Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-23-2009, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

BOP the least expensive walk-behind?

I feel a lot of pressure right now b/c I know eventually I'll need a larger, higher grade mower, but I don't know if I want to get on right now. I'd like to wait and see how many new customers I get this year. Better Outdoor Power has a great pre-season sale going on right now but still I don't want to rush into anything. Are they the least expensive commercial walk-behind out there?
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower
Toro & Ariens snowblowers

"I mow alone, with nobody else. Yes you know when I mow alone, I prefer to be by myself." Matt Thorogood

"All those in the memorial tombs will come out" -John 5:28

"The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them"- Revelation 20:13
Old 02-24-2009, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

That's way too broad a question. Least expensive? Well, are you needing a belt drive, a single hydro, or a dual hydro machine? Are you needing a fixed deck or a floating deck? How big of a deck are you wanting?

Only after those types of questions are answered can your original query be responded to.

B.O.P. makes a very budget-conscious mower, yes. But that doesn't make them "cheapest" or even what you need. I own one and am relatively pleased with it so far... but we need to understand YOUR needs before we just shoot into the dark.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

sorry about that. 36 inch mower, hydro or belt, fixed deck is fine. I've got about $2500 dollars to spend.
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower

"I mow alone, with nobody else. Yes you know when I mow alone, I prefer to be by myself." Matt Thorogood

"The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them"- Revelation 20:13
Old 02-24-2009, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
sorry about that. 36 inch mower, hydro or belt, fixed deck is fine. I've got about $2500 dollars to spend.
36" mowers are available by nearly every manufacturer. But very few of them are hydros.

Having come from belt drives for years, to purchasing my first hydro when I bought my BOP Dually, I would STRONGLY encourage you to go with a hydro if at all possible.

I can't personally speak for the single hydro Quicks, but I have found my Dually to be solid, simple and dependable in the few months I operated it before winter came.

And I doubt you are going to find a decent mower in your price range elsewhere unless you're willing to buy used.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Check to see if you have any Lesco stores around you. If so, pay them a visit because they are trying to get rid of their inventory. I was picking up some pre-m today and looked at the 36 hydro unit. It was on sale for 2,600.00 and a sulky is an additional 200.00
Husqvarna 323L Trimmer (Awesome Trimmer)
Echo-SRM230 Trimmer
Echo-PE265 Edger
Echo-PB251 Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
5x10 Open Trailer
Old 02-24-2009, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If i were you I'd look for a used quick. Probably pick a solid machine up for a little more than a thousand. I know there have been several for sale in the For sale section. That's just me. Parts are cheap. You can always pick up new machinerey down the road.

Or a used anything so long as it's in decent shape. Some really great value in buying this type of used mower
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart. I will be found by you, says the LORD
Old 02-24-2009, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Where's the for sale section of this site?
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower

Old 02-24-2009, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

2 forums up Free Equipment marketplace. Toughey's been trying to sell one, I think he lives in INDY. I thought about that one. before buying a dually.
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart. I will be found by you, says the LORD
Old 02-24-2009, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Scag has a new market entry priced at $2600 and it is a 36" WB with floating deck. It is a belt drive unit.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Does Scag deal factory direct or do I have to order it. What's it called?
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower