Click for Weather

Old 03-18-2010, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im interested in this working on a Redmax too
Old 03-18-2010, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

save you guys the trouble...

here is some info....

1) This is a REDEFINER.....not made for cutting new edges. Its made to run along the edges of previously cut out beds that have been rolled over and erroded over time or the winter.

2) The 265 power head will turn the tool, however its is definitely underpowered. That's why Echo used the 260. If they could have gotten away with the 265, they would have used it and been able to sell it for 50 bucks less. Lack of power will lead to overheating......and clutch slippage. To each their own.

3) The shield is specific to this tool.

4) Putting this blade on an edger will not do the same thing.

I know these things, because I have already tried them all last year. If I could sell these parts to guys and make some money, because they didn't want to spend the money on the tool itself.......I would have.

You can put an SRM280 gearbox and head on and use it as a trimmer. You just have to drill a small hold for the set screw because it's in a different location because of the edger gearbox.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I demo'ed the redefiner. it is a very handy tool and definitely a time saver. I did cut a new edge with it. Extremely handy for sharpening bed edges.

This is a very cost effective tool, The only draw back; it only cuts two inches deep.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What is retail on these now?
Old 03-18-2010, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I have used this rig. The BRD-280 bed redifiner uses a more powerful 28cc engine. The 265 uses a 25cc engine. I am sure the gearbox is different too. That blade is big and heavy and needs more power than a normal edging blade. When you let off the gas the momentum of the heavy blade keeps it spinning for a bit. I am certain that if you start tinkering with your 265 that you will lose your warranty. The only other bed redifiners out there are big 4 cycle machines with 3 or 4 wheels and they cost $3,000 to $5,000. Plus they take up a lot of space on the trailer. This bed redifiner from ECHO uses up the same sapce as an edger or a trimmer and at $650 is considerably less money.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I actually have a Shindiawa edger that I hardly use. The blade does fit and I am going to try it tomorrow. If all goes well, I may look into buying a unit. I already did 90% of my edging the old fashioned way (shovel).
Old 03-23-2010, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

hmm

Quote:
This is a very cost effective tool, The only draw back; it only cuts two inches deep.
2 inches is a little conservative. I did my yard with one this weekend and 3 inches i probably more accurate.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Member

does and one think this would work on a stihl kn110 stick edger+
Old 08-17-2010, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bought the echo bed edger last year worked great but have not needed it this year at all so if anyone is interested I would sell it. Better then just siting around. $500.00 cash LOOKS AND RUNS LIKE NEW
Old 08-17-2010, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaferhaus View Post
It's able to RE-EDGE maybe that many feet in 3 minutes, you cannot use this to establish the edge. It will NOT cut through roots or hard soils without them being broken up first.

I went by my dealer this morning and he said it's a fine machine but they've tried to "establish" new bed edges with it and it won't stand up to it and you'll dull that $130 blade real quick if you try.

This is a "finishing tool" not a bed edger.
Did you know that it's called a "Re-Definer"? It wasn't designed to cut new bed edges.