Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-23-2009, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Property management co. Has there own contract and terms?

This is a new one for me......

I just received a request form a large property management company that manages comm'l, hospitality, and multi-unit residential properties to give bids on '09-'10 winter maintenance and 2010 summer maintenance. The thing that concerns me is when they sent me their property rooster, along with it was there own contract and terms.

I have dealt with management companies before but this is the first time I had a prospective customer lay down the ground rules. My initial reaction is that this management company doesn't "fit" the type of client we wish to have a working relationship with, but the optimistic side of me hates to turn my back and possible leave revenue on the table, as I'm sure many of you have been put in a situation similar to this.

I have never before agreed to anyone else's contract/terms and don't think I should start now. Anyone who has dealt with this type of situation, your opinion is greatly appreciated, for those of you who want to throw your .02 in, your more then welcome to as well.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-23-2009, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Member

mil,
i work for a property management company, we deal mainly with condos, apartments, and have some houses. We will do this when we are in the process of getting bids...It is more of a general list of things that we expect to be done and then the contractor adds or removes certain items, adds in dates or submits their own proposal based on the terms we set before them. Im not sure what you got, but we use it more as a guide so that when we do receive bids we can compare them equally.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&G Maintenace View Post
mil,
i work for a property management company, we deal mainly with condos, apartments, and have some houses. We will do this when we are in the process of getting bids...It is more of a general list of things that we expect to be done and then the contractor adds or removes certain items, adds in dates or submits their own proposal based on the terms we set before them. Im not sure what you got, but we use it more as a guide so that when we do receive bids we can compare them equally.
Thanks G&G, that makes since. I've never before been approached like this dealing with other management co. in the past so it caught me a little off guard.

I learn something new here every time I log-on!
Old 02-23-2009, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Member

no problem...we deal with a few landscape companies depending on where in the state the properties are, and if they do a good job we stick with them and they will defintely get more work from us. We also are MUCH more likely to use them at other properties if they are looking for more work. I would say try it out and best of luck to you.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

All the property management co that I deal with have a set a specs. I love getting specs to bid from for a couple of reasons.

1. Everyone is bidding apples to apples

2. Most of the time the specs require less work than we normally bid.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A lot of the national companies require using their own contracts. This eliminates the need for their legal guys to look over the contracts.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
A lot of the national companies require using their own contracts. This eliminates the need for their legal guys to look over the contracts.
This contract had all that legal wording that doesn't make any since when you read it.....LOL
Old 02-24-2009, 03:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Who's your daddy?
Old 02-24-2009, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
Who's your daddy?
Exactly....we never had to play by anyone else's rules, but if they are using this as a base line guide and I'm able to make changes to the terms then I'd be more inclined to take on a customer like this.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i am currently working on a bid where the company set the ground rules and actually the bidsheet is just a fill in the blank for the prices. I think they do this stuff so that everyone bids on the same exact thing and they dont have to choose between this guy is higher but looks like he will do better work if that makes any sense at all..

New eXmark lazer Z 31/60
Honda 21" that i never ever use
Stihl trimmers, blowers, etc.
23 years old, 6 years in business
Liscenced and Insured