Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-01-2009, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Water drainage problem

Below is picture of the area I am working with. It is quite a steep running slope and is at the end of a circle round street so it gets some runoff from the street but mostly from the front yard, quite alot she says. There are some railroad ties beds in the front that help break up the rush when it rains. The grass is growing well so far but has begun to erode on the hill around the tree. I was thinking of a dry creek bed in the area with the arrows, removing the railroad tie horizontal on the hill at the end of the arrows. It does flare off (the water) under the tree area where it has begun to erode. Not sure how far up to start and when to end.
Any ideas??
VO
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2009, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How much water are we talking? If it is just an insane amount of water I would suggest contacting the City and seeing if they could do anything about the grade of the road. One homeowner definitely should not get all of the other neighbors' rain water. Of course that would take a long time...

If the customer is OK with the River Bed look I'd say Start at the road for starters. How deep is the property? Where does the water run once it's down the slope? If it goes into the back yard it may be pertinent to take the river bed to the end of the property. Even if the water is deflected the further into the back yard it gets, it may help the whole situation to do some grading to keep the water together and have it ride the River bed from the front yard all the way to the back yard.
If the customer is not ok with that approach I would suggest Burying a Water collection basin up by the road, wherever the water fills first. If the water just loads up on the other side of the rail road ties, cut a hole in them so the water is directed straight to the Basin. From there bury the Black plastic Drain tiles and have it go all the way to the back of the property!

That's what I would do.

Either work with the water and make a nice water feature out of it. You could even put a shallow pond at the base and pump water back to the top of the hill so even when it's not raining it will be flowing.
Or take the water from the source of the problem and run it underground so it won't cause a problem until it's off the property.
Make sure there is no Master Drainage Plan in her neighborhood before you start digging.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_mott85 View Post
How much water are we talking? Most of it comes from the rain in the yard, just a little from the street

If the customer is OK with the River Bed look I'd say Start at the road for starters. How deep is the property? Where does the water run once it's down the slope? If it goes into the back yard it may be pertinent to take the river bed to the end of the property. The property is quite deep so all the way back is prob not an option. I would suggest Burying a Water collection basin up by the road, wherever the water fills first. I like that will give it some thought.

That's what I would do.

Either work with the water and make a nice water feature out of it. You could even put a shallow pond at the base and pump water back to the top of the hill so even when it's not raining it will be flowing.
Or take the water from the source of the problem and run it underground so it won't cause a problem until it's off the property.
Make sure there is no Master Drainage Plan in her neighborhood before you start digging. She does have some drain pipes buried from her downspouts in the front of the house that go all the way to the back yard.
Thanks for the reply.
VO
Old 03-01-2009, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There ya go, if she already has the drain pipes in place it may be most economical to tie in to them, if they're not clogged and are in the right places.

Good luck.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It would probably be the other way around. A main drain tile should be buried,...and will be quite larger to handle the larger basin toward the top. Then, the eaves drains would tap into that. Not necessary, as the eaves drain tiles could run independently, but all this drainage probably could not be contained with just the eaves tile(s)

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Member

i agree if they cant get the water to go off the road somewere else. a drain would be best and tie the down spouts into it if you think its to far to run a long drain you can make a large hole at the end of the drain. you can get boxes to put in the hole , fill it siwt rocks and sand and let it perk down in the ground. that is if the yaed is not a swanp already.

Last edited by ruffs; 03-12-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Member

www.ndspro.com check this out for your drainage problems
12' TRAILER
8' TRAILER
ARIENS SNOWTHROWER
STIHL EQUIPMENT
ECHO EQUIPMENT COVERED WITH DUST
LOTS OF OTHER TOOLS

"NOT EVERYONE IS SMART ENOUGH TO BE SELF-EMPLOYED, SOMEONE HAS TO FLIP MY HAMBURGER!"

"COMMON SENSE ISNT VERY COMMON"