Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-21-2009, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

How to unload a non dumping trailer?

I need an easy way to unload branches and brush at the dump. I have heard of people using a chain or rope and hooking it to a loader, but I'm not exactly sure what to do. Does anybody have pictures of the system they use, and is it pretty efficient?
Old 02-21-2009, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I always put a tarp on the floor and use it to unload. If I have a huge load, I will layer the tarps to make it easier.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Put the biggest branches on the bottom, tie them to something fairly stable at the dump, and drive out from underneath. The whole pile (or most of it) should slide off.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't have a trailer but on my truck if I have a large load of branches I put a 1/2 rope in the middle of the deck from side to side leave enough rope on the one side so you can choke the pile after its loaded. Once you get to a place where you are going to pull off the load find a tree to tie too. Oh ya make sure you tie a knot on the tree end that will be easy to get un done as the rope will have tension on it with the pile laying on the ground. After you un-choke the pile tie the one end of the rope to the trailer and drive ahead pull the rope out.

I have used tarps but they are biatch to get out from under the pile you end up ripping the tarp. I used the rope method on heavy fir branches they weigh 20-30lbs alone works great using the rope. Make sure you have a long enough rope to reach a tree. Also make sure the rope it tight no slack bettween the pile on the truck/trailer and the tree your tied too so your brush pile ends up where you want it too.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

back up really fast and slam on the brakes.

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 02-21-2009, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNSLighting View Post
back up really fast and slam on the brakes.
That only works if your hauling old wood debris and you have a pipe as a roller under the load.

Brush is horrible even if your truck or trailer dumps it sticks in the box and your pulling on it to let it break free.

I used to drive tandem axle rolloff with 40 yard boxes stuff would stick so you have the box tilted up and your backing up slam on the brakes trying to get the load to shift.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It was a joke...hence the laugh at the end of it...

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 02-21-2009, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Ya I know it was a joke but some people may try it not a good idea with a trailer when it can jackknife quicker than you can blink and you will have a nice bent hitch

Even dump trailers don't dump a load very well I watched a guy with a dump trailer and a full load of old duriods the box tilted up as high as it would go it still wouldn't slide out. This wasn't a deck over wheels dump.

I still remember watching one of the disposal contractors with a 1.5 ton dump he was having troubles so he was backing up and jamming on the brakes. Well the 3rd try I guess he pushed a little too hard and blew a brake line
Old 02-21-2009, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks GR yeah the guy in the Hitachi 250 wheel loader was like do you have a chain or rope I can hook up to? I was like no I don't. I think I'll try you idea as that sounds simple enough. Tarps make sense too but like you said how do you get them out from under the unloaded load.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you can have a loader at the landfill to hook to, here is what we do. Get 2 pallets (preferably heavy). and a good chain or tow strap. Place the first pallet all the way to the front of the trailer. Now secure the chain/strap to the pallet. Now run the chain/strap down the middle of the second pallet and place it int he middle of the trailer and than lay the chain/strap down the middle of the trailer to the gate (making sure you leave all the slack at the back of the trailer.
Load the trailer. When you get to the dump have the loader hook to the chain/strap lift slightly and drag everything off. Works great. We have done this for over a year now and will never hand unload again. When we go dump the load we have on the trailer I'll try to video it so you can see. Also ,I'll take some pics of an empty trailer so you can see our setup. We had an ice storm a couple weeks back and I have taken more than 15 loads to the dump and we are never there more than 5 min with this system. And the most we have drug off was almost 2800lbs

Hope this helps.

James