Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-21-2009, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Member

New purchase I need advice!

Buying my first chainsaw. Just bought a wood burning stove and have 80+ acres to cut wood so why not. Chainsaw's. I know enough to fill a thimble. Where I am at now. Two local dealers. Both I trust equally. My budget is $300.00. Husqvarna 445E or Echo CS400. I am using it for firewood only. Cant seem to pull trigger on either one so any advice as always is appreciated. Might add. I have always bought echo blowers, trimmers and the like with complete satisfaction. Chainsaws are out of my area of any experience. Yes there is a local Stihl dealer but I have no experience with them. Stihl is NOT out of the question.

Last edited by luv2mow; 02-21-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2mow View Post
Buying my first chainsaw. Just bought a wood burning stove and have 80+ acres to cut wood so why not. Chainsaw's. I know enough to fill a thimble. Where I am at now. Two local dealers. Both I trust equally. My budget is $300.00. Husqvarna 445E or Echo CS400. I am using it for firewood only. Cant seem to pull trigger on either one so any advice as always is appreciated. Might add. I have always bought echo blowers, trimmers and the like with complete satisfaction. Chainsaws are out of my area of any experience. Yes there is a local Stihl dealer but I have no experience with them. Stihl is NOT out of the question.
I prefer Huskys and Jonsereds chainsaws, myself.
And I've got an old McColloch ProMac 610 that's 25 years old now, that refuses to die!

1st and foremost, buy from the dealer who you instinctively feel is going to give you the best service down the road, when you might need it.

And look for dealers with a longer history of business..
Too many folks buy 2 cycle equipment (or whatever) and shake hands with their salesman, only to call back for parts a year or two later, and hear a disconnect tone!
Old 02-22-2009, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I'VE used a stilh for 5 yrs, the only thing other than sharpening the
chains i have had to do to it was clean the muffler screen and change
the filter. Just bought a echo ms400 and really like it though it seems
a little cold natured, hopefully after a few tanks of fuel it will improve!!
Does your local shop sharpen chains? I buy 2 or three chains for each
saw. Bought the echo because ive ran there trimmers and blowers
for yrs,. so i thought i would try there saws!!
Old 02-22-2009, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I got all Stihl saws. 300 bucks, you can probably get around a MS250 or a MS310 which is a little over 300 If I remember. But the 250 will be in your budget range, also you can buy you a spare chain to go with it. The 250 has a good power to weight ratio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningside View Post
I bought a wb from 4.3 Mudder and it was a great deal. he was honest and it was easy.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I originally bought a Homelite, not knowing any better and at the time could not afford anything else. Piece of junk but it did help me out for a few years. I wore it out and got a Stihl 026, 046 numbers run together, it'sout in the shed and don't need to go ou there. I haf had it a little over 20 years now and it's still going strong. Only had homeowner use, cut down a few trees and cut up a bunch plus some heavy pruning.

WHatever you get do not get that companies lightest grade, nor from the sound of things the best grade. Go with the mid grade and you will probably ind the best value.

Do get several chains and keep them sharp. Also keep them out of the dirt, that wil dull them faster than anything. ALso well lubricated. The last couple of years I have been using Stihl's full synthetic engine oil in all my two cycle equipment and it seems to start and run better. Also using higher octane gas.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Echo

Echo. Good solid equipment, and everybody can work on them. So, if there is a falling out or your dealer does out of business, you'll be safe. Husqvarna in my opinion, at least there newer stuff, is not made well... too light, too much plastic. Look also for Dolmar in your area. If you haven't heard of them it's ok, they are the best of the best and don't advertise much.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Member

luv2mow

I have a small Sears one that I got about 6 years ago. The only thing I have done to it is change the spark plug about two years to make it start easier. It could use a new chain as well but I don't use it enough to make it an issue. Seems like the only time I use it is after a storm goes through.

What ever you wind up getting if it's your first time using a chainsaw be VERY careful !! You can make a major life changes in less than the blink of an eye !!
Cutting your own wood sounds like a money saver, cutting your own......................... OUCH !!!!!!!!!!!

JM.02¢
Old 02-24-2009, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Honestly I own several pieces of stihl equipment. I have had saws from Johnnyred, as well as stihl and this year bought myself a dolmar. I got to tell you for the bang for the buck, Dolmar all the way. The tough part of the dolamr is finding a dealer, they have proprietary territory. I have had fantastic luck with my stihls but this dolmar is amazing. I bought the 7900 for felling, I have a 24" bar on her and she turns it like no bodies business.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor
Old 02-24-2009, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the great help guys. Good thing I didnt get husqvarna. Dealer is closing his doors in @ two weeks. I looked at Stihl. Good dealer. Where I have my John Deere tractor serviced. Like the MS250 and MS290. 250 is cheaper and what dealer thought would be my best bet. I really like the feel of the Echo best. Feels like it was made for me. Very comfortable in my hand. Checked on Dolmar. There is a dealer 26 miles away. Not to bad i guess. So. I guess I am just as confused as I was. I am always this way before I buy something. Maybe I look to hard. Is Dolmar worth the extra drive? Final decision will be Echo CS400, Dolmar PS-510 or Stihl MS250. All priced together. Only thing with Dolmar. No dealer experience. This is fun but I am beating myself up!
Old 02-28-2009, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Member

one word....STIHL!
'05 chevy 2500 pu
'06 chevy w4500
'07 chevy w4500
'08 ford f-450 dump
'08 ford f-450 dump
'08 ford f-250 pu
'08 chevy avalanche
'09 chevy 3500
'97 & '10 new holland skid steers