Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-07-2009, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ummm he was cutting her yard for one season. (She just moved in last year)
I happen to have 5 other properties on the street. And flooded the community with more flyers.
Again, it's under 4000sqft of turf.... TURF.
I priced it fair.

6 postage stamp size properties on one street @ $25-
is better then 2 properties @ $35-

I didn't stab anyone in the back, (dude has a rep for never showing up and over charging).... I even gave her the opportunity to talk to her guy... he knows he has a buffer in his price (gouged) and chose NOT to match mine... he also cuts her neighbors apparently... so he's risking losing that customer as well. The LCO that does the common grounds of this community flooded the area with $25- flyers... So what's the problem?

If smart business makes me a lowballer, then so be it. My rates are $25, $30, $35 according to turf sqft.... and I stick to it...

Why does everyone preach "Lowballer" when someone can perform a service cheaper then another and still make money???

CAROLINA CUTS
Landscape & Lawn Service
Not your ordinary pain in the gr@ss lawn service...

Last edited by Carolina Cuts; 03-07-2009 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqnine44 View Post
If a customer of another LCO calls you for a quote and you quote a significantly lower price - so low in fact that the customer calls his LCO to match YOUR price - you are a lowballer. The previous LCO has been mowing the lawn for X amount of years for $35 and the customer was happy and then you come in and quote $20 - you stab the other guy in the back and leave $15 on the table thus weakening the industry for everyone and hurting yourself in the process. I know it is a tough market but try not to leave money on the table it just hurts everyone.
You're an idiot. Why do you have to call someone a lowballer? Simply because they have a lower price? Just b/c someone can perform a service at a lower price DOESN'T MAKE THEM A LOWBALLER!!!! Did Carolina cuts provide you with his financial records? Then, and only then, can you really tell whether or not he has 'lowballed' the price.

His overhead costs can be significantly lower than his competitors. Perhaps his business is built specifically for those size lawns or this account sits right between two of his other accounts and he simply can run the mower straight across all three. I don't know, you don't know...no one knows but Carolina. Think a little before making a stupid ass accusation about someone being a lowballer.

arghhh....
Old 03-07-2009, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Cuts View Post
Why does everyone preach "Lowballer" when someone can perform a service cheaper then another and still make money???
Because most people don't know what it actually costs to operate their business.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Because most people don't know what it actually costs to operate their business.
and because some mook' was upset that their account was lost to someone else.... EVERYBODY who loses a job points the finger @ the "Lowballer" and never points the finger @ themselves.

just had this conversation on this site last season.... some guy was knocking up on all my customers doors in a particular community, asking how much "I" charge, and offering them better deals to drop me.... yes, regardless of 'our history', some do choose to cut corners and cut their monthly costs. I lost 2-3 accounts.... Did I call him a lowballer??? No... but maybe he was a prick for knocking up and soliciting my customers, but dude had to do what he had to.... that's business... he had ALOT of customers in the community and he wanted more. So be it...

CAROLINA CUTS
Landscape & Lawn Service
Old 03-07-2009, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why not have low costs and still charge top dollar. The way I look at it is... If the customer is willing to pay $35 - I want $35. If they are willing to pay $37.50 - I want $37.50 it doesnt matter to me if my costs are $25 or $0.25 per lawn - I want top dollar - granted it is up to me to convice the customer I am worth it and we have to deliver a high quality job. I am not in business to save the customer $10 over a competitor - I dont do this for exercise - I do it for profit only.

Sorry if you are offended - I just dont like the idea of price shopping and matching prices. I dont want to live in that world even though I know it is coming.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
The way I look at it is... If the customer is willing to pay $35 - I want $35
understood and agree, but I quoted her on what I thought the lawn was worth.... it was THEN when she told me what she HAD been paying during the last season. I can't exactly say... "Oops, I mean $30".... because I suddenly realized she's pay more... that would be silly and unethical.

CAROLINA CUTS
Landscape & Lawn Service
Old 03-07-2009, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqnine44 View Post
Sorry if you are offended - I just dont like the idea of price shopping and matching prices. I dont want to live in that world even though I know it is coming.

That's fine. I agree about price shopping and matching prices. I hope you don't price shop for your fuel. If you do you are a hippocrite. I hope you pull into the same gas station you always do when prices top the 3 dollar mark again and the station one block down you can provide it for ten cents cheaper a gallon. Because according to your definition that lower station is a low baller, cause he can be charging 10 cents more a gallon.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB1234 View Post
That's fine. I agree about price shopping and matching prices. I hope you don't price shop for your fuel. If you do you are a hippocrite. I hope you pull into the same gas station you always do when prices top the 3 dollar mark again and the station one block down you can provide it for ten cents cheaper a gallon. Because according to your definition that lower station is a low baller, cause he can be charging 10 cents more a gallon.
Abosolutely I price shop. The same rules dont apply to me. I buy low and sell high.

There are of course customers soley motivated by price - who I try to avoid.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

it better be a good year, ive already bought more mowers to expand and start my 2nd crew this year. ive got 2 more guys waiting to go. mike, i may be coming your way, im looking at a condo in westbrook. you need to come by and check out the new house, im putting a roof on friday- tuesday?? so ill be home all weekend if you want to stop by and check it out. i bought alot of equipment too, ill show you all the deals i got. go under tractors and check out my new kubota, under "bought an L3600" tell me what you think

Mark

trucks
mowers
stuff

Sig Sauer Sercurity
Old 03-11-2009, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Company sales for January and February 09 are up almost 300% over Jan/Feb 08. Our lawn maintenance and landscaping is about flat. I've been pushing my decorative concrete division really hard and the effort is paying off despite the naysayers (whiners).