Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-23-2009, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Leasing A truck for Plowing or Lawncare

Does anyone lease there trucks to plow snow and pull trailers with. I am a solo operation and want to start off with a new truck for plowing. I cant see having one truck that is not reliable. The truck will be parked except when being used. Does leasing programs even exist for commercial trucks.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I know in my state I couldn't lease my truck. You may be able to lease a half ton but I dont think anything above that they lease. They have programs for fleets, but obiously you arent a fleet. Even if you could lease, I wouldnt. May payments on something you own. At the end of the lease what do you have? - nothing. Plus, damage to your truck is inevitable. Bumps and bruises will cost you a ton of money when you go to turn it in. You are better off buying a late model used or new truck. You will never regret having a dependable truck that you own.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes you can lease a truck to plow or pull a trailer.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Just food for thought: you'd be spending a small fortune on a lease. That's THE MOST EXPENSIVE way to pay for a vehicle... plus, when it's over, you don't even HAVE the truck you spent all that $$$ on.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

One of the biggest companys in our area leases there trucks. The lease about 15 F250's and about 7 F550's...

Nick
Old 02-23-2009, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if you talk to your dealer they have all kind of options for leasing such as paying only when your making money I.e april thru november or a lease with dollar buy out where you are leasing the truck but at the end you only pay a dollar to keep the truck. these are expensive options but when the times are slow december thru march you aren't paying anything or if you want to keep the truck it will only cost you a dollar at the end of the lease. Just be sure to talk to your commercial sales man/woman they will help you. I know for a fact ford does this that is how i got my 08 F-550. Good luck
Old 02-23-2009, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I refer you to this thread if you think that because a company is big they must know what they're doing:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=262189
Old 02-23-2009, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopassonthebluegrass View Post
I refer you to this thread if you think that because a company is big they must know what they're doing:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=262189
I'm actually pretty good friends with him, his wife has a great paying job so he spends everything he makes on his company.

He's a pretty smart guy but when i was at his shop one day i saw two trailers 6x12 dual axle trailers with dump inserts on them. They had high sides for leaves, and a leaf loader on them. I asked him why he did that and he said it was cheaper... I dont think so though...

-6x12 trailer = $1800 or so
-dump insert = $3000 or so
-leaf loader (they were 18hp) = $3200 or so
That equals about $8000

He should of bought a dump trailer and a loader because he could of hulled more and saved money...

- dump trailer 6x12 = $5500
- leaf loader = $3200
Total = $8700

For about $700 more he could of saved money on gas and time... Thats the only thing i didn't understand while i was at his shop...

Nick
Old 02-23-2009, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have considered both options finance out right at 5% and i get to depreciate it over 3 yrs and still pay 2yrs with no right off or pay 3% and write it off every year for five years and keep my income to debt ratio down so when it come time for me to get a line of credit for the hard times or waiting to be paid I'll be able to get it.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick's Lawn Care View Post
I'm actually pretty good friends with him, his wife has a great paying job so he spends everything he makes on his company.

For about $700 more he could of saved money on gas and time... Thats the only thing i didn't understand while i was at his shop...
To each their own, but if he can't handle THAT math, who's to say he gets the #'s behind leasing? And with his wife supporting his "habit", who's to say how successful he would otherwise be?

Not being argumentative... just doesn't make any sense in my own little head to pay for a vehicle you don't even get to keep or sell off when you're done...