Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-24-2009, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We have a large property management company located here that manages properties in various locations in other states and they have their own bid specs or contract requirements. At first I had the same reaction that you did. I wasn't interested. It was to specific and more like a job description. Then I realized that this is a document that they use at all their locations for obtaining like bids. They also request bids every year after submiting the bid they never get back to me on the results. After chasing them down, I find out I was underbid. I don't like it but I end of bidding every time they call me anyway.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's really not that big of a deal. Just read through it, and if it is good for you, sign it.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Member

I just received a packet of information today for an apartment complex. I had a headache by the time i finished reading it all through. they put as much detail into it as they possibly could. its interesting how different commercial bizs operate. most are like "give me a bid for some grass cuttin" and others are like "here is our contractor agreement BOOK, and make sure you sign all 50 lines"
Old 02-26-2009, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by milsaps118 View Post
Exactly....we never had to play by anyone else's rules, but if they are using this as a base line guide and I'm able to make changes to the terms then I'd be more inclined to take on a customer like this.
What is it that you dont like? If there is no deal breaker its no big deal. Some companies just like everything to be the same. I did a estimate once that required a spring and fall leaf cleanup. Obviously a company from the north because the only trees on the property were palm trees so there would be no leaves to cleanup.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Member

its not that i dont like it. it just could be so much more simpler, not as detailed. but...it does help them cause everyone's bids will be for the same services. its got its positives and negatives
Old 02-26-2009, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by milsaps118 View Post
The thing that concerns me is when they sent me their property rooster, along with it was there own contract and terms.

What the heck is a property rooster? If the ol boy crows 3 times before dawn, do you get the contract
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 02-26-2009, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Some of the above posts make no sense (yes, sense, not since). "I don't live by somebody else's rules, ..." or words to that effect have been repeated a few times.

What can be so different between your T&Cs and the T&Cs on their sheet of paper? From the comments made, it sounds like the two sets are entirely different.

If I was the property owner, I would do the same thing. Then all contracts are the same, or nearly the same. Asking for contractors would put everybody on the same footing. Nobody has an advantage over somebody else, unless they rewrote the contract making it more favorable to themselves.

The process is called contract negotiation. If you slide your document across the table, and the property manger chooses to rewrite your T&Cs, then a negotiation is underway. The differences need to be resolved. If the differences are not to be reconciled, then no deal, and both parties walk away. If the differences are reconciled, fine, a deal is reached, and presumably both parties are satisfied because they've signed.

I am involved in a transaction (not related to the green industry) that begun in early December. Since that time, we have pushed documents back and forth so many times, I've lost count. At one point, I walked away. But, after that point, we both took 50 steps back, and constructed a deal in a much different way. After more negotiations, we finally have reached a deal, and have documents with signatures. I am not suggesting using three months to negotiate a contract for lawn services, but the point is clear: a signed contract is one that both parties agree to T&Cs, regardless of who initiated the process, and regardless of the path taken to reach agreement.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
What the heck is a property rooster? If the ol boy crows 3 times before dawn, do you get the contract
HAHHAHA

I have one of mine crowing outside the office door right now, kinda makes that more funny.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Most of the commercials properties I have use their own contracts. Cuts down on legal fees and the like. I don't mind as long as we're both on the same page.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why does anyone care whether or not Commercials use there own contracts? It levels the playing field for bids. Everyone is bidding apples to apples.

I just signed a commercial contract that says I only have to edge the hardscapes bi-weekly and the beds monthly. We ususally edge everything weekly, so that's alot less work that has to be done. It also says that mowing in the winter months is "as needed" , that means that it is my call to mow or not, again less work.