Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-28-2009, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Hey atleast you know people are seeing the flyer and paying attention.
true that.... I was gettin' a little worried, only 6-7 calls with close to 1100 flyers out... hoping it's still a little early around here. Seems like the phone rings when it's over 60 degrees around here...

CAROLINA CUTS
Landscape & Lawn Service
Not your ordinary pain in the gr@ss lawn service...
Old 02-28-2009, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I guess it has'nt hit my area yet. I have already sold $34,000 new business so far this year. Just got all my equipment out of storage and will start the maintenance March 9th. Best of luck to everyone.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Cuts View Post
here is what I'm gettin'.....

3 calls this week from Flyers.....

"Hi, ok I like your price and I will keep you in mind, and right now I'm going to call my current LCO and see if he'll match your price.... ok? Thanks..."

wtf??? of course your dude is gonna lower his price!!!

Hmmph, at least I know they're loyal...

Did you ever think you might be a low-baller?
Old 03-05-2009, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Member

I don't think he will lower his price. If one of my customers came to me and asked me to lower my price. I would not do it. Why should the customer set there own price for lawn maintenance. That's just me. nobody wants a price taken away from them and I would hope that your pride would kick in and say that is not right to do. Even with this economy you can still have a profitable business. You just have to make changes and sell off everything you don't need to run your company. If your a solo company then stay solo. If your a 2 crew business then stay that way. Take this tough time to perfect what you do. So when the economy does start to turn better you will be first in line to hit the ground running.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Also... If that potential customer is asking his current LCO to lower his price to match yours. That customer would probably not be a customer that you would want anyway. just my 2 cents
Old 03-05-2009, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Member

The customer is not loyal to his current LCO if he is asking him to lower his price. If the customer likes the work of his current LCO and the LCO shows when he says he is going to be there. Then there should be no reason for the customer to change to save a couple of bucks. you dont want those types of customers.

Last edited by Stihl036pro; 03-05-2009 at 09:40 AM. Reason: quoted wrong sentance
Old 03-05-2009, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
here is what I'm gettin'.....

3 calls this week from Flyers.....

"Hi, ok I like your price and I will keep you in mind, and right now I'm going to call my current LCO and see if he'll match your price.... ok? Thanks..."

wtf??? of course your dude is gonna lower his price!!!

Hmmph, at least I know they're loyal...
This quote is for my post above.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Did you ever think you might be a low-baller?
yea bro... bigtime... I'll cut 3 acres for $12.99.... $5.99 if they're a weekly customer...

CAROLINA CUTS
Landscape & Lawn Service
Old 03-05-2009, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
The customer is not loyal to his current LCO if he is asking him to lower his price.
well, there IS a certain amount of loyalty there... the customer IS giving the current LCO a chance to 'compete'. Turf = 3700 sqft. No edging = $35~cut = High if you ask me... but that's just my opinion. Customer is a part timer to the area.... will never be in town during the cutting season. In this economy, you take those customers... In this economy, people WILL be price shopping.

CAROLINA CUTS
Landscape & Lawn Service
Old 03-06-2009, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
well, there IS a certain amount of loyalty there... the customer IS giving the current LCO a chance to 'compete'. Turf = 3700 sqft. No edging = $35~cut = High if you ask me... but that's just my opinion. Customer is a part timer to the area.... will never be in town during the cutting season. In this economy, you take those customers... In this economy, people WILL be price shopping.
If a customer of another LCO calls you for a quote and you quote a significantly lower price - so low in fact that the customer calls his LCO to match YOUR price - you are a lowballer. The previous LCO has been mowing the lawn for X amount of years for $35 and the customer was happy and then you come in and quote $20 - you stab the other guy in the back and leave $15 on the table thus weakening the industry for everyone and hurting yourself in the process. I know it is a tough market but try not to leave money on the table it just hurts everyone.