Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-28-2009, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Echo bed definer

I was at my local dealer today and they had just opened the box and i was able to check it out and wow these things are extremely heavy! Just wondering if they are worth the $650?
Old 03-01-2009, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Your dealer should have a demo model for you to test out.

Lawn care in Pensacola, Florida.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I went to the dealer today to pick up my new BR600 and while standing there I saw the bed definer hanging on the wall. I immediately walked over and started looking close at the housing and stuff to see if it was similar to the edger housing. I swear it looks the same and the only difference is the shield that they changed. I'm going to call my dealer back tomorrow and see how much a shield is going to cost. If it's not to much I'm going to order it. I'll then have yet another tool that will help make my jobs stand out and look better then the rest.

My new blower...

and the bed redefiner cutting blade.... it fits the edger shaft and housing perfectly and with the added shield, it should work just fine with my 265. Matter of fact, my neighbors probably think I'm nuts but I was out testing it on my bed edges at home here even with snow on the ground. LOL I just had to see if it worked, you know what I mean. It passed the test with flying colors and I'll find out tomorrow morning if the extra money for the shield is going to be worth it or not. If it's too much, I'll make one out of some thick sheet metal and be done.

Last edited by ALC-GregH; 03-02-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'll post the cost of everything tomorrow after I find out the price of the shield.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I just got off the phone with the dealer. The black plastic shield is only $20. I had them order it. So now I have a Echo 265 bed redefiner for a additional $150 total. and it works great.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALC-GregH View Post
I just got off the phone with the dealer. The black plastic shield is only $20. I had them order it. So now I have a Echo 265 bed redefiner for a additional $150 total. and it works great.
How do you know it works great? you don't have the parts yet.

Looks to me like there's more of a difference than just the blade and little rubber "splash shield." Isn't the blade guard totally different?

If what you say is true then they made a huge marketing mistake. And I hope that you are entirely correct as I'd be putting one together too!

But at $650 I'm not buying one. It's a very nice tool but it's also well overpriced.

Keep us informed please.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Member

I would be very hesitant of putting that blade on a SRM 265. If it was designed to work on that engine I am sure they would have used it. You don't put a 24" bar and chain on a 30 CC saw. As far as the price. I am very willing to pay the $650 if it will stop me from sending 2 guys out to hand spade edge. They can do the job in 20 minutes that took them 2 hours. I'll pay for the machine in a week then off to the races. I am going to offer bed redefining as an additional service and charge accordingly. This thing is a money maker
Old 03-03-2009, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECHO4LIFE View Post
I would be very hesitant of putting that blade on a SRM 265. If it was designed to work on that engine I am sure they would have used it. You don't put a 24" bar and chain on a 30 CC saw. As far as the price. I am very willing to pay the $650 if it will stop me from sending 2 guys out to hand spade edge. They can do the job in 20 minutes that took them 2 hours. I'll pay for the machine in a week then off to the races. I am going to offer bed redefining as an additional service and charge accordingly. This thing is a money maker
I agree about the money-making potential...you don't see many homeowners bother to edge since it's so painful I've gotten plenty of people asking over the years though and I turn them down since I'm not into the whole stooping over a stumpy shovel thing, then dealing with dirt clods.

I posted this in another thread, a reputable LCO here demoed one last week and was able to edge 300 feet of beds in just 3 minutes, pretty quick IMO.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I posted this in another thread, a reputable LCO here demoed one last week and was able to edge 300 feet of beds in just 3 minutes, pretty quick IMO
It's able to RE-EDGE maybe that many feet in 3 minutes, you cannot use this to establish the edge. It will NOT cut through roots or hard soils without them being broken up first.

I went by my dealer this morning and he said it's a fine machine but they've tried to "establish" new bed edges with it and it won't stand up to it and you'll dull that $130 blade real quick if you try.

This is a "finishing tool" not a bed edger.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ALC-GregH, that system sounds great. Great ingenuity. Congrats on the BR 600 blower! I just got one and absolutely love it. Always starts on first pull in 25 degrees, even after sitting for two weeks in sub-zero weather. Not kidding. And mine also was bought used one-year old. I am VERY impressed with the power, how quiet it is, and how it uses almost no gas compared to my old Shindaiwa EB630.