Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-01-2009, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Special Event Lighting - non low voltage

FYI, here are some pics of a project I did this week. This was a special event project it was a "Father Daughter Ball." This was not using low voltage lights. I rented the proper equipment for this project. I had 70 par 38 incandesent 300W lamps used in Coli fixtures with pink gels.

This was an experimental project. There is no one in my community that does special event lighting. I had to rent the equipment from a company in Portland OR about a 4 hr drive. With this project I have been sailing in uncharted waters all week end. The project came out alright. I still have to make the long journey back to Portland EARLY tommorrow morning. I am not sure if this is a venture worth working at.
~Ned
Attached Images

Member AOLP (CLVLT) #0852
www.nightlightingfx.com
Old 03-01-2009, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ned: The photos leave a bit to be desired, I am sure the actual results were more effective than it appears.

I got my start in theatrical and stage lighting, too many years ago to remember. I ran a theatrical stage lighting crew for 6 years. I would suggest to you that 'next time' on a venue that large, you contact a theatrical stage lighting company and see if you cannot co-operate with one of their designers. It could help you with renting the right equipment to do the job.

Event and stage lighting is an art unto itself, just like landscape lighting. As such they have their own equipment and 'tools' along with their own techniques. My guess is that guys like us are very capable of filling in the middle of the market (Marquis Tent Weddings, Outdoor parties, Staging of homes for special occasions, etc) but when it comes to large commercial venues such as Theatres, Arenas, Stages, Bandshells... well that is probably best left up to the pros.

Hope you had fun with it Ned... keep pushing the envelopes man!

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 03-01-2009, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Ned, was this an enjoyable and profitable project for you on your first go out of the box?

You know what they say nothing ventured nothing gained. I applaud you
Old 03-01-2009, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTEGRA Works Lighting View Post
Ned: The photos leave a bit to be desired, I am sure the actual results were more effective than it appears.

I got my start in theatrical and stage lighting, too many years ago to remember. I ran a theatrical stage lighting crew for 6 years. I would suggest to you that 'next time' on a venue that large, you contact a theatrical stage lighting company and see if you cannot co-operate with one of their designers. It could help you with renting the right equipment to do the job.

Event and stage lighting is an art unto itself, just like landscape lighting. As such they have their own equipment and 'tools' along with their own techniques. My guess is that guys like us are very capable of filling in the middle of the market (Marquis Tent Weddings, Outdoor parties, Staging of homes for special occasions, etc) but when it comes to large commercial venues such as Theatres, Arenas, Stages, Bandshells... well that is probably best left up to the pros.

Hope you had fun with it Ned... keep pushing the envelopes man!
James,
I had no idea what I was doing. The company I rented the equipment from does all that special lighting you mentioned. They gave me the design for this project. The gels could have been darker. All in all the Special Event organizer was happy with it. No one was disappointed.
www.nightlightingfx.com
Old 03-01-2009, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGLIGHTING View Post
Ned, was this an enjoyable and profitable project for you on your first go out of the box?

You know what they say nothing ventured nothing gained. I applaud you
Was this enjoyable - it was different so it wasn't boring. Any new experience is enjoyable. Not sure if I want to do it again. Was it profitable - It wasn't a bust, but in order for me to do something like this again I think I want to make more $$.
~Ned
www.nightlightingfx.com
Old 03-03-2009, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

70, 300 watt fixtures? 21000 watts ( 200 amps? ) of illumination sounds like a lot to me, but then, what do I know? It looks ok in the pictures, and I hope it turns into a profitable sideline for you.

I did a dance event in a horse arena a few years back and provided "mood" lighting using about 1000 7 watt bulbs strung across the ceiling similar to your pictures. we put dimmers inline on each strand and allowed them to burn full bright for the dinner and then dim for the dancing that followed. Fun project, they loved it, and profitable. but really did not lead to any other event jobs.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, a lot of watts. The facility needs to have the power and circuits available. I didn't do any other lighting only the pink lights around the perimeter. The travel of renting the equipment is a real pain in the butt. I don't expect a huge demand, and I am not excited about working in the special event environment. However, I am getting tight with my local premier special event planner if they need something they come to me. Who knows what the future will bring?
www.nightlightingfx.com
Old 03-03-2009, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it's great that you tackled the project. I think I started reading a few post about event lighting here a year or two ago. We are looking into it.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

just curious ned, how'd you come across this particular project? someone you already knew?
Old 03-04-2009, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwsmity View Post
just curious ned, how'd you come across this particular project? someone you already knew?
I have built a relationship with the premier special event planning business in my area. I started this relationship with the idea that maybe there would be a need to do some outdoor lighting for weddings etc. Since there is absolutly no special event lighting professional in our area. I started getting request for more sophisticated projects that I am not qualified for. (Still no outdoor lighting request).

I decided to do some research on businesses out side of my area that I could team up with for more sophisticated lighting projects. I found a company in Portland OR that is willing to work with me. The 4 hour drive one way makes for a real hassle, and the intense nature of a special events is not for me. So needless to say I am not excited about developing this kind of business.
~Ned
www.nightlightingfx.com