Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-25-2009, 01:22 AM
LawnSite Member

BS BS BS, however Ive heard ford was going to be producing thier own motors. I havn't been to impressed with any of the new trucks fuel milage. A 50k truck that gets 8mpg and is in the shop everyother week can't help your busisness.
08 Lazer Z HP 52" 23hp Kohler w/ezchute
08 Turbo Force 36" 15hp Kawi w/accelerator
Push Mower, 52" Snapper WB Backup
Sthil KM110 Kombi Edger/Pruners/brush cutter
Stihl KM 90R Kombi String Trimmer
Sthil BR 600M and 550 Blowers
Sthil HS 45 Pruners, Stihl MS 290 Saw
Huskavarna Weedeater, 340 Chain Saw
Ryan lawnare IV
Billy Goat Vac

Working my way to more work
Old 02-25-2009, 02:49 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The Navistar International diesel's Ford have been using are getting replaced By a Ford made Diesel called the Scorpion...here's an article.

"Reliable sources tell us that whatís under the hood of this pickup is much more important to Ford. Itís the all new, Ford designed ĎScorpioní 6.7-liter V8 diesel engine that will replace the current Navistar supplied 6.4-liter V8 Power Stroke by 2011.

Sources say Ford continues to make good progress testing its upcoming in-house-designed 6.7-liter V-8 diesel engine. The new engine will replace the Navistar-sourced 6.4-liter V-8 Power Stroke diesel engine in Fordís heavy-duty pickups by 2011. Code-named Scorpion, the new motor is said to pack plenty of sting ó plus a few other surprises.

The latest power targets are said to be more than 390 horsepower and 720 pounds-feet of torque. Todayís Power Stroke diesel is rated at 350 hp and 650 pounds-feet.

Scorpion fuel economy is expected to improve by 3 mpg or more compared to the current Power Stroke. Helping the Scorpionís mileage will be a new six-speed automatic transmission, like the 2009 Ford F-150 will have.

How important is this motor? The move is expected to permanently end Fordís longtime use of Navistar-built diesel engines in its heavy-duty pickups, due to an ongoing legal battle between the two companies over warranty and cost issues related to the old 6.0-liter V-8 Power Stroke (model years 2003-07). Ford has used Navistar diesels in its F-Series trucks since 1982.

Itís not yet known if the Scorpion will continue to use the Power Stroke name or if Ford will create a brand new label for the engine.

Hard to believe but from the looks of this mule, the Super Duty may grow a bit bigger than the current truck to accommodate the larger displacement Scorpion diesel. Its raised hood is taller across almost its entire width and it has an overbite, hanging slightly over the current modelís big chrome grille. "
Old 02-25-2009, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't know how much is BS. The Peterbilt related info. came from executives at the Peterbilt office right here at their truck plant in our town. The ford/Navistar part came from an article in a business magazine.
I guess we will see pretty soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Valve View Post
BS BS BS,
Old 02-25-2009, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I had heard the duramax might be leaving chevy because isuzu and them have had a falling out, isuzu is the manufacture of the duramax as you may know. the ford thing is true, my brother's employer was going to make the parts for the f150 but that project was put on hold last year when diesel prices ballooned out of control, the larger version is defiantly a go at the end of the navistar contract. I'd think if diesel prices would fall back below gas again then it might start back up. as for dodge who knows, I'd be more concerned with dodge being around another 3 years let alone what engine.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atasteofnature View Post
I was talking with my brother-in-law and he was mentioning that he over heard that the Duramax is going from the Chevys to the Fords, the Cummins is going from the Dodges to the Chevys, and Dodge is taking in the Catepillar. I was just wondering myself if anyone else has heard about this or not? Maybe I have missed the thread already for that I am sorry for bringing the question backup. Thank you all for reading the thread and everyone have a great Tuesday.
I call unreliable source for information with your "brother in law"
The only things known are Caterpillar is done with on road diesel in 2010. Cummins is sticking with Dodge, Isuzu & their Duramax is sticking with GM. Navistar is the only diesel engine manufacturer with no mate "per say" or that has "fried it's goose" with Ford. In 2010 the 1/2 ton diesels will be on the market. FORD is SOL with a proven diesel name behind it, and therefore will be last to market on these new 1/2 ton diesels, also Ford considers the 1/2 ton diesel as serious thread to it's 3/4 ton superduty segment.

If your waiting for GM or Ford to get Cummins to defect wishful thinking need apply. You will see a Toyota 1 ton Hino 8.0L In-line diesel before that happens
Old 02-25-2009, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosparkplugs View Post
<snip>.... Hino 8.0L In-line diesel before that happens
That would be good for the Williamstown, WV/Marietta, OH area.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Sure would. Hino just put a new truck plant in Williamstown about a year or so ago. With all the other industries there laying off, Hino could be a real boost to the economy, if their operation continues to grow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelyNut View Post
That would be good for the Williamstown, WV/Marietta, OH area.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am glad this has been a very good thread and has help me see things in a better light instead of the " brother-in-law" outlook!

A Taste Of Nature
GOD Bless;Genesis 1:3
Old 02-26-2009, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

First no one will be running a small cat. the reasonis not because of emissions it is simply cat decided it was not cost effective to stay in the small engine market. This was decided about a year ago maybe longer. now as far a ford running a cummins who knows and no ford does not own cummins. Many years ago ford bought what was 10 percent of cummins from cummins to help them get back on their feet. once cummins was back on their feet they bought the stock back. Do I think their will be any switches maybe so I think maybe gm to cut cost will go to the Isuzu diesel and get rid of the duramax. I think ford will stay with international and dodge will stay with cummins. Now this is all suposition especially with the auto makers sreamin about being broke.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packey View Post
I think maybe gm to cut cost will go to the Isuzu diesel and get rid of the duramax. I think ford will stay with international
Please do not listen to this person. He has shown his level of knowledge right here.