all the new displaced guys. They have no jobs and a good deal will pull them in. If I had some help I might consider setting up an equipment recycling deal. In short, lawnsite guys get rid of stuff and a little mechanical know how and a cheap store front might make you the local used equip store. Also, if you have any ability, a small repair place is a way to go. People with no jobs don't want to pay $150/hr to get a spark plug installed.

Companies that work on remediation of wetlands, or any of those areas are a decent idea too. The gov will push a lot of this so people making erosion control supplies are likely to benefit.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What about Ford and their DuraTorq diesel that has 10 years of R&D over in Europe by actual consumers. Rumor has it they are going to be using the 4.4L diesel in their f-150's and 250's as an option, as well as put a new engine in their 350's.

3+ years going strong.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya, Google & um...WalMart.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

invest in john deere, gold and silver!!

05 dodge ram 3500 stacked
12' open trailer
20' dump trailer
12' enclosed trailer
Sthil trimmers,blowers,chain saws,pole saws
01/06 honda atv w/ plow and spray tank
Deere Z840A
48" scag Pro-V w/ bagger
09 Deere 328 Loader
2 o4 2500HD ext cab's
01 chevy 1500
Billy Goat truck loader
1500 gal tank w/ 2.5" fire line and garden hose's
Iron Oak log splitter
www.pfd-llc.com
http://www.queensboro.com/ref/EOSRRCOEBMN where we get our uniforms.